Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Techniques

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 06-18-2000, 09:59 PM   #1
akiy

As an adjunct to this week's poll (accessible on the home page)...

I remember hearing someone say that everything in aikido must start with an irimi -- even tenkan.

Thoughts?

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!
Old 06-19-2000, 07:42 AM   #2
evelyncarino
"evelyncarino"
IP Hash: d435b0af
Dojo: M.H.S. Judo Club
Anonymous User
irimi tenkan

dear jun,

based on our limited practice, tenkan movement seems cool.
very graceful.

can we infer meanings in the different movements?

thanks

evelyn

Old 06-19-2000, 08:17 AM   #3
Chuck Clark

Dojo: Jiyushinkan
United_States
Jun,

It may have been me you heard say that, but here goes...

I think all initial connection in aikido is an irimi (entering), even when you're going backwards. When you feel uke's response to the connection to their center, then you know what needs to happen next to maintain connection and make the next move...

Of course there's lots more to this than those few words can convey. People have to "feel" it often to really get the idea.

Chuck Clark
Jiyushinkai Aikibudo
www.jiyushinkai.org
Old 06-21-2000, 09:35 AM   #4
akiy

It might have been you, Chuck, but I remember hearing it quite a many years ago. It still could have been you, I guess.

So, would people consider all instances of establishing connection to be a form of irimi?

Do any of you think irimi could occur during a motion that's taking you further away from uke?

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!
Old 06-21-2000, 10:02 AM   #5
Chuck Clark

United_States
Yes, I think you can "enter" while going away from uke. The timing is nifty and the window of opportunity is small, but it can happen. With slow, repetitive drills done properly, you can get the sensitivity and "feel" of the timing. Gradually speed up and it becomes an intuitive tool like any we practice.

If you enter and occupy a portion of the space uke needs to have good balance just before their posture is "firm", the uke must change their position and irimi has happened. While the uke is starting their recovery, tori uses the energy uke is creating to continue the kuzushi and fit to make a technique. So, yeah, I think ALL connections should be irimi.

The only other way you can connect (as I picture it...) is to take uke from a firm, balanced position and overwhelm their ability to stand up. This works at a certain level, but with well-trained budoka you will have the energy you just created used against you.

As usual, this is easier to feel than articulate.

Chuck Clark
Jiyushinkai Aikibudo
www.jiyushinkai.org
Old 06-22-2000, 07:14 AM   #6
George S. Ledyard

Dojo: Aikido Eastside
Irimi and Tenkan

Quote:
Originally posted by akiy
As an adjunct to this week's poll (accessible on the home page)...

I remember hearing someone say that everything in aikido must start with an irimi -- even tenkan.

Thoughts?
This is enough of a truism that you have probably heard many teachers say it over the years. Certainly it is something that Saotome Sensei taught us. In one of the books by the former Aikidoshu, Kishomaru Ueshiba, he state that the tenkan movement embodies the spiritual essence of Aikido and the irimi movement its martial essence. That's a good one to reflect on.

George S. Ledyard
Aikido Eastside
Bellevue, WA
Aikido Eastside
AikidoDvds.Com
Old 06-26-2000, 11:15 AM   #7
jwalker
"jwalker"
IP Hash: 268ec3cb
Dojo: Michiana Aikido Center, Edwardsburg, MI.
Anonymous User
Quote:
Originally posted by Chuck Clark

If you enter and occupy a portion of the space uke needs to have good balance just before their posture is "firm", the uke must change their position and irimi has happened. While the uke is starting their recovery, tori uses the energy uke is creating to continue the kuzushi and fit to make a technique. So, yeah, I think ALL connections should be irimi.

[/b]
Would this be also explained in terms of "taking up the slack" in
a technique at the time right before uke/tori has good balance
and thus having their posture "firm". "Extension" throughout the
technique would continue the kuzushi. This could be done the
same in tenkan movements as well. So by your definition both
irimi and tenkan have the elements of the "irimi" you described.
Does this sound accurate?
Josh Walker
South Bend, IN
"
Old 06-26-2000, 03:53 PM   #8
Chuck Clark

United_States
Yes, Josh

You must take uke's center by being just inside their space as they finish the step they were taking. By connecting and taking the slack out and then keeping the connection (keep the slack out) so uke is always responding to the common center that you (both of you) now have since you're "connected", you'll always have the initiative.

Sheesh...that's a mouthful, eh?

