Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Humor

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 07-15-2005, 04:52 AM   #1
Dazzler
Dojo: Bristol North Aikido Dojo
England
Ian Beale doing aikido

Last night I came in late from training...a bit of a celebration because its the last class before a lot of students grade this weekend.

Was it the lager making me dream...or was my girlfriend really watching a tape of 'Eastenders' with Ian Beale reading an Aikido book?

Anyone know the story line?

what book was he reading?

Are we going to get a surge of newbies with personalities to match young Beale?

Cheers

D
Old 07-15-2005, 05:06 AM   #2
Alex Megann
Dojo: Southampton Aikikai
United Kingdom
Re: Ian Beale doing aikido

I missed this on Tuesday (I was at an Aikido class, funnily enough), and then completely failed in my attempts to record it from BBC3 at ten o'clock. I'm planning to record (rather than watch, since I've lost track recently of what's going on in Eastenders) the Omnibus edition on Sunday.

I gather the producer was quite keen on getting at least some of the details right. The BAF Office got a phone call a few weeks ago asking where one could get hold of a picture of someone called something like "Yoosheeba", as an Aikido class was apparently supposed to have one. Not having seen the episode yet, I don't know what the class Ian attended was like.

Alex
Old 07-15-2005, 05:36 AM   #3
ruthmc
Dojo: Wokingham Aikido
United Kingdom

http://www.bbc.co.uk/eastenders/east...20050712.shtml

Tells you all about it on pages 1 and 3. It may be worth watching for the throwing bit

And no, I don't watch any soaps, I got the link from an Aikido pal

Ruth
Old 07-15-2005, 08:18 AM   #4
dan guthrie
Dojo: Aikido of SLO
United_States

For us ignorant non-Brits, what's the equivalent soap to "Eastenders?"
Old 07-15-2005, 11:08 AM   #5
spinecracker

United_States

There are no American soaps like 'Eastenders' - we Brits have cornered the World market in severely depressing, in-your-face soaps. Think of it as ' General Hospital' with half the cast trying to throw themselves down the elevator shafts.......oh, and we don't have aliens (except illegal aliens) in our soaps (unless coronation Street has really gone down hill!)
Old 07-15-2005, 11:15 AM   #6
spinecracker

United_States

and I just remembered - the BBC used to have a drama called, I think, 'King and Castle" with Nigel Planer (the hippy on the 'Young Ones') who did Aikido - the BBC has, or had, a dojo at, or near, their main studio where he practiced.
Old 07-27-2005, 05:45 PM   #7
Richard Cardwell
Dojo: Belfast Aikido Circle

I read somewhere recently that the scriptwriter who shoehorned aikido in is a yudansha somewhere in London.

I believe Beale was reading the hardback of Best Aikido, the Basics.
Old 07-27-2005, 09:02 PM   #8
ajbarron
Dojo: Calgary Aikikai

Just a note for those whose wives and children go nuts when we get all excited when watching a film were the hero does a nice sankyo (The Bourne Identity) or whatever............... In the Inspector Linney or Lindley series from BBC which is on PBS,Mystery Theater, in a new an episode that a friend sent from England, Lindley's/Linney's Sargent, recovering from being shot is at a resort/hospital, as he visits to pick her up he sees her doing aikido ( in grey sweats) with a female aikidoka in full hakama etc. She's a little stiff ( the Sargent) but the Aikido person looked good . (I couldn't see her name in the credits)
Old 07-27-2005, 10:10 PM   #9
Aristeia
New Zealand

Quote:
Robert Fox wrote:
and I just remembered - the BBC used to have a drama called, I think, 'King and Castle" with Nigel Planer (the hippy on the 'Young Ones') who did Aikido - the BBC has, or had, a dojo at, or near, their main studio where he practiced.
Finally!!. This was one of the things that got me interested in taking up Aikido but I've never been able to find anyone else who even vaguely remembers it. Thanks Robert, you've made my day.

"When your only tool is a hammer every problem starts to look like a nail"
Old 07-28-2005, 03:16 AM   #10
Alex Megann
United Kingdom

Getting back to the subject of the thread, this story seems to be ongoing. I watched the episode on Monday, and Ian and family are still going to the class.

In the first episode involving Aikido a couple of weeks ago, Ian was getting very stressed and snapping at all the other characters, including his partner and kids. He noticed an advert for Aikido someone had put up on the wall of the cafe that he runs, and decided to take his family along to a class. Once there, in his usual way he tries to show how knowledgeable he is, but gets shown up.

