Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 06-25-2003, 04:35 PM   #1
Paula Lydon
Dojo: Aikido Shugenkai
medical alerts

~~Looking for ideas. I'm on the 1st Aid team for camp and got to thinking about folks with medical alerts. They should wear their braceletts at all times, but most don't on the mat. At the dojo, camp, visiting other dojos. If this person is unconscious and goes to the ER how is that information quickly referenced? Will someone just happen to notice an alert item in their clothes in the locker room? I'd like us to feel more confident passing along this info. to hospital personel. Thoughts? Thanks!

~~Paula~~
Old 06-25-2003, 05:37 PM   #2
ikkainogakusei
Re: medical alerts

Quote:
Paula Lydon wrote:
~~Looking for ideas. I'm on the 1st Aid team for camp and got to thinking about folks with medical alerts. They should wear their braceletts at all times, but most don't on the mat. I'd like us to feel more confident passing along this info. to hospital personel. Thoughts? Thanks!
Hi Paula

I've done emergency first aid for big events before, and yeah not having the information has made things more challenging, especially with kids. As a 'camp nurse' I had all the pertinent medical information on all the kids who attended and it was my job to inform the counselors of the kids who might need attention.

The aiki-stuff might make it hard to use medic-alert tags, but maybe they could put their bracelets on their belts, or possibly use the buddy system. They could let their buddy know of conditions just in case. I don't know that either of these suggestions are really going to help, just a thought (or two) though.

"To educate a man in mind, and not in morals, is to educate a menace to society." ~Theodore Roosevelt
Old 06-25-2003, 08:18 PM   #3
Charles Hill
Dojo: Numazu Aikikai/Aikikai Honbu Dojo
Paula,

In the movie, "Black Hawk Down," members of Delta Force were shown writing their blood type on duct tape and then sticking it on their boots. How about something like that? It sounds easy and effective.

Charles
Old 06-25-2003, 08:58 PM   #4
Joseph Huebner

Dojo: Seiwa Dojo / Battle Creek, MI
Have campers fill out a 3x5 index card with the following:

Name

Address

Emergency Contact

Medical History (i.e. Diabetes, Cardiac)

Allergies (To meds, BEESTINGS, ect)

Dr's name and phone number

Blood type

You cannot plan for every contingency. Have such items as oral glucose (for diabetics) on hand. Also, if someone is allergic to beestings, please be sure they have a beesting kit, and/or "Epi-Pen" that is not past it's expiration date. Be sure you have rapid access to a phone (Be sure your cellular or nextels have a signal) to call 911, and always have a secondary number for the nearest emergency medical unit.

Just some suggestions from medic Joe...

Happy Camping!

If you think you can, you will. If you think you won't, you're right.
Old 06-25-2003, 10:27 PM   #5
Janet Rosen

It has always struck me as weird that dojo reg forms and seminar reg forms DON'T include medical and emergency contact info. Come to think of it, the one seminar *I* was in charge of first aid, I neglected to put that on the reg forms too--it really would be the best place, assuming the forms are onsite and available to folks in charge.

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield
Old 06-25-2003, 10:33 PM   #6
akiy

The registration forms for our Summer Camp does, indeed, have a section included for medical needs and emergency contact information. All of this is available in an online database so it would be pretty trivial to retrieve, print out, and have ready by/at the first aid stations during the Camp.

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!
Old 06-25-2003, 11:06 PM   #7
ikkainogakusei
medical alerts/ blood type

Um, with regard to blood type. Well I don't know if it is different there, but many of the hospitals I have worked with will completely disregard any information on blood type and cross and type the blood themselves before giving any kind of transfusion. FWIW

"To educate a man in mind, and not in morals, is to educate a menace to society." ~Theodore Roosevelt
Old 06-26-2003, 02:19 AM   #8
DaveO
Dojo: Great Wave Aikido
Canada
The problem with Medic-Alert bracelets/necklaces is of course that being solid; they can cause injury. Perhaps (related to what Charles said) one could employ a soft indicator; perhaps a red cloth wrapped around the wrist or looped into the belt; with the pertinent info jotted down onto it? Red would make it visible and obvious; along with file cards it might be a help.

Dave

Answers are only easy when they're incomplete.
Old 06-26-2003, 02:37 AM   #9
erikmenzel
  AikiWeb Forums Contributing Member

Dojo: Koshinkai Leeuwarden
Netherlands
IIRC here in the Netherlands bloodtype information is ignored (by law) and hospitals are required to test themselves.

Erik Jurrien Menzel
kokoro o makuru taisanmen ni hirake
Personal:www.kuipers-menzel.com
Old 06-26-2003, 07:27 AM   #10
Paula Lydon
Dojo: Aikido Shugenkai
~~Great ideas everyone, thanks!

~~Jun, in regards the database: I know that we have a slot for medical needs, where I listed my asthma, (and I'm probably a ditz) but it never occured by the way it was worded to include my severe allergy to any form of codeine. I need to update myself. If at camp we asked folks to sign a list with medication alerts can that easily be added to the database? Bloodtype I'm not worried (most people don't know theirs anyway) as the ER folks will test for it.

~~Dave, I like the 'soft' alert idea!

~~Paula~~
Old 06-26-2003, 08:57 AM   #11
eva
Quote:
Janet Rosen wrote:
It has always struck me as weird that dojo reg forms and seminar reg forms DON'T include medical and emergency contact info. Come to think of it, the one seminar *I* was in charge of first aid, I neglected to put that on the reg forms too--it really would be the best place, assuming the forms are onsite and available to folks in charge.
Our registration forms have a section for medical/emergency information....

This information is also to be included in the membership books so for courses or summer school this information should be available.

Having a passport size photo in the membership book helps to identify who the book belongs to.

I think it also makes sense to make sure if people have a medical condition that might need special treatment, that they tell at least two people at the dojo/seminar about it (in case one of the guys is not arround at the time).

We also encourage people to bring astma inhalers or med info bracelets with their shoes to the edge of the mat and tell other people that this belongs to them.

Eva
Old 06-26-2003, 08:57 AM   #12
Carl Simard
Well, in a small dojo like ours (around 10-15 peoples), it's just that everybody know each other well enough to know if one need special care. Nothing to say, it also means that you have to tell the others (or at least the sensei) about this...

We have also have the card system but it's rather useless since they are keeped under lock and key in a desk...

For a camp, it's different. But I know of at least one camp that require that you present a medical certificate from a physician certifying that you can train and specify medical problems.

Last edited by Carl Simard : 06-26-2003 at 09:01 AM.
Old 06-29-2003, 10:47 PM   #13
Joseph Huebner

Dojo: Seiwa Dojo / Battle Creek, MI
I'm in agreement that hospitals will do their own cross-match for blood type to be absolutely sure, and reduce liability. It's still a dandy idea to have that info on hand.

Joseph

If you think you can, you will. If you think you won't, you're right.