Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Spiritual

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 11-17-2011, 05:00 PM   #1
wolfhoundGrowl

Dojo: Black Mountain Tomiki Aikido
Northern Ireland
Aiki & Kiai

This may not be the correct place to pose this question so I'm sorry if I've chosen the wrong plce...

Please be aware I've only been training in Aikido since March 2011, I am however committed to it and very serious about learning & practising all of it's aspects.

Before finding my 'thing' in Aikido I tried Karate (3 months- turned out not to be my thing) & Judo (4 months- love it, but it's not Aikido and reading about the philosophy behind Aikido drew me from Judo to Aikido)

The philosophical element of my concerns is the origin of my question ...

For the 3 months I was trying the Karate there was the shout of 'Kiai'

As I understand it Kiai is building of energy within and then allowing it to explode out (like a volcano), where Aiki is the harmonised flow of energy (Kiai is linear and Aiki is circular ??? -I don't know, I'm just thinking)

Is there any place within Aikido for the concept of kiai as I understand it, or, is my understanding of kiai incorrect, or is kiai dispelled from practice within Aikido ???
Old 11-17-2011, 06:42 PM   #2
kewms
Re: Aiki & Kiai

You might have a look at this recent thread:
http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20475

Katherine
Old 11-18-2011, 12:18 AM   #3
Aikido Alive

Dojo: Aikido Alive London
United Kingdom

Kiai is an essential part of Aikido and should be practiced from the beginning. As with everything, it must be learned, developed and incorporated. There are many forms of kiai. No need to worry about linear or round, just keep practicing with good teachers and in time you will be able to synchronize the sound with the body movements. Kiai, or using your voice, is part of your arsenal. We want to be a full expression, utilizing every possible dimension of our being in an interaction.

A I K I L I V E
www.aikidoalive.co.uk
Old 11-18-2011, 11:31 AM   #4
wolfhoundGrowl

Dojo: Black Mountain Tomiki Aikido
Northern Ireland

Thankyou very much guys, both responses have been very helpful. I think this forum is going to be a good place to learn & share