Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Open Discussions

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 04-13-2011, 08:21 PM   #301
David Orange
Dojo: Aozora Dojo
United_States
Re: The fact that you believe a nuclear plant can explode....

Quote:
David Orange wrote: View Post
...how about a prediction on how long people will be excluded from a 25 mile radius of the plant?

One more week, maybe?

Or more like 1 to 10 years?

I seriously doubt any of those people will be going back to their perfectly good homes in less than 5 years.
I see that the exclusion zone is actually twelve miles, though I have read recently that they were extending it to Iitate, which is 24 miles from the plant. High radiation has been found there. I understood that the town had been evacuated and the exclusion zone had been extended that far.

From The Japan Times: "A test Sunday found 12000 becquerels per kg of radioactive iodine and 13000 becquerels per kg of cesium in shiitake harvested in Iitate. ..."

So it's the 30-year half-life cesium that's showing up in Iitate, in greater amounts than the iodine. The cesium is the same thing that still contaminates areas in Germany and France from the Chernobyl explosion (or should I say "combustion"?).

David

"That which has no substance can enter where there is no room."
Lao Tzu

"Eternity forever!"

www.esotericorange.com
Old 04-14-2011, 07:36 AM   #302
Tenyu
Dojo: Aikibodo
United_States

Substantial xenon forecasted over North America currently:

Link

More in depth coverage of radioactivity accumulation and forecast:

Link

Grass-fed dairy - milk, yogurt, cheese, butter currently bioaccumulates fallout.

Grain-fed dairy currently has no bioaccumulation as grains are stored from the previous year. Next year they should bioaccumulate from this year's crops.
Old 04-14-2011, 11:05 AM   #303
Tenyu
United_States

Hundreds of thousands, at the minimum, of Japanese should be evacuated right now as I type this as proven by the following soil comparisons to Chernobyl. The government and TEPCO have known this for weeks, yet still refuse to extend the exclusion zone. They're more concerned with their image and money than putting all those people's lives under life-threatening radioactivity. This is unbelievably sad.

Old 04-14-2011, 11:06 AM   #304
Tenyu
United_States

Link
Old 04-19-2011, 06:40 PM   #305
David Orange
United_States
Ah....one other thing, ma'am....

Quote:
Katherine Derbyshire wrote: View Post
But the evidence that the reactor vessel at Fukushima actually failed remains quite slim...
You told me that none of your clients (as far as you know) is involved in nuclear energy....

I can accept that.

But I was thinking the other night and it occurred to me: do you have any stocks or other investments in any company that is involved with nuclear energy? Maybe direct ownership stake? Maybe in your 401K?

GE would certainly count.

How about it? Any financial interests that might lend some weight to your confident opinions?

David

Lao Tzu

"Eternity forever!"

www.esotericorange.com
Old 04-22-2011, 01:42 PM   #306
Tenyu
United_States

It only took several days before they reported this in the media. They probably wanted to make sure it wasn't a 'serious shutdown' first.

Quote:
NEW YORK -(Dow Jones)- Southern Co. (SO) said Friday that equipment failure didn't cause the emergency shutdown of a Georgia nuclear-power reactor and that the plant will be restarted after parts are replaced as a precaution.
One of the two nuclear reactors at the Vogtle Electric Generating Plant, located 26 miles east of Augusta, "automatically tripped from 100% power" and followed normal system procedures for doing so, according to a report filed to the U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission.
An investigation by Southern Co., which operates the plant and owns a controlling stake in the nuclear facility, "has not identified or isolated any apparent equipment failure," spokeswoman Alyson Fuqua said in an email. This "is not a safety related issue," she added.

Read more: http://www.foxbusiness.com/industrie...#ixzz1KHZcOSYQ
Old 04-27-2011, 01:02 PM   #307
Tenyu
United_States

Methane report.
Old 04-27-2011, 01:14 PM   #308
Tenyu
United_States

Here's someone profiting from a real local solution:

Link

Link
Old 04-27-2011, 02:52 PM   #309
Keith Larman
Dojo: AIA, Los Angeles, CA
United_States
Re: Ah....one other thing, ma'am....

