Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 12-18-2000, 11:20 AM   #1
Spudza100
Dojo: Seishinkan
Smile

Hello people,
This is my first post so i hope its ok
Anyway is anyone or does anyone know anyone who is disabled in some way and does a martial art, i would especially like tho know about those who do Aikido....cos i do that...

well thats it
hope to hear from u soon
Spud
Old 12-18-2000, 12:33 PM   #2
akiy

Hi Spudza100,

Please be sure to sign your posts with your real name as it is a Forum rule. Thank you.

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!
Old 12-18-2000, 03:20 PM   #3
Spudza100
Dojo: Seishinkan
Quote:
Spudza100 wrote:
Hello people,
This is my first post so i hope its ok
Anyway is anyone or does anyone know anyone who is disabled in some way and does a martial art, i would especially like tho know about those who do Aikido....cos i do that...

well thats it
hope to hear from u soon
Spud
Sorry.....

Ross
Old 12-19-2000, 02:22 AM   #4
Creature_of_the_id

Dojo: Alnwick aikido club (UKAU)
England
Talking

Hi,
I dont really know someone who is disabled and does aikido, but,
I do remember once, we had one of our big international summer schools and there was someone who was disabled there.
She was sitting at the end of the mat, as she was not able to use her legs ( I think there was some mental illness also). and people would go and train with her and she throughily enjoyed it.
I practiced with her myself, it was great to see the smile on her face, yes the technique obviously was not going to be too effective. But, she was enjoying it thoughrily, and for me that is the whole point. I do aikido because I love it, and for me training with someone else who loves aikido and gets enjoyment out of aikido feels alot better than training with someone who technically is excellent, but doesnt have that glint in there eye that says "yes! this is what it is all about"

I have also heard of aikido being taught to people in wheel chairs, but i have not witnessed it.

Love and all inclusive training
Kev
Old 12-19-2000, 02:41 AM   #5
Erik
I've personally trained with a blind person and if I remember correctly a deaf person. Somewhere in the dank resources of my mind it seems like I've read something about someone training in a wheelchair and I'm getting visions of a one-armed Aikidoka as well. I personally can't verify the last 2 though.
Old 12-19-2000, 09:32 AM   #6
akiy

I've been on the mat with one blind person (the same one to which Erik refers), one person who was at least partially paraplegic (had to be lifted out of her wheelchair to sit onto the mat), and one person who was born without arms. They were all doing their own version of aikido -- much as the rest of us do, too...

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!
Old 12-19-2000, 03:00 PM   #7
Russ
Dojo: Pacific Aikido Kensankai
Trained with a blind woman at a seminar. Great tenkan and a very connected nikkyo.
Old 12-19-2000, 10:57 PM   #8
ze'ev erlich

Dojo: Masatake Dojo - Israel Aikikai
Israel
Smile rehabili aikido

hello

here is our site for
aikido for the disabled
http://members.nbci.com/_XMCM/aikikan/rehajap.html
it is in english, japanese and hebrew.

hoping that you too will open your dojo's gates to pleople with disabilities.

yours

ze'ev
aikikan

[Edited by ze'ev erlich on December 19, 2000 at 11:03pm]

Ze'ev from Masatake Dojo Rehovot
www.aikikai.org.il
Israeli Aikikai

Old 12-20-2000, 12:55 PM   #9
qwerty
Dojo: Aikikai of Asheville
Smile

Interesting and happy to see that there are people, however limited they are, that can enjoy the positive benefits of Aikido. Physically, I'm fine but do have a hearing loss and at can times I have a hard time trying to hear and understand what the instructors are saying in a crowd of people participating. I'm hoping to meet more deaf or hard of hearing aikido practitioners and I've dedicated my website for that purpose hoping to bring like deaf/hard of hearing aikido practioners together.

How many deaf or hard or hearing aikido practioners are out there? Problems encountered while on the dojo? Etc. That I'd like to know. I know that there are few and far in between.

Thanks...

Mike

[Edited by qwerty on December 20, 2000 at 01:04pm]

Harmony is becoming one with the bed without the noise.
Mike McConnell
Old 01-07-2001, 05:07 PM   #10
Chocolateuke
Dojo: Muhu Dojo
Location: Middle of nowhere in California 14 miles from Buellton
I was born deaf in my right ear and Have a half good left ear. hearing went down 12 % over this summer and then when school started it jumped up 5 % so for a tottal of 6 % loss over the summer of 2000.
anyhow I encounter problems of hearing the teacher but having an aid is cool I can turn off my ears!! I am startign to train without my aid!

Dallas Adolphsen