Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Humor

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 10-12-2012, 01:37 PM   #1
lars beyer
Dojo: Copenhagen Aikishuren Dojo
Denmark
Münchausen Budo !

I once broke the sound barrier during koshinage and I couldn´t stop laughing afterwards because my
hakama was on fire.

When was the last time you laughed the most during Aikido Waza, before, during and after ?

Lars
Old 10-12-2012, 03:32 PM   #2
Janet Rosen

Re: Münchausen Budo !

I was thrown so hard I rolled out the dojo window and into the path of an elderly nun pushing a baby carriage with twins in it, pushing them all out of the path of a runaway truck.

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield
Old 10-12-2012, 03:39 PM   #3
lars beyer
Denmark

Quote:
Janet Rosen wrote: View Post
I was thrown so hard I rolled out the dojo window and into the path of an elderly nun pushing a baby carriage with twins in it, pushing them all out of the path of a runaway truck.
I hope you all survived !?
Old 10-12-2012, 04:28 PM   #4
hughrbeyer
Dojo: Shobu Aikido of Boston
United_States

At a seminar at another dojo, we were doing throws in a line--nage had a jo--and as nage applies the technique I realize the wall is right in front of my face and I have about 30" to take my roll in. I decide I can do it, keep the roll as tight as I can, land my foot exactly where the wall meets the floor and stand up measuring my length against the wall without ever quite touching it. As I turn away, I see the dojo-cho looking at me. Across her face is written "OMG! LAWSUIT IN PROGRESS!"

Evolution doesn't prove God doesn't exist, any more than hammers prove carpenters don't exist.
Old 10-12-2012, 05:21 PM   #5
lars beyer
Denmark

Quote:
Hugh Beyer wrote: View Post
At a seminar at another dojo, we were doing throws in a line--nage had a jo--and as nage applies the technique I realize the wall is right in front of my face and I have about 30" to take my roll in. I decide I can do it, keep the roll as tight as I can, land my foot exactly where the wall meets the floor and stand up measuring my length against the wall without ever quite touching it. As I turn away, I see the dojo-cho looking at me. Across her face is written "OMG! LAWSUIT IN PROGRESS!"
This is fun !
Old 10-12-2012, 09:36 PM   #6
Janet Rosen

Quote:
Lars Beyer wrote: View Post
I hope you all survived !?
I died but rolled so fast and far I rolled straight through hell and back

Janet Rosen
Old 10-13-2012, 02:33 AM   #7
lars beyer
Denmark

Quote:
Janet Rosen wrote: View Post
I died but rolled so fast and far I rolled straight through hell and back
Thats a good one ! :P
Old 10-13-2012, 11:57 AM   #8
Michael Hackett
Dojo: Kenshinkan Dojo (Aikido of North County) Vista, CA

My training partner threw me last night with a ushiro tekubidori kokyunage and I got a speeding ticket going through Escondido!

Michael
"Leave the gun. Bring the cannoli."
Old 10-13-2012, 06:28 PM   #9
David Orange
Dojo: Aozora Dojo
United_States

Quote:
I once broke the sound barrier during koshinage and I couldn´t stop laughing afterwards because my
hakama was on fire.
I once saw my own kiai.

Sounds like a joke, but I was standing next to a karate class and they were all doing a kata in unison in four lines across the room. I was doing something in aikido class and the occasion came that I should kiai. Well, I learned kiai from Paul Couch, who taught Kyokushin karate and had a kiai like a barking Great Dane. So as the karate class went methodically through the kata, I reached the point where I was supposed to kiai and I issued the best I knew how.

The entire karate class flinched. But not all at once.

Each line flinched in turn as the sound wave passed it, and I saw about thirty people flinch in a spreading semi-circle that graphed the movement of the kiai.

True story, dude.

David

"That which has no substance can enter where there is no room."
Lao Tzu

"Eternity forever!"

www.esotericorange.com
Old 10-13-2012, 06:49 PM   #10
David Orange
United_States

Quote:
When was the last time you laughed the most during Aikido Waza, before, during and after ?
Truthfully, two of the best teachers I ever met both kept me laughing the whole time they ware tearing me apart. Alex Marshall, a police instructor in Birmingham, Alabama was a master of judo and general jujutsu, but he was a phenomenon with his finger-locks. He could grab you before you could blink and he'd send electricity throughout your whole body. And yet, you'd be laughing and he would be laughing and you'd be begging him to let you go but as soon as he did, you'd ask him to show you another one. That remains some of the best laughs I ever had under any circumstances.

The other guy who kept me laughing was Kyoichi Murai, the top teacher at the yoseikan hombu, under Mochizuki Sensei. Murai was 71 (as was Alex Marshall) when I met him, under five feet tall and a master of sword and aikido. In his ability to throw anyone effortlessly at will, he was really just like Mifune, who was Mochizuki's teacher. Murai's eyes were like a hawk's and he was just as fast in movement, yet light and soft. He felt like a feather, but I couldn't move him in any way and I would just fall right into some technique of his. And he would laugh. He was very modest and self-effacing and he could make you feel that he could absolutely eliminate almost anyone at any moment, but you just felt a kindness and joy in living that radiated from him, and you just knew he didn't have any interest in hurting anyone. But boy, could he if he should need to.

He sort of resembled Stan Laurel, of the old Laurel and Hardy comedy team and he had some of Laurel's mannerisms, sort of bashful. And like Alex Marshall, he was always laughing and he made his partners laugh, too. It was just such a joyous feeling to be thrown by him. He had also trained directly with Ueshiba, who used to come to visit Mochizuki in Murai's early years.

