Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 02-04-2006, 04:23 AM   #1
Kris Garland
Dojo: Commerce
United_States
Question two schools?

I currently only take Aikido once a week because the 2nd class is on Saturday from 9am-11am well I work third shift and get off at 7am Saturday morning. Well there is another Aikido dojo in the next town that has them on Monday and more friendly to my schedule. Is going to two different dojos a bad thing? can you even do it? What if they are apart of the same organization? I really want to take 2 classes a week. I suppose if going to the other dojo along with the current one is not a wise thing to do I could try to go to the Saturday morning classes. If all else fails I could pray that when the new schedule change comes next week I don't work to 7am on Saturday. I welcome all and any comments

~Kris
Old 02-04-2006, 04:46 AM   #2
justin
United Kingdom
Re: two schools?

wouldnt be my ideal situation but there again training once a week wouldnt be either, give it a go all you can mate to be honest.
Old 02-04-2006, 04:51 AM   #3
Kris Garland
United_States

Quote:
Justin Thomas wrote:
wouldn't be my ideal situation but there again training once a week wouldn't be either, give it a go all you can mate to be honest.
I think I'm gonna wait and see how the schedule change works out for me before I do anything. Hopefully they have it up soon.
Old 02-04-2006, 06:09 AM   #4
Mato-san
Iceland

I came on this issue recently, I shopped around for advise (In only the right places), best bet, talk to sensei open up your situation and feelings, tell him your thoughts and ask him his!
I was lucky in my situation that sensei had regular classes elsewhere (bout 1 hr drive) I will sure get to his dojo as much as I can rather than join a second. But just talk to sensei, even if you want to join a second dojo, he should respect your hunger and feed it best he can or offer good advise. IMO

Before you drive or steer your vehicle, you must first start the engine, release the brake and find gear!
Old 02-04-2006, 06:11 AM   #5
Mato-san
Iceland

My situation is not so recent and kind of different to yours but we are on the same wave. Thought I should be clear. But (Talk to sensei)

Before you drive or steer your vehicle, you must first start the engine, release the brake and find gear!
Old 02-04-2006, 06:22 AM   #6
Kris Garland
United_States

Yeah, however the more I read everyone's comments on their sensei the more I think mine is...less sensei ish? Iunno he is an ex marine/ ex cop....So you can imagine...lol...I really wanna try the other dojo this monday to see how their's is....I'm starting to worry that where I'm at dosen't hold any of the Aikido princeples...just the moves if that makes sense. And the princeples are what appealed ot me.
Old 02-04-2006, 06:32 AM   #7
Mark Uttech
Dojo: Yoshin-ji Aikido of Marshall

Be careful Kris. #1, the grass always looks greener on the other side of the fence, and #2, you can't go home again. That said, I also have to say that you have to ride the waves of your own karma. In gassho, may all go well with you.
Old 02-04-2006, 07:38 AM   #8
Pauliina Lievonen

Dojo: Jiki Shin Kan Utrecht
Netherlands

Quote:
Kris Garland wrote:
Yeah, however the more I read everyone's comments on their sensei the more I think mine is...less sensei ish? Iunno he is an ex marine/ ex cop....So you can imagine...lol...I really wanna try the other dojo this monday to see how their's is....I'm starting to worry that where I'm at dosen't hold any of the Aikido princeples...just the moves if that makes sense. And the princeples are what appealed ot me.
Visiting the other dojo once to see what they are like is one thing. But if you decide you want to start training there regularly, telling your sensei about it would be just plain courteous, nevermind anything else.

kvaak
Pauliina
Old 02-04-2006, 12:10 PM   #9
BenjaminH
United_States

Just be careful also in that many people read these forums. You have identified who you are and where you are.

People are funny... and can be greatly insulted by the slightest thing you say. m(_)m
Old 02-04-2006, 12:14 PM   #10
Edwin Neal
Dojo: Ronin
United_States

why should any true teacher be insulted about schedule conflicts and a desire to practice more???

Edwin Neal

Old 02-04-2006, 12:28 PM   #11
Kris Garland
United_States

Quote:
Edwin Neal wrote:
why should any true teacher be insulted about schedule conflicts and a desire to practice more???

I don't think he'd be insulted or anything. I really like my teacher, however I'd like to find a dojo that still keeps the philosphies of Aikido as well as the movements.
Old 02-04-2006, 08:19 PM   #12
DCP

Dojo: Inaka Dojo

I train at two dojo. Both sensei are cool about it. Both sensei know I do it. They happen to be in the same organization.

I happen to have two teachers that are very open-minded and want the students to train with various instructors. I agree with their feelings that tunnel vision can occur while training with the same people all the time.

There are many other factors you haven't mentioned. Being a school teacher, I find I answer questions with questions, so bear with me and maybe think about the following:

What do you REALLY want out of your aikido training?
How badly do you want to train more than once a week?
Does the other dojo have many more classes that fit your schedule better?
Do you have a long history with your current sensei?
Do you feel there is a lot more you can learn from him?
Do you feel you have an obligation to him, his dojo, and the organization?
Do you enjoy his teaching style?
Do you enjoy the curriculum (both stated and subtle things taught)?
Do you think training, or even visiting, other dojo will hurt relations or even burn a bridge?
Do you think your sensei thinks of your best interests?
Have you experienced other styles/flavors/organizations/etc. and, if so, do you feel you found the one that fits you the best?
Old 02-04-2006, 08:24 PM   #13
Kris Garland
United_States

Quote:
Daniel Pierson wrote:
I train at two dojo. Both sensei are cool about it. Both sensei know I do it. They happen to be in the same organization.

I happen to have two teachers that are very open-minded and want the students to train with various instructors. I agree with their feelings that tunnel vision can occur while training with the same people all the time.

There are many other factors you haven't mentioned. Being a school teacher, I find I answer questions with questions, so bear with me and maybe think about the following:

What do you REALLY want out of your aikido training?
How badly do you want to train more than once a week?
Does the other dojo have many more classes that fit your schedule better?
Do you have a long history with your current sensei?
Do you feel there is a lot more you can learn from him?
Do you feel you have an obligation to him, his dojo, and the organization?
Do you enjoy his teaching style?
Do you enjoy the curriculum (both stated and subtle things taught)?
Do you think training, or even visiting, other dojo will hurt relations or even burn a bridge?
Do you think your sensei thinks of your best interests?
Have you experienced other styles/flavors/organizations/etc. and, if so, do you feel you found the one that fits you the best?
All those questions really made me think Its always good to think
Old 02-04-2006, 09:13 PM   #14
Mark Uttech
Dojo: Yoshin-ji Aikido of Marshall

Kris, I read over your posts. You have been to two aikido classes, and already you are freaking out.
Old 02-04-2006, 09:26 PM   #15
Kris Garland
United_States

Quote:
Mark Uttech wrote:
Kris, I read over your posts. You have been to two aikido classes, and already you are freaking out.
Not really freaking out mostly just general comments.