Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Training

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 10-02-2010, 07:13 AM   #1
Bill Angus
Dojo: Taidokan Watford
United Kingdom
Interfacing Between Aikido Styles

I did seven years aikido in what I think was an Aikikai style (long time ago), took twenty years off and am now two years into my practice as a Yoshinkan aikidoka. Love it.
I'm interested in the interface between aikido styles; anyone have perspectives on having tried two?

Bill
Old 10-02-2010, 07:39 AM   #2
WilliB
Dojo: Minato Aikikai
Japan
Re: Hello Aikido world

Quote:
Bill Angus wrote: View Post
I did seven years aikido in what I think was an Aikikai style (long time ago), took twenty years off and am now two years into my practice as a Yoshinkan aikidoka. Love it.
I'm interested in the interface between aikido styles; anyone have perspectives on having tried two?

Bill
I have tried way more than two... it easy here. Not sure what you mean about interfaces... the organizations pretty stay separate, unless called together for e.g. the yearly seminars at the budo university in Tsukuba.
Old 10-02-2010, 08:10 AM   #3
Bill Angus
Dojo: Taidokan Watford
United Kingdom

By 'interface' I mean particular instances in techniques where differing styles take alternative paths - let's say for instance in shihonage, from shomen uchi...
Old 10-02-2010, 09:10 AM   #4
WilliB
Japan

Quote:
By 'interface' I mean particular instances in techniques where differing styles take alternative paths - let's say for instance in shihonage, from shomen uchi...
Oh. There are plenty of those. If you cross-train, you of course accept what they are doing in the place you are at. If you want to fuse different styles, you need to start your own ryu.
Old 10-02-2010, 10:29 AM   #5
Gorgeous George
United Kingdom

Quote:
There's a shiho-nage in Yoshinkan left over from Daito-ryu:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LW9-...ext=1&index=16

And a form of ikkyo is initiated by tori with a strike:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UM7XJ98gV74

That's all I know off the top of my head.
Old 10-02-2010, 11:11 AM   #6
WilliB
Japan

Quote:
Graham Jenkins wrote: View Post
There's a shiho-nage in Yoshinkan left over from Daito-ryu:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LW9-...ext=1&index=16

And a form of ikkyo is initiated by tori with a strike:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UM7XJ98gV74

That's all I know off the top of my head.
There are so many variations, this will be a monster thread if you want to list them all.
Old 10-02-2010, 01:22 PM   #7
Gorgeous George
United Kingdom

Quote:
Willi Brix wrote: View Post
There are so many variations, this will be a monster thread if you want to list them all.
Perhaps - but I don't want anything of the sort: I didn't start the thread, hence what I want to do does not dictate what will or will not be listed here.

@ Bill: the two examples I cited are things which are absent from aikikai aikido - in the case of the latter example, I don't think there are any instances in that style where tori initiates...
Old 10-02-2010, 01:42 PM   #8
grondahl
Dojo: Stockholms Aikidoklubb
Sweden

There´s a lot of Iwama aikido within Aikikai, having tori initiate shomenuchi is the basic form within that line.

Quote:
@ Bill: the two examples I cited are things which are absent from aikikai aikido - in the case of the latter example, I don't think there are any instances in that style where tori initiates...
Old 10-02-2010, 03:28 PM   #9
Gorgeous George
United Kingdom

Quote:
Peter Gröndahl wrote: View Post
There´s a lot of Iwama aikido within Aikikai, having tori initiate shomenuchi is the basic form within that line.
Yeah, I was conscious of the various styles under the Aikikai umbrella when I said it. A few weeks ago, when I was talking with my teacher, I mentioned all these different styles - Nishio and Iwama in particular - that are nevertheless Aikikai: he responded that he regarded Aikikai, in the sense of a style, rather than organisation, as what the Doshu teaches, and what is taught at Hombu.
I liked that, agreed with it, and it was in this sense I used the term - although as I said it, you're quite right: it was an equivocation.
Old 10-04-2010, 01:35 AM   #10
Adam Huss

United_States
Re: Interfacing Between Aikido Styles

Yes,
I did almost exactly what you did; started in the AAA and am now in an organization that has both AAA influenced aikido and Yoshinkan influenced aikido (was uchideshi at a Yoshinkan school). My particular dojo has been focusing on combining the two influences into our technique. In fact, there was a recent yudansha test with myself and a senior to me where our goal was to display to our international director how our dojo has been combining the two stylistic influences. We pretty much tried to do 50/50 aikikai/Yoshinkan techniques, including things like displaying both the aikikai'ish (I know aikikai is a huge generalization) ushirotekubi tori and the Yoshinkan hojo dosa for ushiro waza ryotemochi....Yoshinkan leads for strikes, slide attacks/grabs as well as cross-stepping, etc. Its been a slow process but, gradual and consistent.

Ichi Go, Ichi Ei!
Old 10-04-2010, 07:03 PM   #11
Chris Farnham
Dojo: Aikido of Champlain Valley/Hamamatsu Aikidokai/Aikido Shidokai
United_States

Quote:
Yeah, I was conscious of the various styles under the Aikikai umbrella when I said it. A few weeks ago, when I was talking with my teacher, I mentioned all these different styles - Nishio and Iwama in particular - that are nevertheless Aikikai: he responded that he regarded Aikikai, in the sense of a style, rather than organisation, as what the Doshu teaches, and what is taught at Hombu.
I liked that, agreed with it, and it was in this sense I used the term - although as I said it, you're quite right: it was an equivocation.
This is a common notion,and I agree that there is a Hombu-ness about people who have come from the Hombu, but I think if you were to go there on any given day and attend the classes of all Shihan teaching that day you would see that it begins to fall apart somewhat. If you go on a Saturday and practice with Doshu, Watanabe Shihan and Sugawara Shihan, you will see that they differ as much from each other as they do from Nishio Shihan and Saito Shihan in a lot of ways. I have only ever practiced at the Hombu as a visitor, but every Hombu student I have spoken with agrees that there really is no "Hombu Style".