Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Training

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 11-30-2004, 11:56 AM   #1
fatebass21

Dojo: Westminster Tenshinkai Aikido Dojo
United_States
Coffee Before Class

I began studying Aikido almost a year ago. I can remember that I used to have alot more energy at my disposal during class, than I do now. It is definetely not a loss of interest thing of any kind. I drink coffee, but dont have one before class, cause I dont want my mind to be racing!

What does everyone think about coffee before class?
Old 11-30-2004, 12:01 PM   #2
Beau
United_States
Re: Coffee Before Class

Chris,
Have you made any drastic dietary changes and/or lifestyle changes over the past year?

Beau
Old 11-30-2004, 03:28 PM   #3
Rocky Izumi
Dojo: GUST Aikido Club
Kuwait

Coffee before class. Ah. Mix that with roll-till-you-puke exercise and you have an interesting combination! Seems the coffee makes a lot of people more aware of the vertigo created by rolling.

Rock
Old 11-30-2004, 03:35 PM   #4
andylucas
United_States

coffee good !!!!!!!! would juan valdez steer you wrong i think not.
Old 11-30-2004, 04:32 PM   #5
fatebass21

United_States

Beau

Over the past year i have not made any lifestyle/dietary changes other than eating alot healthier, quiting smoking, and working out alot more (running/lifting). But for the most part i had already started these routines before i started studying.

-chris-
Old 11-30-2004, 05:53 PM   #6
gtan

I do drink alot of coffee on normal days, but I do not drink coffee before a class. On days that I have had a coffee within 3 hours before a class, I find that my stomach acts up during ukemi ( seldom ), but I am definitely more lethargic during class and more tired after class.

My personal opinion is I think its because coffee generally dehydrates the body and the inability to retain enough water could be detrimental during exercise in general.

That being the case, I generally stay away from coffee before exercise, at least 3hrs or more.
Old 11-30-2004, 10:03 PM   #7
maikerus
Dojo: Roppongi Yoshinkan Aikido / Roppongi, Tokyo, Japan
Japan

Genki drinks...much better than coffee. I have no idea if they sell anything like them outside of Japan, but Regain and Royal Jelly drinks and the various Vitamin Supplement Energy drinks will certainly perk you up for a class. And they come in these really tiny bottles, so probably you won't be tempted to throw them up during ukemi.

Not that I know first hand, you understand. I've only heard. I don't depend on them of course. I can quit anytime.

Actually, I do know a hombu dojo instructor who made sure they had some on hand before conducting a seminar because I was sent to buy them. Imagine that.

--Michael

Hiriki no yosei 3 - The kihon that makes your head ache instead of your legs
Old 12-01-2004, 12:48 AM   #8
Charles Hill
Dojo: Numazu Aikikai/Aikikai Honbu Dojo

Quote:
Michael Stuempel wrote:
Genki drinks...much better than coffee.
That`s because most of them have at least as much caffeine in them as a cup of coffee!

By the way, I heard somewhere that Ikeda Hiroshi Sensei drinks a huge amount of coffee. Before and after class.

Charles Hill
Old 12-01-2004, 01:06 AM   #9
diesel
Dojo: Tenshin
Japan

It has been proven that caffeine, like nicotine, can temporarily boost performance. What the time differential for optimal intake and expenditure is I do not know. I know sometimes I drink a cup of coffee about an hour before class and never have problems with ukemi or needing to vomit, an we train pretty intensely.
When I was in the states, I would never drink energy drinks before class (red bull etc.) but I might have one after class. Taurine is the ingredient in most energy drinks that gives a speedy effect, more so then the caffeine as most people are used to caffeine and have a tolerance.
I think alot of this can depend on how fast your body processes the substances.. Take in to account that caffeine does dehyrdate the body as it processed. As for taurine, I do not know if it is processed in the same manner as caffeine as it is an amino acid...

As for the genki drinks in japan, I have had them before and after classes here and never noticed a difference. (The gel ones are really disgusting!!) I think once it gets colder I might drink more before class.

Remember, you can always get decaff

Gambatte,
Eric
Old 12-01-2004, 01:32 AM   #10
batemanb

Dojo: Seibukan Aikido UK

I've never drunk coffee before a class, but whenever I am in Japan and go to asaren (morning keiko), I often pop into Lawson and grab a genki drink. This is because I usually get up around 5:45 and dash straight out to keiko without time for breakfast. I do find that a genki drink seems to benefit me, wakes me up a bit and gives me an energy boost, whether that is psychological or genuine I have no idea, but who cares, it works .

rgds

Bryan

A difficult problem is easily solved by asking yourself the question, "Just how would the Lone Ranger handle this?"
Old 12-01-2004, 01:50 AM   #11
maikerus
Dojo: Roppongi Yoshinkan Aikido / Roppongi, Tokyo, Japan
Japan

Quote:
Charles Hill wrote:
That`s because most of them have at least as much caffeine in them as a cup of coffee!
Well, yeah...not to mention nicotine and Vitamin B-12 and other stuff that I am sure is banned by the Olympic committee as well <g>

What I want to know is whatever happened to those "morning after the night before" drinks that were around up until a couple of years ago. Not that I miss them. Or used them. Really. I was just told by a friend that they worked

cheers,

--Michael

Hiriki no yosei 3 - The kihon that makes your head ache instead of your legs
Old 12-01-2004, 06:03 AM   #12
suniskai
Dojo: Heriot Watt Uni, Edinburgh Shodokan
United Kingdom

To digress....

