Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Spiritual

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 10-20-2010, 12:57 AM   #176
guest1234567
Spain
Re: To bow or not to bow

Quote:
Alejandro Villanueva wrote: View Post
Carina, what about other lineages that do not follow Hombu and don't pay homage to Doshu (so to speak)?

BTW, be sure to say hello to César.
Hi Alejandro, of course if you don't follow the doshu it is different, I respect all traditions and if I train in another dojo I would follow the ones they use there, I were in a few ninjutsu classes and clapped and bowed as everybody else...
I will give yuour regards to Cesar, thanks I'll see him in November in the Seminar with Frank Noel.
Old 10-20-2010, 06:52 PM   #177
Carl Thompson

Japan

Going back to comments about "when in Rome, do as the Roman's do," you have to bear in mind that the Romans kept slaves, nailed Christians to crosses and so on.

It is a good general rule to learn and fit in with any new culture. I think this falls under peace with your environment. It is a good general rule to accommodate anyone you meet. That is peace between yourself and others. It is also a good general rule to be true to your own little segment of the universe. That is peace with oneself. An aikido-related concept for this balance is called Sanwa 三和 (threefold peace).

If a one-handed man comes into the dojo, do you deny him the right to practice because he cannot do techniques on one side? If your dojo has claps before a kamidana, he will not be able to do that either. Someone with a spinal injury and knee problems may simply be incapable of bowing. I would imagine most would accommodate this kind of obvious physical limitation with little argument. How about a mental limitation? The potential for an autistic student to improve themselves through aikido is enormous. What if such a student cannot perform some of the etiquette due to their condition? The sliding scale here is from physical to mental limitations. On either side, you have situations where the physical or mental impediment is not so serious as to stop them at least partially doing something.

I don't think there is a one-size-fits-all rule. There are basic principles of respect that must be brought into balance.
Old 10-20-2010, 07:00 PM   #178
makuchg

Dojo: FL Aikido Center
United_States

Quote:
Carl Thompson wrote: View Post
Going back to comments about "when in Rome, do as the Roman's do," you have to bear in mind that the Romans kept slaves, nailed Christians to crosses and so on.

It is a good general rule to learn and fit in with any new culture. I think this falls under peace with your environment. It is a good general rule to accommodate anyone you meet. That is peace between yourself and others. It is also a good general rule to be true to your own little segment of the universe. That is peace with oneself. An aikido-related concept for this balance is called Sanwa 三和 (threefold peace).

If a one-handed man comes into the dojo, do you deny him the right to practice because he cannot do techniques on one side? If your dojo has claps before a kamidana, he will not be able to do that either. Someone with a spinal injury and knee problems may simply be incapable of bowing. I would imagine most would accommodate this kind of obvious physical limitation with little argument. How about a mental limitation? The potential for an autistic student to improve themselves through aikido is enormous. What if such a student cannot perform some of the etiquette due to their condition? The sliding scale here is from physical to mental limitations. On either side, you have situations where the physical or mental impediment is not so serious as to stop them at least partially doing something.

I don't think there is a one-size-fits-all rule. There are basic principles of respect that must be brought into balance.
Carl, well said!

Gregory Makuch
Wandering Ronin
Spring Hill, FL
Old 10-25-2010, 07:35 AM   #179
Tim Ruijs

Dojo: Makato/Netherlands
Netherlands

Quote:
Bjorn Saw wrote: View Post
I had a Jewish student that could not bow to O Sensei's picture but had no problems to bow to my little Kamidana (the small wooden shrine on the wall), so I just moved O Sensei's picture a little to the side.
However insignificant this might seem, I think it is wrong, very wrong.
In your dojo, you make the rules. Running a dojo is a big part of your Aikido development (for both you and your students). A dojo has one master (you). Yours seems to have many: any student that does not like a rule can potentially change it. Wrong. Either they adapt or leave.
Off course it is good to think about it, talk about it, put it on a forum . But stay centered, know your Path.

Should in the course of your understanding of Aikido your lessons change accordingly, so be it. That would only reflect your growing as Aikidoka (teacher). Perhaps even the way you teach changes over time; probably has.

FYI In my dojo we bow to O Sensei to show our respect and gratitude for his his effort to develop Aikido.

Quote:
In Iwama O Sensei did not bow to his own picture or of that of another but he bowed to the Kamidana (Spirit altar). So I often say we bow in respect to the Spirit (or God if you prefer).
I would say the image in his dojo was there not for him, but for his students when in absence.
Old 10-25-2010, 07:50 AM   #180
Tim Ruijs

Dojo: Makato/Netherlands
Netherlands

Quote:

The OP mentions that a student morally/religiously objects bow. This is not about a physical limitation.

