Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Supplies

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 05-04-2006, 03:03 PM   #1
Jimmy L
Scotland
Confused First Gi

Hi,

I'm pretty new to aikido but have been doing it for a few weeks and am enjoying it immensely and i have been thinking about getting a gi.

Can anyone give me any advice on where to buy one and what type to get.

Thanks, Jamie
Old 05-04-2006, 03:15 PM   #2
Michael O'Brien
Dojo: Nashville Aikikai
United_States
Re: First Gi

Jamie,

Many times your dojo or Sensei will be selling gi's and that is your best place to look. If not, then there are a ton of martial arts websites where you can mail order them or if you have a martial arts store local to your town then they will carry them.

Some people prefer the karate gi which is lighter in weight and cooler. Others prefer the judo gi which is a heavier material. This will offer more long term durability from the grabbing and being thrown as well as offer a little extra padding for you as you hit the mat. It also adds a little extra warmth during the cooler months.

I have one of each and generally wear the judo gi over the cooler months or anytime I know we are going to be a lot of falling/throws. Then in the summer, or if I know we will be doing more weapons work I'll break out the karate gi.

Just some thoughts to get you started.

Harmony does not mean that there are no conflicts,
for the dynamic spiral of existence embraces both extremes.
Old 05-04-2006, 06:04 PM   #3
thomas_dixon
United_States

Here are a few sites if you want to buy on the internet:

http://e-bogu.com
http://judogis.com
http://toraki.com
http://bujindesign.com
http://howardliu.com
http://bogubag.com
http://kodokangear.com
http://karatedepot.com

Most of the sites above have great customer service, so you can ask them if you have any questions regarding their products, and they'll usually reply very swiftly. (that includes questions about sizing, quality of the material, their personal suggestions for you, etc)

Personally I own one of these and it's been really good so far.

I'd recommend a judogi...the karate ones tend to tear a lot from what I hear, and judogi are simply made to withstand the test of ... well ... Judo :P

Last edited by thomas_dixon : 05-04-2006 at 06:08 PM.
Old 05-04-2006, 11:10 PM   #4
kaishaku

Absolutely. All the cool kids wear judo gi. I"ve got a Tiger Claw Hayashi that's pretty fantastic, you could full resistance grapple in it without fear -- wait, I do!
Old 05-05-2006, 04:06 AM   #5
thomas_dixon
United_States

Quote:
Keith Krajewski wrote:
Absolutely. All the cool kids wear judo gi. I"ve got a Tiger Claw Hayashi that's pretty fantastic, you could full resistance grapple in it without fear -- wait, I do!
My Sensei, and many of the people in my dojo use Tiger Claw Hayashi, and I had it personally recommended to me by a friend of mine who is also a sensei.

The problem was, I couldn't find a place that sold them that had a return policy (that didnt' consist of 'No returns for uniforms.').
Old 05-05-2006, 06:42 AM   #6
SmilingNage
United_States

When you buy the hvy weight gi beware of placing it in the dryer right away as they will shrink, alot. Wash it a few times and air dry it. Dont place it in the dryer until you are happy with how it fits you after washing it and air drying a few times.

Dont make me, make you, grab my wrist.
Old 05-05-2006, 07:36 AM   #7
Ed Stansfield

Dojo: Mason Street Dojo
United Kingdom

Hello,

Personally, I prefer a judo gi to a karate one. Sometimes though, as a beginner, you might just want to get a gi that looks like everyone elses . . .

A UK website that sells what are described as "Aikido Gis" is ninecircles but I've never ordered from them or seen any of their stuff, so I can't recommend one way or the other.

My advice would be to talk to the people at your club and if there's someone your size who has a gi that seems to fit them, find out where they got it and what size it is.

Best,

Ed

It is a good thing for an uneducated man to read books of quotations.

Winston Churchill, 1930.
Old 05-05-2006, 08:29 AM   #8
j0nharris
Dojo: Kododan Aikido USA
United_States

Often times buying them through the dojo can get you a better price... as a dojo, we get a discount from our supplier that we can pass on to our students.
Then by the time the holidays roll around, all your family will see how much you love aikido, & you can get a top quality gi as a gift from someone!

jon harris

Life is a journey...
Now, who took my @#$%! map?!
Old 05-05-2006, 10:58 AM   #9
kaishaku

Quote:
Thomas Dixon wrote:
My Sensei, and many of the people in my dojo use Tiger Claw Hayashi, and I had it personally recommended to me by a friend of mine who is also a sensei.