I had a 2 day old constantly simmered chilli before class last night - absolutely delicious, but not to be recommended before anything other than sitting quietly and probably on your own too.....

Old 12-01-2004, 06:47 AM   #13
j0nharris
Dojo: Kododan Aikido USA
United_States

Coffee or espresso will sometimes give me a touch of heartburn if I have it too close to class, so I will usually have tea in the afternoon, black or green. Also a good way to get the anti-oxidants... .

jon harris

Life is a journey...
Now, who took my @#$%! map?!
Old 12-01-2004, 07:26 PM   #14
Michael Young

Dojo: Alamo City Aikido

mmmmm...coffee, precious coffee. Before most classes I catch a cup or two at my favorite place that is on the way to the dojo. For me, its just because I love the taste of coffee, not for a performance boost. Even if I don't have a cup though, I really don't notice a difference in my energy level..but that's just me, everybody's body chemistry is different. You just have to figure out what is right or wrong for you.
As far as health benefits go, excess is always not recommended by everything I've read. There are plenty of studies that show coffee is high in anti-oxidants as well, and if filtered has health benefits. Unfiltered coffe drinks, like espresso and the like, contain saturated fats that aren't heart healthy...but they're mmmmsooo good...I advocate coffee for the body and soul .

Mike
Old 12-01-2004, 08:37 PM   #15
davoravo
energy levels

Dear Chris

How often are you training. Your tiredness may be due to glucagon depletion ("over training") especially if you are doing a lot of running and weight lifting as well.

The easy solution is to eat more.

David McNamara
Old 12-01-2004, 09:02 PM   #16
SeiserL

United_States

I train at 8:00 AM, so yes, its coffee before and after class, thank you.

Lynn Seiser PhD
Yondan Aikido & FMA/JKD
We do not rise to the level of our expectations, but fall to the level of our training. Train well. KWATZ!
Old 12-02-2004, 09:51 AM   #17
kung fu hamster

If you started a year ago then I think it's natural that you feel more tired in class now than you did then. When you started you were doing beginning tai sabaki and just learning where to put your feet, how to take a fall, all fairly slowly I assume. Now I suppose you are at the point where you are rolling around and taking some hard falls, working quickly and changing partners/techniques at a pace that would have made your head spin when you first started. Don't know if coffee would help, I would say try not to ingest too much sugary stuff before class so you won't experience a sugar dump of energy. My teacher claims it kind of perks him up to have coffee, but from personal experience I know I must avoid it.

Last edited by kung fu hamster : 12-02-2004 at 09:54 AM.
Old 12-02-2004, 11:05 AM   #18
Jerry Miller

United_States
Thumbs down Re: Coffee Before Class

I work late and therefore attend late morning classes. I drink three cups with cream to get started for the day. So I must partake before stumbling into the dojo.

Jerry Miller
Old 12-02-2004, 04:42 PM   #19
fatebass21

United_States

All very good suggestions. Thanks alot everyone!

-Chris-
Old 12-02-2004, 07:26 PM   #20
Bryan
United_States

Coffee is very acidic, rolling around with it in your belly can't be too easy for the stomach to handle. Personally I find it revolting, just the smell of it makes me want to toss my cookies.

"Energy Drinks" like redbull and such ...contain other stimulants such as Taurine, but like Taurine, they a just another form of caffiene. Combine that with a boat load of sugar, which they do, and you'll be buzzing. Drink 2 Mountain Dews for the same effect and calories, you'll just have to pee more.

Most suppliments/workout sources I've read recomend you take your stimulants 30 minutes prior to your workout to maximize effect and minimize side-effects. It works for me so far.

just my $.02
Old 12-02-2004, 09:30 PM   #21
Holly Nesbeitt

Quote:
coffee generally dehydrates the body and the inability to retain enough water could be detrimental during exercise in general
Coffee is a diuretic, but for some reason the diuretic effects are suspended during exercise. Scientific studies and personal experience bear this out. It's still probably not as good as just having water before class, but it won't dehydrate you (as badly?) if you're exercising.
Old 12-02-2004, 09:47 PM   #22
PeterR

Dojo: Shodokan Honbu (Osaka)
Japan

I don't know about suspended. I've had to give up my second after lunch coffee is I am to train in the afternoon.

Peter Rehse Shodokan Aikido
Old 12-03-2004, 08:11 PM   #23
Chad Scott
Dojo: Hombu Aikikai
Japan

I used to drink a can of coffee 30 minutes before practice, and it seemed to help me perform better. But then I went to a practice that was more intense than usual, and it made me nauseous.

Since then, I don't do coffee before practice; instead, I just dig down deep and give my all. It gives me more confidence knowing I am doing it myself instead of relying on caffeine and sugar.