Chuck Clark
Jiyushinkai Aikibudo
www.jiyushinkai.org
Old 07-04-2000, 12:26 AM   #9
AikiTom
Dojo: Aikido Martial Arts Center
I appreciate what's being said, but here's my take on it:
I believe the idea of irimi in every move is correct in a mental or energy sense, however, not in a physical sense.
Physically, if you enter then tenkan, it's actually a "kaiten ashi" which begins as irimi, but not as tenkan.
Also, I think there's a critical problem with tenkan-ing with a physical irimi in mind: you lose a "beat," by doing so, and in a fast attack, that beat can mean missing the connection. (although one can argue if the energy flows past you that fast, no harm, no foul. Problem occurs though when you're directly in the way of that energy, when you could have pivoted out of the way by simply turning on your foot.
I've noticed that when moving, many aikidoists/kas will move their foot slightly back before stepping forward, kind of like cocking a gun, or winding up for a pitch. I try really hard to move from where I am, as the "cocking" motion can reveal intent and intended direction, plus there's that lost part of a second as well.
Ideally, there shouldn't be "slack" with proper ma-ai observed, and perhaps this slack can be stretched out while in motion, and through a turning/rolling of uke's wrist, elbow, arm, etc., which in a small circle will take slack out of the shoulder/body and help produce/maintain the kuzushi as well.
So, I'm with you 100% on the mental irimi and ki-joining with center (as Nadeau sensei says, "Centers hang out together."), but I think a physical try at true entering could lead someone astray if they generalize it into their practice, and perhaps lead to injury.
Old 07-04-2000, 10:26 AM   #10
Chuck Clark

United_States
Think small irimi which enters into the uke's space just enough that they cannot complete their movement without changing something.

Any time you "blend centers" with someone you have to displace their actual center of gravity. It doesn't take much ... and this causes an oscillation (or recovery cycle) which uke must do in order to try and get their posture and energy under their control again.

If you blend centers with someone without diplacing their center, it's called dancing for example.

The whole idea of aikido is to blend with and take the uke's energy and intent into your "keeping" and then make the decisions for the newly combined structure.

I think there must be "entering" to do this.

Chuck Clark
Jiyushinkai Aikibudo
www.jiyushinkai.org
Old 07-04-2000, 02:49 PM   #11
AikiTom
Dojo: Aikido Martial Arts Center
Chuck,
I posted the above reply this morning, and after a couple of hours on the road driving and reflecting, I have to agree with you! (With the exception of an extremely-fast, hard punch about to hit my stomach! Then, I'm turnin' on a dime!) Happy 4th.

May the force be with you!
AikiTom
"Be the change you want to see."
Old 07-05-2000, 12:19 AM   #12
Chuck Clark

United_States
If you ever get a chance to visit in Tempe, give us a visit at the Jiyushinkan. Your fast punch to the mid-section is a "peice of cake" using the stuff I spoke of above. The harder and faster the attack ... the stronger the effect of your entry. However, you MUST have strong posture and be very centered for the whole aiki-structure (both of you!).

Chuck Clark
Jiyushinkai Aikibudo
www.jiyushinkai.org
Old 07-07-2000, 06:10 AM   #13
andrew
Dojo: NUI, Galway Aikido Club.
Chuck Clark wrote: "Yes, I think you can "enter" while going away from uke"

I wouldn't call it going away from uke, but I certainly regularly enter by a backward step, and have done ever since I saw it done that way in the Seven Samurai (duel scene). When you're as sh*t as me, it really catches people by surprise too.
But maybe you're not talking about that.
andrew
Old 07-20-2000, 07:49 PM   #14
W^2
United_States
Irimi and the relativity of simultaneity

This is a really good forum!! From a physics point of view, all [physical]motion is relative [to the observers frame of reference].Therefore Nage and Uke are both in motion relative to each other and both frames of reference are valid. Irimi is thus defined as the motion of Nage and Uke toward each other, regardless of their movement relative to some other frame of reference. Patrick Cassidy Sensei - Kashi No Ki Dojo/Aikido Of Fresno, has said-and I paraphrase greatly: '...for Awase to occur...first Nage must have Kokyu...then Ki No Musubi (with Uke/everything else)...', without both of these Awase cannot happen. O'Sensei called Kokyu the 'Circle of Steel'and one definition of Kokyu is: an unimpeded flow of power(Physically composed of Tai Sabaki with coordinated breathing). Broadly speaking, I think of Kokyu as an unimpeded flow or extension of mental and spiritual awareness/Ki, as well. In this sense one is always 'entering'. In miyamoto musashi's 'A Book Of Five Rings', he admonishes us that 'waiting is bad'; a master of [Martial]strategy must control the rhythym of a every encounter. So, in this context an Aikidoka never waits, and Irimi embodies the Martial essence of AIKIDO. -W^2