Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 11-28-2001, 04:41 PM   #1
Caio
Dojo: Awase Dojo
Brazil
Aikido and work

Hello,

I work with human resources here in Brazil and I've been practicing Aikido for 3 years now.
I would like to know your opinion about how Aikido can help the relationship among employees and bosses, sales people and clients and other examples that you might have.
Also, I would like to know if you are aware of any kind of training or lecture that uses Aikido or other martial art to develop and improve the relationship at work.
Books will help also!
Domo Arigato!

Caio
Old 11-28-2001, 05:49 PM   #2
lt-rentaroo
Hello,

I don't know of any books, but I do have some personal experience.

I'm in the military, and I supervise troops that are both older and younger than myself. I incorporate the basic principles of Aikido in my work everyday. By "relaxing completely", I maintain a calm disposition, even when something goes less than well.

When I "keep weight underside", I'm able to prevent myself from falling in the icy parking lot outside of my office; and if I do fall, I'm able to land safely thanks to all that ukemi practice OK, that was a joke. I tend to think of "keeping weight underside" not in a physical sense, but a mental one. Put simply, prioritize. Know what is most important and get it done first, and don't let the little things pile up on your desk.

"Focus one point", this is pretty simple. Concentrate on the task at hand, don't worry about what is for dinner later or when your next pay raise will be. If you worry too much about such things, you will not accomplish the task at hand to the best of your ability because your mind is not "in the game".

"Extend Ki". OK, this one requires a little deeper explanation. My view is that this principle ties the other three together. By relaxing completely, focusing on one point, and keeping my weight underside; I will ultimately be able to better project my work (projects, assignments, etc.) in an intelligent manner and at the same time maintain a better relationship with my coworkers. If I maintain balance in my life and it reflects positively on others, then I'm in effect "extending ki". This may sound wacky, but it is essentially the same as leading by example.

Have a good day!

LOUIS A. SHARPE, JR.
Old 11-28-2001, 05:52 PM   #3
L. Camejo

Dojo: Ontario Martial Arts
Canada
Re: Aikido and work

Quote:
Originally posted by Caio
Hello,

I work with human resources here in Brazil and I've been practicing Aikido for 3 years now.
I would like to know your opinion about how Aikido can help the relationship among employees and bosses, sales people and clients and other examples that you might have.
Also, I would like to know if you are aware of any kind of training or lecture that uses Aikido or other martial art to develop and improve the relationship at work.
Books will help also!
Domo Arigato!
Hi,

I think that the integration of an individual into society and ultimately the universe as a whole is one of the primary philosophies of Aikido. As such I believe if one applies the very basic psychological concepts of Aikido to human relationships, it can only improve the "mind" or "spirit" aspect of their Aikido as well as become a platform for more mature human interaction.

A simple example occurs in the technical concept of Sangen (Triangle, Circle, Square) and how one can adopt these principles to fit different social conflict situations. I.E when a person comes with a direct verbal attack you can choose to take them "head on" and cut to the heart of the problem (triangle), blend with their argument by agreeing or some other technique (circle) or simply do nothing until the opening for an effective counter attack presents itself (square). Of course, this is my oversimplified example, it is beter explained in the book mentioned below.

Another Aikido concept as applied to interpersonal relationships involves maintaining one's centre and keeping a clear and open mind in the face of different social situations. This, as on the mat, allows one to respond with the right technique for the situation without becoming drawn into and confused by the emotional noise of certain social situations.

A beautiful book that also speaks about courses in these principles is Aikido in everyday Life: Giving in to get your way. It explains a lot of the semantics of human relations and decodes some of the unseen messages of human interrelationships with an Aikido-based system called Attack-tics.

I hope this helps.

Regards
L.C.

--Mushin Mugamae - No Mind No Posture. He who is possessed by nothing possesses everything.--
http://www.tntaikido.org
http://www.mushinkan.ca
Old 11-28-2001, 08:15 PM   #4
Erik
Re: Aikido and work

Quote:
I work with human resources here in Brazil and I've been practicing Aikido for 3 years now. I would like to know your opinion about how Aikido can help the relationship among employees and bosses, sales people and clients and other examples that you might have.
I used to do forward rolls through the accounting department at a place I once worked. They were quite entertained.

Quote:
Books will help also!
Domo Arigato!
Check out

http://www.aiki-extensions.org/

There's a ton of folks doing this sort of thing.

Many books can trace their roots back to Terry Dobsen's "Aikido in Everyday Life". Check Amazon, as there are a couple of other books, whose names elude me, written by Aikidoka that focus directly on business.
Old 11-28-2001, 08:50 PM   #5
Largo
Dojo: Aikikai Dobunkan/ Icho Ryu Aikijujutsu
United_States
Well...since I teach in a Junior high school, I can defintely think of plenty of uses for aikido at work
Old 11-28-2001, 08:57 PM   #6
Caio
Brazil
Awesome!!

It's wonderful to see how Aikido can help us on every aspects of our daily life.
Excelent link Erik!
I think that there is a huge field to be explored here.
Great posts! Keep'm coming!
Thank you very much everydody!

Caio
Old 11-29-2001, 04:59 AM   #7
Kami
Dojo: ShinToKai DoJo of AiKiDo
Thumbs down BOOKS ON AIKIDO AND MANAGEMENT

Quote:
Awesome!!

It's wonderful to see how Aikido can help us on every aspects of our daily life.
KAMI : Alô, Caio, meu amigo!
Look at www.amazon.com and www.bn.com for books by GEORGE LEONARD Sensei (he's also connected with Aiki Extensions, a group involved with Aikido and management). I'm sure those books will be important in your quest.
Boa caçada e um sempre bom Keiko

Last edited by Kami : 11-29-2001 at 05:01 AM.

"We are all teachers, and what we teach is what we need to learn, and so we teach it over and over again until we learn it".
Unknown author

Ubaldo Alcantara
Old 11-29-2001, 06:45 AM   #8
Caio
Brazil
Olá Ubaldo,

thanks for the tips, I'll surely go after these books by George Leonard.
Are you aware of any company or consultant developing anything similar in Brazil?

Caio
Old 11-29-2001, 08:49 AM   #9
ranZ

Dojo: Ki no Kenyukai/Jakarta
Hi Caio,

u can also look into a book by Koichi Tohei, iinm it's titled "Ki in Daily Live".
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...016915-4082963

hey amazon's got sample pages, pretty cool.

Last edited by ranZ : 11-29-2001 at 08:55 AM.
Old 11-29-2001, 09:16 AM   #10
Caio
Brazil
I have that one

But thanks anyway (Y)

Caio
Old 11-29-2001, 09:18 AM   #11
Caio
Brazil
Thumbs down