Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 07-19-2004, 03:34 PM   #1
Alai
Ireland
Aiki No Michi, any information?

I'm curious if anyone can give me any information on Aiki No Michi.
Several Irish dojo seem to give this as their affiliation, but I'm in
the dark as to what it actually indicates. Is it a group of dojo, some
sort of federation, or a style? And in each case, how does it relate to
other such?

Cheers,
Alex.
Old 07-19-2004, 05:24 PM   #2
mj
Re: Aiki No Michi, any information?

It is a Saito-san offshoot.

http://www.pureaikido.com/ .

Old 07-19-2004, 08:05 PM   #3
Alai
Ireland

Thanks for the information: as it happens I'd come across that site, but it was far from clear it was the "same" Aiki No Michi. And to be honest I'm still not: it describes itself as a single dojo, based in Melbourne. The Aiki No Michi 'round here, though, is described thus:

"Today Ruddock Sensei heads up his own organisation - the Aiki No Michi"

I believe Ruddock-Sensei is based in the Isle of Man, and the Melbourne dojo makes no reference to him.

Are there two separate organisations bearing the same name? Or is the above incorrect in some respect?

Cheers,
Alex.
Old 07-19-2004, 10:01 PM   #4
Edward
Thailand

I don't know of the organizations you are mentioning, but I believe the original one is that of Noro Sensei, one of the oldest and most respected still in this world students of Osensei. He's based in Paris, France and has adopted the new name after he separated from Hombu and agreed with the Ueshiba family not to use their "trademark" name aikido for his art. His aikido is very soft and non-aggressive, and is the closest thing I have ever seen to dancing.
Old 07-19-2004, 10:14 PM   #5
Alai
Ireland

Thanks Edward; the organisation you refer to is more usually (more correctly?) referred to as "Ki no Michi", I thought?

I'm curious as to whether Ruddock-Sensei's Aiki No Michi is related to this, or as per the Australian outfit, is a flavour of Iwama. Or, of course, none of the above! ;-)

Cheers,
Alex.
Old 07-19-2004, 11:58 PM   #6
tiyler_durden
Netherlands

Hi Alex,

A big blast from the past with that, thanks
Well I lived in Belfast for a while and trained in their Belfast dojo you can find it on this website:
http://www.aikidoinireland.org/

The Sensei there is Aureli and he is very good indeed. I trained there for about four years and had the best time ever and reached a very good standard.
I unfortunately never met Alan Ruddock, yet seeing his students and the other black belts I can only say he must be very good.

I have nothing but fond memories of good time.
They have a very good set up in Belfast with a card system that you can pay by and it is very cheap. Also the grading system is very good and set up well as you are taught the system most lessons so when a grading sums up you know what to do, not like some dojos where you have to cram in as much mat time as you can before an unexpected test pops up out of no where.

Yes I had a very positive feedback for you about Ai Ki no michi Aikido, yet I say just go look and check it out for yourself!!

Hope this helps

Tiyler_Durden

"Deal with the faults as gently a your own"
Old 07-20-2004, 12:46 AM   #7
xuzen

Dojo: None at the moment - on hiatus
Malaysia

Dear all,

In 1994 - 1997 I was in Queen's University of Belfast doing my undergraduate. I too, was trained under Sen. Alan Rudduck. Fond memories I got there. I too know Aurelie or also known with a more local sounding name O'Reilly / O'Raleigh (he he he). Aurelie's grab are very strong and very challenging to break. I always get bruised after training with him. But what is a little pain...

I know sensei Alan as a very soft spoken person, his techniques exude finesse. It has been so long since I did his style of aikido. Yes, Tiyler, it sure bring back fond memories.

Sincerely,
Boon

SHOMEN-ATE (TM), the solution to 90% of aikido and life's problems.
Old 07-20-2004, 01:32 AM   #8
Edward
Thailand

Hi Alex,

Yes, you're right, I got mixed up a little with the names. Perhaps I should have waited for my morning coffee before posting

Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Cheers,
Edward

Quote:
Alex Ferguson wrote:
Thanks Edward; the organisation you refer to is more usually (more correctly?) referred to as "Ki no Michi", I thought?

I'm curious as to whether Ruddock-Sensei's Aiki No Michi is related to this, or as per the Australian outfit, is a flavour of Iwama. Or, of course, none of the above! ;-)

Cheers,
Alex.
Old 07-20-2004, 06:34 AM   #9
philipsmith
Dojo: Ren Shin Kan
United Kingdom

Mr Ruddock was a student at Hombu dojo in the 60's; along with messrs Cottier, Wainwright et al.A thoroughly nice man and extremely effective Aikidoka.

He returned to live in the Isle of Man in the 70's (I believe) and I would doubt there is a connection between his dojo and the Austrailian "Aikido no Michi".

If you get chance train with him; his experience is invaluable.
Old 07-20-2004, 07:47 AM   #10
markwalsh
Dojo: Airenjuku Brighton
United Nations

http://www.shizenryu.nl/Alan_Ruddock_uk.htm

Last sentence: Replace "Irish Aikido Federation" with "Aiki No Michi".

Pics:

http://home01.wxs.nl/~knoops/alan_ru...maart_2002.htm

I trained with a student of this organisation in Cambridge and found him to be softly effective and very adaptable in his technique.

Mark
Old 07-21-2004, 10:25 AM   #11
Alai
Ireland

Thanks for the links, Mark. Really though, I'm as wise as before. ;-)

Would it be correct to say that Aiki no Michi is essentially simply an organisational name, and the tradition is Aikikai?

Cheers,
Alex.
Old 08-31-2006, 02:35 AM   #12
Guillaume Erard
Dojo: Aikikai Hombu Dojo
France

Quote:
Mark Walsh wrote:
[url]

I trained with a student of this organisation in Cambridge and found him to be softly effective and very adaptable in his technique.

Mark
Wow, my first time on this forum and I find somebody saying nice things about me! Thanks for the compliment Mark ;-)
Old 09-03-2006, 09:55 PM   #13
oisin bourke

Dojo: Muden Juku, Ireland
Ireland

I trained under Alan Ruddock good few times in Ireland from 2000 to
2003. I'm not member of the group, but organisationally, I believe tht Aiki no michi is an independent group.

Alan and Henry Kono do a lot of seminars together. My memory was of Alan teaching more technically, though his emphasis was on very natural movement and stepping as opposed to the large steps associated with (some?) Aikikai.

I remember his low shoulders and hands held close to his body as being very interesting. Ken Cottier Sensei did something similar at seminar I attended.

Henry goes straight for the "aiki" and has fascinating take on aiki training. The two approaches go well together, and you would be doing yourself a favour to check out the two teachers.

Hope this helps

Oisin Bourke
Old 06-10-2008, 05:16 AM   #14
brian donohoe

Dojo: Nenagh and sadly no longer police college Templemore
Ireland

As far as I can rember Alan Ruddock set up Aiki no michi some timr in the late '90s in order to give the large number of non Aikikai affiliated Aikidoka here in Ireland a structure under which they could train. At the moment to my knowledge there are dojos affiliated to Alan's Aiki no michi in Cork, Galway, Donegal and Belfast

Last edited by brian donohoe : 06-10-2008 at 05:21 AM.