I can't say I really understood what was going on in the class in the very short sequences included, and there isn't much Aikido per se (although Ian was toppled by a nice shihonage in the first class). I couldn't find the teacher in the cast list, so he may not be an actor, but he looks believable.

I think the series does give Aikido a positive spin overall - Ian is uncharacteristically mellow after the class! In the two episodes I've seen of the programme recently there hasn't been much stress on the self-defence implications, but I can see people who haven't heard of Aikido before feeling inclined to try it.

Alex
Old 07-28-2005, 03:32 AM   #11
Patrick O'Regan
Australia

Speaking of top notch soaps, Aikido has recently featured on "Neighbours" over here.....or so I've been told.

You might see it in the UK in a few months.

It is extremely cool that Nigel Planer's character did Aikido. I vaguely remember the show, but not that episode.

Cheers

Paddy

Paddy
Old 07-28-2005, 09:31 AM   #12
Alex Megann
United Kingdom

Here are some photos of the class (plus some inane comments at the end!):

http://www.fmforums.co.uk/forums/lof...hp?t33179.html

Anyone recognise the instructor?

Alex
Old 07-28-2005, 04:46 PM   #13
spinecracker

United_States

Why Ian Beale? Of all the mixed up people on that show! Then again, I haven't watched Eastenders in a long, long time. Is he still a total idiot in the show?
Old 07-29-2005, 09:50 AM   #14
markwalsh
Dojo: Airenjuku Brighton
United Nations

I've just heard about this being stateside from a non aikido friend!

The odd thing is that its portrayal of aikido will become the majority view in the UK- the power of television! Glad ITV seem to have done some research.

I don't recognize the instructor either - they seem to have picked him on his looks (sorry Alex, don't wait by the phone!), what's the technique like?

The interesting thing to me is that the whole basis of the show is conflict - people are always arguing and fighting, it's exhausting - and aikido is an entirely new set of conflict options from the shove back mentality normally shown.

On a broader note, it seems to me like a lot of popular entertainment feeds off the energy of conflict. Historically, plays and novels have often been about setting up a fight and then resolving it - but today it seems more like an ongoing "conflict as a way of life". I've seen it a lot with kids I work with -it's like they're on Jerry Springer in their heads and they can't see life any other way...ok, old man lament over

Background for the non Brits/people with taste:

Eastenders is the most popular show on UK television with an audience of about 13 million.
It's set in a grimey area of East London, and the story lines are generally "gritty".
There is a huge amount of conflict in the show.
The show is followed fairly obsessively by many people (not me guv), especially children in my experience.
The phrases, "What's going on?" and "put the kettle on luv" are used every episode without fail.

Mark
Old 07-29-2005, 02:59 PM   #15
markwalsh
Dojo: Airenjuku Brighton
United Nations

Come on England, get your ass out of bed, it's time to start drinking here!
Old 07-29-2005, 05:41 PM   #16
wxyzabc
England

Ha ha...quite simply just about the most depressing soap you can imagine...I have no idea why people watch it. Maybe to feel better about their own lives?

Lee
Old 08-31-2005, 08:23 AM   #17
Steve Mullen
Dojo: White Rose (Sunderland)
England

Ah yes, ian beale obviously goes to a class with the most talented sensei in the world of aikido, a few weeks after joining they are doing demos with ushiro-ryoto-tori attacks and jodan ski. hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

"No matter your pretence, you are what you are and nothing more." - Kenshiro Abbe Shihan
Old 09-06-2005, 03:04 AM   #18
Bridge
Dojo: Slough Aikikai
United Kingdom

Quote:
Patrick O'Regan wrote:
Speaking of top notch soaps, Aikido has recently featured on "Neighbours" over here.....or so I've been told.

You might see it in the UK in a few months.

It is extremely cool that Nigel Planer's character did Aikido. I vaguely remember the show, but not that episode.

Cheers

Paddy
Did anyone see neighbours last night?

Looks like 's Boyd Hoyland looking to do aikido. Well he was asking Susan about it.
Old 09-06-2005, 05:50 AM   #19
taras
United Kingdom

Quote:
Mark Walsh wrote:
Come on England, get your ass out of bed, it's time to start drinking here!
There is a valley somewhere in Wales where I went camping once. They have a power station and I was told that there is a spare unit that only kicks in at the time when advert break comes on in Eastenders as everyone in the valley puts their kettles on at the same time.