In the situations you describe the student themselves probably already try to do the best they can. I think the intent in the scenarios is quite different. Somebody with bad knees may nod, someone with one arm may clap to his chest or slap his upperleg.
This would be very good Aikido...I think...
Old 10-25-2010, 08:03 AM   #181
lbb
United_States

Quote:
Tim Ruijs wrote: View Post
Lather, rinse, repeat.
Old 10-25-2010, 08:30 AM   #182
Flintstone
Dojo: Wherever I happen to be
Spain

So you keep insisting in that no bowing equals no Aikido. Good to know then that O Sensei was also doing Flintstone Ryu and not Aikido.

The example that Tim Rujis is given... Like "in my dojo we wear pink uwagi with dotted hakama, you don't wear one, you don't train here". I'm glad I live where I live and train were I train, must be awful to work under such an authoritarian environment.

And, Jun, this is NOT a personal attack.
Old 10-25-2010, 11:36 AM   #183
mathewjgano

Dojo: Tsubaki Kannagara Jinja Aikidojo; Himeji Shodokan Dojo
United_States

Quote:
In your dojo, you make the rules.
Including whether or not to make accommodations for students?

Gambarimashyo!
Old 10-25-2010, 01:29 PM   #184
guest1234567
Spain

Quote:
So you keep insisting in that no bowing equals no Aikido. Good to know then that O Sensei was also doing Flintstone Ryu and not Aikido.
Alejandro a perhaps silly question, if everybody agrees that O'Sensei is the founder of Aikido, and to bow is a tradition of Aikido if you don't pay homage to O'Sensei you are not doing Aikido, you train but that what you do is another martial art, you can call it as you like but not Aikido...
Remeber I'm here to learn and know very well this is not Aikiforum, I'm the same here than there, I wonder why Demetrio and you are different? And I'm sorry you are no more in Aikiforum...
Old 10-25-2010, 01:44 PM   #185
Demetrio Cereijo
Spain

Quote:
Carina Reinhardt wrote: View Post
I wonder why Demetrio and you are different?
Because he's not as cynical (or galician) as me.
Old 10-25-2010, 02:03 PM   #186
guest1234567
Spain

Quote:
Demetrio Cereijo wrote: View Post
Because he's not as cynical (or galician) as me.
Demetrio, I don't ment you and Alejandro are different, I mean you and Alejandro are different here in this forum than in Aikiforum..
Old 10-25-2010, 02:04 PM   #187
Flintstone
Spain

Quote:
Alejandro a perhaps silly question, if everybody agrees that O'Sensei is the founder of Aikido, and to bow is a tradition of Aikido if you don't pay homage to O'Sensei you are not doing Aikido, you train but that what you do is another martial art, you can call it as you like but not Aikido...
Nobody denies that O Sensei is the founder of Aikido. That opens the door to the debate of whether you, in your dojo, or Cesar for that matter, are doing (O Sensei's) Aikido; but I do believe you don't want to go down that road...

Shall I pay homage to O Sensei? If the answer is yes, who said I don't do it? And if the answer is yes and I don't do it, does that really disqualify my training as Aikido? Huh? Am I getting you right? If I don't pay homage to Euclides, Tales, Newton, Einstein... does that really means I'm not a scientist? I mean... Really??? Says who exactly?

Quote:
Remeber I'm here to learn and know very well this is not Aikiforum, I'm the same here than there, I wonder why Demetrio and you are different? And I'm sorry you are no more in Aikiforum...
Demetrio and myself... we're just the same here and there. Don't be so cynical as to ask me why I don't post again in that garden. You shall know that my opinions there are not of the like of Victor "Palpatine" Gutierrez and so I have the great honor of being the first and last permanent ban there. But now that you ask, please, pass my warmest regards to the Imperator and tell him we still shall meet in any stage, just when he's last expecting me. I'm longing to train with him and have him explain to me what's that yondan worth.

And, Jun, this is not a personal attack. Too.
Old 10-25-2010, 02:05 PM   #188
Demetrio Cereijo
Spain

Quote:
I mean you and Alejandro are different here in this forum than in Aikiforum
When in Rome...

BTW, the cynical is me, not Carina

Last edited by Demetrio Cereijo : 10-25-2010 at 02:08 PM.
Old 10-25-2010, 02:08 PM   #189
guest1234567
Spain

Quote:
When in Rome...
This is not an answer,
Old 10-25-2010, 02:13 PM   #190
Demetrio Cereijo
Spain

Quote:
This is not an answer,
Yours wasn't a question.