The problem was, I couldn't find a place that sold them that had a return policy (that didnt' consist of 'No returns for uniforms.').
I got mine from a local shop, the owner of which looked at me and said "Six two? Hm. Try on this 6." I did, and it seemed ridiculously large -- but once I washed and dried it, it fit perfectly. One of the disadvantages of buying online....
Old 05-05-2006, 12:06 PM   #10
Dajo251
Dojo: Aikido Downtown
United_States

Quote:
Keith Krajewski wrote:
I have a bad habit of blowing out the seems onthe pants of tigerclaw gis, the tops are great,

Dan Hulley
Old 05-05-2006, 05:40 PM   #11
thomas_dixon
United_States

Quote:
Keith Krajewski wrote:
I got mine from a local shop, the owner of which looked at me and said "Six two? Hm. Try on this 6." I did, and it seemed ridiculously large -- but once I washed and dried it, it fit perfectly. One of the disadvantages of buying online....
Not exactly. I wrote the owner of judogis.com (really nice guy named Russ) and e-bogu.com support (Mr. Toya is very helpful) and they both helped me pick out a size which fits nicely. (They're all martial artists who have a good amount of experience so thats always a plus)

You do have to take into account shrinkage, but hang drying heavyweight judo uwagi (top)? Those things are like towels...it'd take _days_ for them to dry. I tried it and it didn't work out. I just put it in the dryer on high heat and let it dry. Even when I pull it out after 30 or so minutes and the rest of the dogi is bone dry the lapels on the uwagi are still damp :P The zuban (pants) are another story though..they're usually much thinner than the top, so I suppose hang drying them wouldn't be a problem.

Just my opinion.

Oh yeah...suggestion: Don't wear a colored shirt under the dogi that isn't a synthetic fiber (i.e don't wear a black/red/blue cotton shirt, a white one is fine) as you may get dye transfer...I still have some lavander areas on the inner seam of the zuban It was a stupid thing to do, but I figured that out the hard way.
Old 05-09-2006, 07:01 PM   #12
kaishaku

Quote:
Thomas Dixon wrote:
You do have to take into account shrinkage, but hang drying heavyweight judo uwagi (top)? Those things are like towels...it'd take _days_ for them to dry.
Two days does the trick, actually. I come home after Monday morning class, hand wash my gi, hang it up, and by Wednesday morning it's dry.
Old 05-12-2006, 10:32 AM   #13
Jimmy L
Scotland
Smile Re: First Gi

Thanks for all the help guys .

Also what colour of Gi should i get - as a begginer is it normal to get a white gi or does it not matter?
Old 05-12-2006, 11:52 AM   #14
Dajo251
United_States

ask your sensei what color, most of the time white is the norm for aikido

Dan Hulley
Old 05-13-2006, 04:16 PM   #15
Neal Earhart

Dojo: New York Aikikai / Aikido of Westchester
United_States

As previous posters have mentioned, ask your Sensei regarding your Gi selection. Your Dojo may have Gi for sale, and/or your Sensei may recommend a vendor.

Since you have just started, one Gi is probably sufficient. You should be able to easily wash and dry it between classes. Wash your Gi after each practice...nobody likes working out with people whose Gi has developed an unpleasant odor As you continue to practice, you will find the need to have multiple Gi's.

I personally prefer Judo Gi, since they tend to last longer than Karate Gi, especially the lightweight ones. However, there are a lot of people who use Karate Gi.

A couple other vendors for Gi are:

http://us.hatashita.com/
http://tozando.com/en/index.html

After practicing for a few months/years, you will eventually find what is most comfortable for you
Old 05-18-2006, 04:26 AM   #16
Jimmy L
Scotland
Talking Re: First Gi

Thanks for all the help.

I have now bought a gi. It is a white judo gi and i am looking forward very much to trying it out next week.

Thanks again
Old 05-18-2006, 09:10 AM   #17
Dajo251
United_States

it'll be stiff and kinda uncomforable at first, but dont worry that will fade

Dan Hulley
Old 05-18-2006, 01:01 PM   #18
Jimmy L
Scotland

It should be i guess, but ( luckly? ) i managed to get mine second hand from a friend's uncle who used to do aikido so it is very soft and great to wear