But that's for the real laughs in aikido. If it's tall tales you're interested in, you might like to know that I am actually related to a Baron by name of Muchausen and I will be back.

Cheers.

David

Lao Tzu

"Eternity forever!"

www.esotericorange.com
Old 10-14-2012, 03:08 PM   #11
lars beyer
Denmark

Quote:
David Orange wrote: View Post
I once saw my own kiai.

Sounds like a joke, but I was standing next to a karate class and they were all doing a kata in unison in four lines across the room. I was doing something in aikido class and the occasion came that I should kiai. Well, I learned kiai from Paul Couch, who taught Kyokushin karate and had a kiai like a barking Great Dane. So as the karate class went methodically through the kata, I reached the point where I was supposed to kiai and I issued the best I knew how.

The entire karate class flinched. But not all at once.

Each line flinched in turn as the sound wave passed it, and I saw about thirty people flinch in a spreading semi-circle that graphed the movement of the kiai.

True story, dude.

David
I love true stories :-O
I once kiaid, and two grashoppers living next to my apartment decided to sue me because allegedly the kiai made their grandma have a heartattack !
The bad thing is they won their case, and I had to leave town for 6 years.. after I paid them free meals and a trip to Egypt.
I hate grashoppers and lawyers !
Old 10-14-2012, 07:06 PM   #12
David Orange
United_States

Quote:
I love true stories :-O
I once kiaid, and two grashoppers living next to my apartment decided to sue me because allegedly the kiai made their grandma have a heartattack !
The bad thing is they won their case, and I had to leave town for 6 years.. after I paid them free meals and a trip to Egypt.
I hate grashoppers and lawyers !
I'm sorry to hear that.

I thought everyone in Europe had heard of the grasshopper/granny/lawyer scam by now.

They're based in Nigeria, by the way.

David

Lao Tzu

"Eternity forever!"

www.esotericorange.com
Old 10-14-2012, 08:38 PM   #13
Janet Rosen

Quote:
David Orange wrote: View Post
I once saw my own kiai.
David
That is a great IRL story!
My IRL kiai story that made everybody laugh was the first time I was ever called upon to kiai.

It was while I was back east on a trip and visiting the late George Simcox Sensei at his dojo with some friends. He wanted us to do the ki test thing where you have people trying to hold you back and you walk forward...but he invited us to kiai as part of it...and invited us to just relax and vocalize/verbalise anything that came naturally.

Only one thing for a Brooklyn budobabe to holler as she walks forward, extending ki (and unbendable arm):

TAAXIIIIII !!!!

Janet Rosen
Old 10-15-2012, 03:39 PM   #14
Diana Frese
Dojo: Aikikai of S.W. Conn. (formerly)
United_States

For those who have not read my Siamese cat story, which is true, I had recently come back from Japan and my cat, who used to hunt in our field and sometimes go to other places in the neighborhood, worrying us when she didn't come back promptly (she sometimes got scared when my brother visited with his Scottie)

Suddenly, on a beautiful sunny day I saw her with a baby mouse so I let out a spontaneous kiai and she and the mouse disappeared. She had been there with my mom and dad the whole time I was in Japan, about eighteen months and she was just her usual self.

Thinking back, O Sensei would probably have scolded me, saying "Why don't you let your cat BE a cat?"

I was so upset, wondering if she would ever speak to me again (those who know Siamese cats know that they DO talk. A lot) or whether I would ever see her again. Full of remorse I turned less than forty five degrees and there she was just sitting there next to and slightly behind me.

I loved that cat! But sometimes it's instant pity for the poor baby mouse.

So that's my kiai story.
Old 10-15-2012, 03:49 PM   #15
lars beyer
Denmark

Quote:
Diana Frese wrote: View Post
For those who have not read my Siamese cat story, which is true, I had recently come back from Japan and my cat, who used to hunt in our field and sometimes go to other places in the neighborhood, worrying us when she didn't come back promptly (she sometimes got scared when my brother visited with his Scottie)

Suddenly, on a beautiful sunny day I saw her with a baby mouse so I let out a spontaneous kiai and she and the mouse disappeared. She had been there with my mom and dad the whole time I was in Japan, about eighteen months and she was just her usual self.

Thinking back, O Sensei would probably have scolded me, saying "Why don't you let your cat BE a cat?"

I was so upset, wondering if she would ever speak to me again (those who know Siamese cats know that they DO talk. A lot) or whether I would ever see her again. Full of remorse I turned less than forty five degrees and there she was just sitting there next to and slightly behind me.

I loved that cat! But sometimes it's instant pity for the poor baby mouse.

So that's my kiai story.
Nice story, thanks
Old 10-15-2012, 07:01 PM   #16
Shadowfax

Dojo: Allegheny Aikido, Pitsburgh PA
United_States

Well the last time was Sunday night in class when Garth sensei kept making the floor disappear from under my feet. Laughter in class is pretty typical in our dojo. And the harder sensei throws me the more I giggle. Can't help it.

But one of the more funny times was wen I was working out with one of our many Daves. He happens to be Jewish. So at some point in training I forget what we were doing, I was uke and he threw an atemi that somehow ended up with his fist in my mouth.( didn't have much of a flinch response back then) No harm done and I smiled and looked at him and said....mmmm kosher nage.

It took both of us several minutes to stop laughing enough so we could continue.