Quote:
You told me that none of your clients (as far as you know) is involved in nuclear energy....

I can accept that.

But I was thinking the other night and it occurred to me: do you have any stocks or other investments in any company that is involved with nuclear energy? Maybe direct ownership stake? Maybe in your 401K?

GE would certainly count.

How about it? Any financial interests that might lend some weight to your confident opinions?

David
Geez... I don't necessary agree with everything Ms. Derbyshire had to say, but is this really necessary? And what does it have to do with the substance of her arguments? Maybe you should ask for her "Long form" birth certificate too, just in case.

Old 04-27-2011, 06:25 PM   #310
David Orange
United_States
Re: Ah....one other thing, ma'am....

Quote:
Keith Larman wrote: View Post
Geez... I don't necessary agree with everything Ms. Derbyshire had to say, but is this really necessary? And what does it have to do with the substance of her arguments?
I only mention it because we discussed being paid by nuclear interests and it returned to me that she said "none of her clients," which is one thing, but made me wonder. And that came up because I'm supposed to complete Conflict of Interest IRB training for my coordinating position in a study. Which made me remember that clients are not the only way one can be paid by a given interest. It would only mean that her assurances of the benign significance of the Fukushima incident might be an optimisitic investor's reply to a theoretical threat to the value of the stock.

Quote:
Maybe you should ask for her "Long form" birth certificate too, just in case.
It was actually my impression of that TV detective that always had one last thought that led to one last question.

I always thought the birth certificate stuff was just distraction.

If one parent is a US citizen, the child is a US citizen at birth. My daughters were both born in Japan and were American citizens by birth. I have dealt extensively with US immigration processes for the last twenty years. Obama's mother was American so he was a citizen by birth. And beyond that, I have no interest in birth certificates.

Of course, it was an analogy, but I've been wanting to say that.

And I think it is a good idea to know whether one benefits by a thing to have proper perspective on what they say about it.

But I don't really care. I'm not trying to pin the accident on anyone, just saying that nuclear is never going to be safe for humans. Even if one plant in some unexpected place is operated badly or struck by natural disaster, it can spread poison around the globe--not that that would kill everyone on earth, but why have it at all?

There are definitely better ways and I'm going to talk about one in a separate thread.

Thanks.

David

Lao Tzu

"Eternity forever!"

www.esotericorange.com
Old 04-27-2011, 09:05 PM   #311
Keith Larman
United_States

Oh, geez, David... She's just expressing her views and she appears to have a strong background to back them up. That you don't like her views doesn't mean she's somehow a shill for the nuclear industry.

Are you paid by the solar industry to knock nuclear? Are you paid by the windpower companies to do the same? Are you in T. Boone Pickens' pocket?

Silly.

Or maybe consider me. I've invested in the past in various energy companies. One was the company that used to be called Thorium Power. Because I think it's good technology. I have also invested in a solar manufacturer. Hmmm, I was wondering where those envelopes of unmarked, non-sequentially numbered bills were coming from...

Seriously, this forum is totally insignificant in the larger picture of energy companies, policy, etc. Can't you accept that she in fact has the background she claims (which seems quite supported by random internet searches) and is sincere in what she is saying? You don't have to agree.

I just found the questioning totally inappropriate.

Old 05-03-2011, 09:20 PM   #312
David Orange
United_States

Quote:
Oh, geez, David... She's just expressing her views and she appears to have a strong background to back them up. That you don't like her views doesn't mean she's somehow a shill for the nuclear industry.
Well, the question is, where do those views come from: the technical background or investments in the technology?

If a doctor tells you to take a certain drug and then you find out he owns stock in the company...and then you find out that the drug causes heart attacks....would you think his motivations were purely scientific and medical, according to Hippocates?

