Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 03-24-2003, 11:15 AM   #1
Dan Gudmundson
Thinking of starting Aikido....

Hi Folks,

I am seriously thinking of starting Aikido. I have always been facinated with the Martial Arts, and have recently began researching different arts. I am restricted though as where I live, we dont have that many to choose from. I am not a violent person and am not looking for an art where I can show off high kicks, and break boards with my head.

My real reason for thinking of joining an art is for the self defence aspect, as well as the over all mental aspect of it. I"m a 26 year old male, used to be an athlete (was untill I got stuck on an online video game and just quit)

We have 1 Dojo in my area (Regina, Saskatchewan Canada) Called Classical Japanese Martial Arts. THey teach Aikido and Kendo.

I geuss what i'm looking for, is any advice for getting started. I think i'll call the school and see if I can sit in and watch an evening and maybe talk to some students. This web site has been a great fountain of information for me and I applaud you for the great site!

Well, i'm totally rambling now. Thank you for any adivce you may have.

Dan Gudmundson
Old 03-24-2003, 12:03 PM   #2
Christian Merrill
Since this sounds so much like my recent situation I gotta respond. A few weeks ago I was in pretty much the same boat as you -- always been interested in taking a martial art, never quite got around to doing it. I'm 27, and once upon a time I used to be quite active though lately the only workout I get is banging on a keyboard everyday.

I didn't really care about the self defense aspect, there's hardly anything I would ever fight about, and I do a pretty good job of never getting into a situation where I am forced to (I think the last fight I was in was over 13 years ago). Honestly I'm still trying to figure out exactly why I chose to take Aikido, at this point I guess it would be because what I have seen of it (technique wise) fascinates me, and as far as I can tell the philosophy behind it coincides with how I already view life and conflict.

I observed one class before joining and saw all good signs:

1. Everything was formal, but very relaxed at the same time.

2. Everyone got along and helped each other.

3. There was nothing wishy-washy about it (I find it pretty amusing the rep that aikido seems to get at various places on the web). Too many people out there who didn't get into enough fights as kids maybe .

On a side note, I mentioned that I don't really give a hoot about the self-defense aspect (as in I feel no need to increase my ability to defend myself), but even after one class I have trouble comprehending how anyone could argue against Aikido being effective in "real life" situations.

Anyway, I've been going for a few weeks now and have absolutely no regrets. From everything I read prior to starting I figured progress would be slow, and it is (and I can see how it can be seen as much slower in Aikido than some other MA's). But every time I go I learn something new, and that's good enough for me.

Assuming that I will eventually figure out how to not roll on my head, and can quit smoking (lack of stamina is my biggest deterrent right now), I cannot imagine quitting.

Anyway, there's an opinion from a newbie for what it's worth.

Christian
Old 03-24-2003, 12:06 PM   #3
bob_stra
Australia
Re: Thinking of starting Aikido....

Heya Dan.

Too lazy to type much, so here are a few links ;-)

Self Defence...

http://www.nononsenseselfdefense.com/

Aikido Recommendations...

http://isc.faqs.org/faqs/martial-art.../preamble.html

http://www.aikidofaq.com/

(lots of good stuff, just incase you missed it)

http://www.butokukai.org/faq/index.htm

Philosophy...

http://www2.vuw.ac.nz/staff/ralph_pettman/contents.html

(free ebook on aikido philosophy. Damn good stuff!!)

Oh, and some cool recent mpgs that I found.

http://www.suginoharyu.com/html/vide...e%20gaeshi.mpg

http://www.suginoharyu.com/html/vide...e%20hineri.mpg

http://www.suginoharyu.com/html/vide...%20mawashi.mpg

Personal tips:

Make sure they teach you your breakfalls ASAP. Don't be afraid to ask the guys to go easy on you. Buy a cheap gi for now. Yes, everyone looks like a smhuck at first.
Old 03-24-2003, 12:42 PM   #4
jxa127
I started studying aikido in Sep. 1999 and, next to getting married last year, beginning to train was one of the smartest things I ever did.

My only advice is (1) don't just watch a class, try it, and (2) be patient with yourself and with the art.

