Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 09-06-2008, 09:51 AM   #26
Enrique Antonio Reyes
Dojo: Yuugou Aikido Kaisho
Philippines
Lightbulb Re: First Aikido Memory

Ha ha here's mine...
A senior student asks me to grab his wrist. I did. Tried to apply a technique. I let go. He asks me to grab it again. I did. He tried to apply a technique but I let go of his wrist (again). He asked me not to let go. I said that it's my natural reaction. He then insisted that I shouldn't let go. So I grabbed his wrist and didn't let go. He tried to apply a technique but couldn't break my hold. He asked me to let go...I got confused.

My first memory is confusing
Old 09-09-2008, 03:06 PM   #27
Michael Cornelius

Dojo: Aikido of Lincoln
United_States
Re: First Aikido Memory

"Stacy" and "Kim": Blond. Older than me; I was 17, and a senior in high school. They were roommates, and both worked at the swimsuit boutique at the mall. I had a friend who worked at the shoe store across the way, which allowed me to make excuses to stammer in their general direction. At some point, it came out that they studied "aikido".

I made a special point to get my butt to the library (back then the internet was called "the library") and find out what the heck "aikido" was all about...

Oh, you said training memory...

Lying on my back slapping the mat over and over, and thinking, "Well, this isn't too difficult." Why do you ask?
Old 09-12-2008, 11:30 AM   #28
CarrieP

United_States

Frustration. Lots and lots of frustration. But I expected that going in.

To paraphrase Kennedy, "We do not choose to go to the dojo because it is easy, we choose to go to the dojo because it is hard."

Thankfully, during and after each class, I could see a tiny, tiny bit of improvement each time. And once I got through my first few months, both the soreness and the mental frustration abated. Didn't go away entirely, but I'm not in danger of crying on the mat anymore. At least, most days.
Old 09-12-2008, 12:53 PM   #29
dalen7

Dojo: Karcag Aikido Club
Hungary

I was wearing a sweat suit and doing a roll... *rip* goes the seams down the crotch of the pants.

Luckily Sensei had a clean pair of white dogi pants he let me use.

Peace

dAlen

p.s.
more recent, my dogi pants started to split while in seiza. (Sounded like a fart was ripped. The kids at the end giggled.)
Looked later and all seemed well - but the seams were loose...next time in seiza - big rip, and I was quick to explain it was indeed the pants and not some rogue fart let loose upon everyone.

Dont know why I have such an issue with pants now that I think about it.

Last edited by dalen7 : 09-12-2008 at 12:58 PM.

dAlen [day•lynn]
dum spiro spero - {While I have breathe - I have hope}

Art
http://www.lightofinfinity.org

Philosophical
http://dalen7.wordpress.com
Old 09-12-2008, 12:59 PM   #30
dalen7

Hungary

Another memory is stressing out the 2nd kyu who was teaching me at first, because I just didnt get it. (The language was different as well as Aikido.)

He stayed well away from me until I was able to rank and he knew I finally had a clue about some aspects of Aikido.

nice not to cause frustration now due to my slow learning.

Peace

dAlen

p.s.
But along with that came the inspiration to seek out information elsewhere.
Thats how I found you guys here at Aiki web as well as the Aikido 3D software which helped me a lot.
(Some of you guys have had great comments which have gone a long ways, thanks for your time...you know who you are.)

dAlen [day•lynn]

Art

Philosophical
Old 09-12-2008, 01:03 PM   #31
dalen7

Hungary

Quote:
Enrique Antonio Reyes wrote: View Post
Ha ha here's mine...
A senior student asks me to grab his wrist. I did. Tried to apply a technique. I let go. He asks me to grab it again. I did. He tried to apply a technique but I let go of his wrist (again). He asked me not to let go. I said that it's my natural reaction. He then insisted that I shouldn't let go. So I grabbed his wrist and didn't let go. He tried to apply a technique but couldn't break my hold. He asked me to let go...I got confused.

My first memory is confusing
That is classic!
Hey sounds a bit familiar as well. lol

Peace

dAlen

dAlen [day•lynn]

Art

Philosophical
Old 09-12-2008, 04:48 PM   #32
Mark Uttech
Dojo: Yoshin-ji Aikido of Marshall

Onegaishimasu. So Dalen, the thread is about your first aikido memory. I think you've posted three times now; surely you have discovered beginner's mind! But the thing is, our first aikido memory is what it is. We may remember something else later on, but that something else can't be first.

In gassho,

Mark

- Right combination works wonders -
Old 09-13-2008, 09:04 AM   #33
dalen7

Hungary

Quote:
Mark Uttech wrote: View Post
Onegaishimasu. So Dalen, the thread is about your first aikido memory. I think you've posted three times now; surely you have discovered beginner's mind! But the thing is, our first aikido memory is what it is. We may remember something else later on, but that something else can't be first.

In gassho,

Mark
You have a point for sure Mark - and my apologies going down memory lane.

One memory of the ripped pants came first, but as strong was the one of the 2nd Kyu becoming tired of me not getting the gist of how to move in the beginning.

Peace

dAlen

p.s.
One was my right brains first memory, and the other was my left brains.

p.s.s.
Just in case you were serious about being concerned about my 3 post...the third one was replying to someone else.
You know, conversation, being nostalgic together...having fun in the forum. (Didnt take it as a strict, solemn ceremony.)

Last edited by dalen7 : 09-13-2008 at 09:07 AM.

dAlen [day•lynn]

Art

Philosophical
Old 09-13-2008, 01:55 PM   #34
Aikipad
Dojo: Sully near Cardiff in Wales
United_States

My first memory of aikido, that takes me back, I was a young boy about 10 and my friend had started aikido (i asked him if it was some kind of magic ) I saw all these people flying around the mat, or so it seemed to me and I thought this looked like fun and so I captured by aikido.

I felt happy

Always practice the art of peace in a vibrant and joyful maner
Old 09-15-2008, 12:56 PM   #35
CarrieP

United_States

Odd about the pants, Dalen, but thanks for sharing.

Though now it's got me seriously wanting to nickname you "Captain Tightpants."

(if you don't get the reference, let me know).