Katherine has consistently poo-pooed the seriousness of the situation in Fukushima. Granted it hasn't really put us here in the US in dire danger, but 1) the plant did blow up; 2) it released a lot of radiation; and 3) it has driven many thousands of people from their homes (probably permanently). It has also seriously affected the Japanese economy.

So why would anyone minimize this event? No amount of technical knowledge of the subject would justify that.

And investments in the technology (that might suffer seriously if the public developed a bad image of the product) don't justify minimizing the problem and the dangers of it, but they would certainly explain it.

Quote:
Can't you accept that she in fact has the background she claims (which seems quite supported by random internet searches) and is sincere in what she is saying? You don't have to agree.
I can accept the fact that she has the background to understand a lot of the technicalities, but she's arguing points that that background does not support. She says the plants didn't "blow up" even though they clearly did. And she says that there is minimal danger from the radioactive elements released from the plants, which is certainly not true. Why present a backward version of the truth?

And I'm not accusing her of having a financial interest in denying the severity of the situation. But I did ask if she has such interest. Everyone receiving government funds for scientific research has to account for any conflicts in interest where I come from, and I think that when someone is trying to influence public opinion on a matter as serious as nuclear contamination, we should know if they have a conflict of interest.

Quote:
I just found the questioning totally inappropriate.
Can't you accept that I have a background that requires disclosure of conflicts of interest and that I'm sincere in what I say?

David

Lao Tzu

"Eternity forever!"

www.esotericorange.com
Old 05-04-2011, 09:35 AM   #313
David Orange
United_States
Benefits and Disadvantages of Nuclear Power

I was reading some comments on a blog post about nuclear power in cars and airplanes from the 1950s and noticed this comment:

"""We add nuclear to everything mainly because it is such a good energy source. it is very clean except from storaging the nuclear waste.

However, when An reactor explodes because of a tjunami and a earthquake, we say that nuclear power is unsafe. Well, any power plant wouldn't have survived those blows.""

Of course, not just any power plant would spew poison and shut down a whole region of the country if it were totally destroyed.

Still I clicked on his link to educate myself and found this gem:

http://www.home-improving.com/632/nu...disadvantages/

"Lets start with the risks asocciated with this type of energy. A lot of anti-nuclear energy protestors use this argument as their main point. However, power plants are much more safer than they were 50 years ago. This is because of very strong regulations aswell as due to technological advancement. The risk of a reactor which blows up is next to zero. I find it political oportinsme that the nuclear power plants in germany got closed after the disasster in Japan."

That was far enough for me.

It's really like Russian Roullette. The risk of your getting the loaded chamber are also "close to zero"...but the results of that almost impossible chance are ruinous.

Those who want to play Russian Roullette may do so with my blessing as long as they keep it to themselves.

Lao Tzu

"Eternity forever!"

www.esotericorange.com
Old 05-04-2011, 01:02 PM   #314
Keith Larman
United_States

Quote:
Can't you accept that I have a background that requires disclosure of conflicts of interest and that I'm sincere in what I say?
Well, I now have no doubt you are sincere in asking such a question. And that is quite unfortunate.

Old 05-04-2011, 07:26 PM   #315
David Orange
United_States

Quote:
Well, I now have no doubt you are sincere in asking such a question. And that is quite unfortunate.
If we were discussing flowers and house colors, where everything is really a matter of mere opinion, I wouldn't ask that.

But Katherine has been putting forth a "scientific" explanation of the situation, which flies in the face of the facts, the repercussions, the damage to people's lives and the very real danger to people around the world. You hear almost every day about scientists in their own area of expertise falsifying data or setting up their analyses to produce a desired result. The reasons are usually one of two: to promote themselves as experts or because they have a financial stake in the outcome. And the result of that is the CIRB--conflict-of-interest review board. Every major scientist I know has to complete a detailed report of their financial interests in any area they research. And while it can be a big hassle, I think it's a good idea in general, so since Katherine is making such authoritative statements, dismissing the vast body of facts....I think they should disclose any financial interests they have in the matter.