Can we stop hijacking this thread? please.
Old 10-25-2010, 02:14 PM   #191
guest1234567
Spain

Quote:
Nobody denies that O Sensei is the founder of Aikido. That opens the door to the debate of whether you, in your dojo, or Cesar for that matter, are doing (O Sensei's) Aikido; but I do believe you don't want to go down that road...
We are doing Endo+ -, better Frank Noels Aikido, but still respect Doshu

Quote:
Shall I pay homage to O Sensei? If the answer is yes, who said I don't do it? And if the answer is yes and I don't do it, does that really disqualify my training as Aikido? Huh? Am I getting you right? If I don't pay homage to Euclides, Tales, Newton, Einstein... does that really means I'm not a scientist? I mean... Really??? Says who exactly?
But it does not hurt you to bow and it is a sign of respect

Quote:
Demetrio and myself... we're just the same here and there. Don't be so cynical as to ask me why I don't post again in that garden. You shall know that my opinions there are not of the like of Victor "Palpatine" Gutierrez and so I have the great honor of being the first and last permanent ban there. But now that you ask, please, pass my warmest regards to the Imperator and tell him we still shall meet in any stage, just when he's last expecting me. I'm longing to train with him and have him explain to me what's that yondan worth.
Alejandro I know this is not an attack, a assure it Yun..
I met Victor once in a semnar.. He does not write very much in the Aikiforum, since I returned,he din't write anything
Old 10-25-2010, 02:16 PM   #192
guest1234567
Spain

Quote:
Yours wasn't a question.

Can we stop hijacking this thread? please.
Ok Demetrio, thats it, in Aikiforum you wouldn't say so, on the contrary...But ok I finish... Maybe sometime I'll understand, I hope it is not what I am thinking
Old 10-25-2010, 02:19 PM   #193
Demetrio Cereijo
Spain

Quote:
Ok Demetrio, thats it, in Aikiforum you wouldn't say so, on the contrary...
Give it a try, but there. Don't bring aikiforum issues to aikiweb.
Old 10-25-2010, 02:31 PM   #194
Flintstone
Spain

Quote:
We are doing Endo+ -, better Frank Noels Aikido, but still respect Doshu
But of course! And then Endo or Noel are doing O Sensei's Aikido...?

Quote:
But it does not hurt you to bow and it is a sign of respect
Well. It does not hurt me. It does hurt, however, at roughly half the world's population. Cold on your tracks?
Old 10-25-2010, 02:38 PM   #195
guest1234567
Spain

Quote:
But of course! And then Endo or Noel are doing O Sensei's Aikido...?
No, thats why I said we still respect Doshu

Quote:
Well. It does not hurt me. It does hurt, however, at roughly half the world's population. Cold on your tracks?
I'm very calm and I'm not cynic, I'm not used to it
Ale, Ale Alejandro , my youngest son is also Alejandro and very naughty...
Old 10-25-2010, 02:55 PM   #196
Carl Thompson

Japan

Quote:
The OP mentions that a student morally/religiously objects bow. This is not about a physical limitation.

In the situations you describe the student themselves probably already try to do the best they can. I think the intent in the scenarios is quite different. Somebody with bad knees may nod, someone with one arm may clap to his chest or slap his upperleg.
This would be very good Aikido...I think...
I also mentioned mental limitations, including psychological disease. It doesn't mean you have to be Dawkins, categorising religion as such. Just as you can physically condition people not to be able to do something (give someone a spinal injury so they can't bow), you can do the same with mental conditioning (bring someone up so bowing is harder than taking part in the pre-keiko sex free-for-all). It is still a condition in which someone cannot do something.

I fully agree that if the student simply has a different opinion on how things should be done, it is a different matter.
Old 10-25-2010, 03:03 PM   #197
Flintstone
Spain

Quote:
No, thats why I said we still respect Doshu.
So maybe, and just maybe, you should stop calling whatever you are doing "Aikido".
Old 10-25-2010, 03:09 PM   #198
guest1234567
Spain

Quote:
I

I fully agree that if the student simply has a different opinion on how things should be done, it is a different matter.
Of course everybody can have different opinions, I believe Aikido also opens the mind...But it just looks very rare if only one student does not bow, for me it has nothing to do with religion it is just a greeting beside a sign of respect to Doshu and the sensei and tradition. I'm not catholic and not used to cross entering in a church, but I feel rare when everybody is crossing.

And please forgive the little discussion with my countrymans, I was just curious about their different behaviour and told them so because of their nice "this is no the aikiforum"
I think we must hold together as spanish aikidoists
Old 10-25-2010, 03:10 PM   #199
guest1234567
Spain

Quote:
So maybe, and just maybe, you should stop calling whatever you are doing "Aikido".
Alejandro we bow and respect Doshu and follow the traditions
Old 10-25-2010, 03:52 PM   #200
guest1234567
Spain

Quote:
Give it a try, but there. Don't bring aikiforum issues to aikiweb.
There is nothing to answer there.
Sorry for that, I explained it before..
And I mostly say what I think..