Regards,

-Drew

----
-Drew Ames
Old 03-24-2003, 12:43 PM   #5
Larry Feldman
Dojo: Atlanta School of Aikido
United_States
Dan - Use the Dojo Search engine on this site, jsut to double check that there is only 1 school near you.
Old 03-25-2003, 08:08 AM   #6
Joseph Huebner

Dojo: Seiwa Dojo / Battle Creek, MI
Dan:

Greetings from Michigan!

I'm not a voice of great experience, having only been studying for two months but perhaps a newbie's voice with this matter is justifiable. I would recommend observing a class, and participating in a class as well.

In this time I had some preconceptions about aikido I learned were false; even after doing alot of reading about aikido. It's pretty much the difference in reading about it, and actually doing it. My recommendation is to visit the dojo, and observe a class. See how the class goes, and ask yourself if this is for you. Better yet, ask to participate in an initial class. I would look for positives such as a cooperative learning experience, especially with newer students. Write down any questions you have and talk with students as well as your sensei.

Perhaps this sounds nutty, but I feel that I did not choose aikido as much as aikido called me.

I hope this helps you on your way.

Joseph Huebner
Old 03-26-2003, 03:58 AM   #7
WilliamWessel

Quote:
Dan Gudmundson wrote:
I"m a 26 year old male, used to be an athlete (was untill I got stuck on an online video game and just quit)
Little off topic, but I'm curious as to which online game it was, as I'm a serious gamer geek myself =P
Old 03-26-2003, 05:52 AM   #8
Kelly Allen
Dojo: Friends Dojo
There is supposed to be a fairly high ranking Ki Society Akidoka in Regina. I wonder if that's the dojo he's in?

Try a class or two. Nothing like jumping in with both feet. BTW from what you describe of your personality, Aikido sounds right up your alley.
Old 03-26-2003, 06:39 AM   #9
MikeE

Dojo: Midwest Center For Movement & Aikido Bukou Dojos
Dan--

The group in Regina were (and maybe are again) under Rocky Izumi Sensei who is very good. He has great energy and is an excellent swordsman.

You could do a lot worse.

Mike Ellefson
Midwest Center
For Movement &
Aikido Bukou
Dojos
Old 03-26-2003, 08:44 AM   #10
akiy

Last I heard late last year, Rocky is now in Barbados...

I think the best thing you can do is visit all of the aikido dojo within a reasonable transit distance and do what you were planning on doing -- sitting in on classes, asking questions, observing the folks there.

Otherwise, keep us informed on your search for a dojo!

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!
Old 03-26-2003, 10:16 AM   #11
TheU2Fly

Dojo: Aikido Institute of Miami
I agree with Kelly, the manner in which you describe yourself leads me to believe that you would greatly enjoy Aikido....I began a almost two months ago and i can tell you i'm loving every minute of it..

hope this helps

Jorge
Old 03-26-2003, 10:18 AM   #12
TheU2Fly

Dojo: Aikido Institute of Miami
Oh and if you do end up taking Aikido just becareful with those forward rolls...

my $0.02

My thread

Last edited by TheU2Fly : 03-26-2003 at 10:23 AM.
Old 03-26-2003, 12:51 PM   #13
MikeE

Dojo: Midwest Center For Movement & Aikido Bukou Dojos
Jun,

I didn't know he was still there. The last time I talked to him he thought his tenure there wasn't going to be permanent.

But, as with everything else, things change.

Mike Ellefson
Midwest Center
For Movement &
Aikido Bukou
Dojos
Old 03-26-2003, 06:01 PM   #14
ikkainogakusei

Hi Dan

I haven't heard about aikido in your area, and of course I would want to tell you that aikido is perfect for you and you can find no better martial art, but maybe you might want to make sure that it -=really=- is what you want.

I'd recommend checking out Living the Martial Way by Forrest E Morgan. He talks about shopping for an art, and a school. It's a generic book, not meant to tout one art over another.

Good Luck

"To educate a man in mind, and not in morals, is to educate a menace to society." ~Theodore Roosevelt