When someone completely dismisses a serious tragedy, I really have to wonder why.

David

Lao Tzu

"Eternity forever!"

www.esotericorange.com
Old 05-14-2011, 06:59 AM   #316
Tenyu
United_States

Full meltdowns now occurring.

Gundersen update
Old 05-30-2011, 08:06 PM   #317
David Orange
United_States

Interesting story:

http://www.myfoxal.com/story/1474860...-power-by-2022

Germany will drop all nuclear power by 2022, let by Angela Merkel, PhD in Physics.

""Merkel, who holds a Ph.D. in physics, said industrialized, technologically advanced Japan's "helplessness" in the face of the Fukushima disaster made her rethink the technology's risks.""

PhD in Physics and leader of the fourth largest economy in the world.

If they can do it, we can do it.

""While Germany already was set to abandon nuclear energy eventually, the decision - which still requires parliamentary approval - dramatically speeds up that process. Environment Minister Norbert Roettgen said there are no provisions that would allow a later policy reverse.

"We don't only want to renounce nuclear energy by 2022, we also want to reduce our CO2 emissions by 40 percent and double our share of renewable energies, from about 17 percent today to then 35 percent," the chancellor [Merkel] said.

Merkel said the cornerstones of Germany's energy policy will also include a safe and steady power supply that doesn't rely on imports, and affordable prices for industry and consumers. The plan calls for more investment in natural gas plants as a backup to prevent blackouts, the chancellor said.""

I think that only people with a vested interest in nuclear profits can continue to support nuclear power. Everyone else should have been woken up by now.

Best to all.

David

Lao Tzu

"Eternity forever!"

www.esotericorange.com
Old 06-28-2011, 10:37 AM   #318
David Orange
United_States
It can't happen here...

Hmm.

Now, see, in this case, I don't expect there will even be an explosion and I think we can see that there is considerable danger of pretty big release of plutonium without one.

http://news.yahoo.com/nm-blaze-threa...094526882.html

It's a 68 square mile fire, 3.5 miles from 30,000 barrels of plutonium waste: that's a hair's width.

Am I reading that right?

""It has quickly grown to 44,000 acres — or 68 square miles — and ignited a spot fire on lab property.
The anti-nuclear watchdog group Concerned Citizens for Nuclear Safety said the fire appeared to be about 3.5 miles from a dumpsite where as many as 30,000 55-gallon drums of plutonium-contaminated waste were stored in fabric tents above ground.
""
Since I don't know the significance of a mili-seivert, I probably overestimate the danger of 30,000 55-gallon drums of plutonium-contaminated waste being burned in a 68 sq/m fire with high winds.

I'm not saying it will explode. I'm saying this won't have to explode to release enough plutonium to make Fukushima and Chernobyl both look like Sunday morning tea parties.

I mean, Fukushima looked stupid for having spent fuel in open pools on the roofs of their reactor buildings. But 30,000 barrels of plutonium waste in fabric tents on the edge of a 68 square mile fire?

Ladies and gentlemen...whether it's this one or another one, we are bound to have a nuclear disaster in a US plant sooner or later if we don't stop building them and shut down and clean up the ones we already have. Nature will provide a perfect storm for one of them, whatever it takes. The designer of the Titanic said "Even God cannot sink this ship," just days before it sank.

There is no safe nuclear facility.

David

Lao Tzu

"Eternity forever!"

www.esotericorange.com
Old 07-16-2011, 02:46 AM   #319
oisin bourke

Dojo: Muden Juku, Ireland
Ireland

non contract labourers are being recruited to clean up radiocative waste in Fukushima for the grand wage of 10,000 yen an hour, three hours a day:

http://www.atimes.com/atimes/Japan/ME04Dh01.html

Meanwhile, the governor of Tokyo, Ishihara Shintaro, has announced Tokyo's Olympic bid for 2020! Basically, this will be a huge cash cow for Shintaro's buddies for a bid doomed to failure.

