Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Training

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 08-06-2014, 02:51 PM   #1
Mary Eastland

Dojo: Berkshire Hills Aikido
inner spirals

I pushed on Ron's shoulder softly trying to feel which way he was inwardly moving. He subtly corrected each time I found the tiny internal movement. The cool thing is that I could feel the internal spirals.
Then he did the same with me. Have you ever tried this?

Mary Eastland

Dare to Tenkan
Old 08-07-2014, 11:15 AM   #2
Janet Rosen

Re: inner spirals

This sounds similar to some things but I am not sure from the words you have used what the larger purpose of your exercise is, so wonder if you can possibly articulate more fully to say:
Was the purpose of his movement to connect with you, to find you, to evade you or to unbalance you?
When you say you "found" his movement was it that you felt it or that it actually affected you - and if it affected you by unbalancing you (as opposed to making you tense up or resist), why would he want to "correct" it?

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield
Old 08-07-2014, 03:57 PM   #3
Mary Eastland

I felt the movement. I gently pushed to unbalance him a little and he would correct being a little tiny bit unbalanced with re-centering. I could feel the inner spirals. There was no outward motion.

Mary Eastland

Dare to Tenkan
Old 08-07-2014, 04:06 PM   #4
sakumeikan
Dojo: Sakumeikan N.E. Aikkai .Newcastle upon Tyne.
United Kingdom

Quote:
Mary Eastland wrote: View Post
I felt the movement. I gently pushed to unbalance him a little and he would correct being a little tiny bit unbalanced with re-centering. I could feel the inner spirals. There was no outward motion.
Dear Mary,
??????????????Hope you do not mind me saying this I find the last couple of your blogs as clear as mud.I hope I have not offended you by this statement.Certainly that is the last thing I would want to do. Cheers, Joe
Old 08-07-2014, 04:19 PM   #5
Mary Eastland

No offence taken, Joe...

Mary Eastland

Dare to Tenkan
Old 08-07-2014, 05:04 PM   #6
SeiserL

United_States

Spirals ... yes!

Lynn Seiser PhD
Yondan Aikido & FMA/JKD
We do not rise to the level of our expectations, but fall to the level of our training. Train well. KWATZ!
Old 08-07-2014, 11:06 PM   #7
Janet Rosen

Quote:
OK, thank you, that is more clear.
Yes, with an honest partner willing to take time and give good feedback, much can be felt and much can be learned.

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield
Old 08-07-2014, 11:45 PM   #8
dps

Quote:
I pushed on Ron's shoulder softly trying to feel which way he was inwardly moving. He subtly corrected each time I found the tiny internal movement. The cool thing is that I could feel the internal spirals.
Then he did the same with me. Have you ever tried this?
Growing up on a farm raising, training and showing horses, one of the things I learned from being around them was to keep a hand touching them when close to feel the inner movements of their bodies. If I was to push them I could feel the subtle corrections they would make and I could predict when and what direction they were going to move in.

dps
Old 08-08-2014, 08:05 AM   #9
lbb
United_States

Quote:
David Skaggs wrote: View Post
Growing up on a farm raising, training and showing horses, one of the things I learned from being around them was to keep a hand touching them when close to feel the inner movements of their bodies. If I was to push them I could feel the subtle corrections they would make and I could predict when and what direction they were going to move in.
That sounds the skill of riding with your legs (to both sense and communicate) -- a skill that I certainly have never had enough time in the saddle to develop, but that I very much admire.
Old 08-08-2014, 10:34 AM   #10
dps

Quote:
Mary Malmros wrote: View Post
That sounds the skill of riding with your legs (to both sense and communicate) -- a skill that I certainly have never had enough time in the saddle to develop, but that I very much admire.
No I meant while standing on the ground near the horses. It is best to keep a hand on them as you are moving around them to know when they are going to move so you don't get stepped on or kicked.

dps
Old 08-08-2014, 11:45 AM   #11
lbb
United_States

Quote:
David Skaggs wrote: View Post
No I meant while standing on the ground near the horses. It is best to keep a hand on them as you are moving around them to know when they are going to move so you don't get stepped on or kicked.
Yes, I understand. It still sounds like it's related to the skill of riding.