Well, at least the money will stay in Tokyo, rather than being wasted on paying clean up workers decent wages.
Old 08-02-2011, 12:39 PM   #320
David Orange
United_States
My bad....

Well, looks like the Fukushima incident (ongoing) is now rated EQUAL to Chernobyl on the scale of severity.

And it didn't just become equal: the new rating is based on new understanding of information from the time of the accident:

"The upgrade to Level 7 is reportedly not a response to any specific turn of events at the plant, but rather a decision that takes new data about rates of the initial radiation leaks into account. Radiation continues to leak into the environment from the damaged plant and the environmental effects may not be known for years, making it difficult to estimate the impact on humans and the environment near the plant. "

http://www.tecca.com/news/2011/04/12...shima-level-7/

So it was, as I and others said, as bad as Chernobyl when it first happened, though several more knowledgeable people sneered at our assertions that it was far worse than was being reported.

So you can bet that the environmental damage in Japan continues to be far worse than TEPCO and the Japanese government claim and that the damage has probably spread far more than they or the US government will reveal.

It's a good thing the plant didn't actually "blow up," isn't it?

David

Last edited by David Orange : 08-02-2011 at 12:41 PM.

Lao Tzu

"Eternity forever!"

www.esotericorange.com
Old 08-02-2011, 03:46 PM   #321
oisin bourke

Dojo: Muden Juku, Ireland
Ireland

What's really depressing is how the plant has fallen off the radar in the media over here. Some English language outlets such as the Japan Times carry daily radiation levels across Honshu, but in the Japanese media, the whole effort seems to be in downplaying the effects in order to entice tourists back into the country. I was a child when chernobyl happened, and I remember the mass slaughter of animals across Europe etc. I also remember spikes in radiation all along the east coast of Ireland and the Irish sea due to regular leaks from the Sellafield plant in Northern England.

One thing I carried from these experiences is that radiation melt downs are pernicious due to their long term, cumulative effects. People don't spout two heads overnight, but what are the effects of eating beef with high doses of caseium for twenty years? or tainted spinach? Or milk? Or fish? Or breathing the air around Fukushima? Or drinking the tap water? All have shown high levels of radiation, and some food is being wrongly labelled to hide the fact that it's tainted. This is a huge long term challenge for the country and it's being swept under the carpet: back to business as usual. I'm seriously considering leaving this country in part because of how this thing was/is being handled.
Old 08-02-2011, 05:29 PM   #322
thisisnotreal

Oisin, you'd have to pretty much unplug from humanity to really get away from it.
Old 08-03-2011, 02:20 AM   #323
Robert Cowham
Dojo: East Sheen Aikido and Kashima No Tachi

Things are not looking good:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-0...ima-plant.html

A slightly older but disturbing article:

http://english.aljazeera.net/indepth...828302638.html
Old 08-03-2011, 08:14 AM   #324
genin
United_States

They had a sign from like 500 years ago that said "Don't build your town below this point." And then they build a Nuclear Powerplant there. I'm pretty sure if peasants from the 1500s knew tsunami's were coming, then modern day people should've known too.
Old 08-15-2011, 09:08 PM   #325
Tenyu
United_States

Three month old NHK documentary with less than 10,000 views.

Part 1 of Professor Tatsuhiko Kodama outraged. Fukushima 30 times more harmful than bomb on Hiroshima. Part 2 linked after.

Radioactive fallout to continue for at least another year. Arnie Gundersen says Tokyo residents average inhaling 3,650 radioactive hot particles within a year, Seattle residents estimated at 1,825 hot particles. Fukushima Prefecture residents left abandoned to develop cancer. Geiger counter off the scale at elementary school.

Anyone interested in becoming or staying informed on Fukushima's radioactive spew and effects can visit enenews.com for daily updates.