Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Techniques

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 03-15-2013, 12:57 PM   #1
Michael Varin
Dojo: Aikido of Fresno
United_States
Alternative Names

I often find it interesting to compare the nomenclature of different styles.

I come from an Iwama base, so that tends to be the names that I defer to.

In Iwama we refer to a handful of techniques as kokyu nage. These techniques often have individual names in other styles.

I'd like to know what names people out there use for the following technique:

Uke grabs or pushes with both hands to nage's shoulders/upper chest. Nage steps in or steps back, cutting one arm down at the elbow while pressing the other elbow up, a la ikkyo.

Sorry no pictures or video right now, but if one becomes necessary I'll link one later.

-Michael
"Through aiki we can feel the mind of the enemy who comes to attack and are thus able to respond immediately." - M. Mochizuki
Old 03-15-2013, 02:27 PM   #2
Michael Hackett
Dojo: Kenshinkan Dojo (Aikido of North County) Vista, CA
Re: Alternative Names

That describes what we call ryokatadori ikkyo, stepping in would be the omote version and stepping back would include a tenkan and would be called the ura version.

Michael
"Leave the gun. Bring the cannoli."
Old 03-15-2013, 02:47 PM   #3
Michael Varin
United_States

Michael,

Interesting.

So you use contact with both of uke's elbows to effect the throw and still call it ikkyo?

-Michael
"Through aiki we can feel the mind of the enemy who comes to attack and are thus able to respond immediately." - M. Mochizuki
Old 03-15-2013, 02:56 PM   #4
Cliff Judge
Japan

Quote:
Michael Varin wrote: View Post
I often find it interesting to compare the nomenclature of different styles.

I come from an Iwama base, so that tends to be the names that I defer to.

In Iwama we refer to a handful of techniques as kokyu nage. These techniques often have individual names in other styles.

I'd like to know what names people out there use for the following technique:

Uke grabs or pushes with both hands to nage's shoulders/upper chest. Nage steps in or steps back, cutting one arm down at the elbow while pressing the other elbow up, a la ikkyo.

Sorry no pictures or video right now, but if one becomes necessary I'll link one later.
Interesting. That is not too common at my dojo, I think if it were named we'd consider it a tenshi nage. Possibly ryokata tenshi nage.

But it really sounds quite a lot like the first half of Koshi Garuma from mainline Daito ryu.
Old 03-15-2013, 03:20 PM   #5
chillzATL
United_States

for us that sounds like ryokatatori kokyunage. We do this same exercise often as ryokatatori randori.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjY7wPXtE1U

This guy basically does what I think we're talking about around teh :20 mark.
Old 03-15-2013, 03:48 PM   #6
Michael Varin
United_States

Quote:
Jason Casteel wrote: View Post
for us that sounds like ryokatatori kokyunage. We do this same exercise often as ryokatatori randori.

Yeah.

That's pretty much the technique I was describing, albeit with a somewhat loose execution.

-Michael
Old 03-15-2013, 06:13 PM   #7
Michael Hackett

Michael, I misunderstood your description. In the AAA that would be referred to ryokatatori kokyunage, pivot throw variation (we count five pivot throws from that attack). The earlier ikkyo variation I mentioned would have Nage reaching across one arm with a little weight while grasping Uke's other wrist and lifting on that arm's elbow into ikkyo. My error.

Michael
Old 03-15-2013, 08:50 PM   #8
Cliff Judge
Japan

Yeah I didn't visualize this technique from your description either. Ryotedori kokynage. What a very interesting initial thought I had there.
Old 03-15-2013, 10:48 PM   #9
Michael Varin
United_States

Written descriptions are a funny thing... To me it was clear!

OK. We have four votes for kokyu nage, including my own.

Does anyone else have an alternate name for this technique?

-Michael
Old 03-15-2013, 11:21 PM   #10
Malicat
Dojo: Suenaka-Ha Aikido of Bloomington
United_States

Quote:
Written descriptions are a funny thing... To me it was clear!

OK. We have four votes for kokyu nage, including my own.

Does anyone else have an alternate name for this technique?
Funny enough, from your description, I was envisioning a tenshi nage, but if we are indeed going with the video, I defer to Jason with the ryo kata tori kokyu nage. Although, according to my understanding of kokyu nage, any throw that can not end in a pin, ie the uke is thrown away from the nage instead of kept close, is a kokyu nage. We do several 'named' techniques that are still kokyu nages, but have their own specific names, like tenshi nage and ago tsuki age.
Old 03-16-2013, 11:39 AM   #11
Michael Hackett

Ummmm, alternative name? Ralph? Seriously, there is, or should be, a wheel-like aspect to this throw, so maybe a kaitenage? In our test requirements, the technique is listed as "pivot throw variations required" under the heading of ryokatatori kokyunage, so that's what I am most comfortable with. A test candidate is expected to demonstrate all five pivot throw variations and then a variety of more classic kokyunage.

Michael
Old 03-16-2013, 11:48 AM   #12
graham christian
Dojo: golden center aikido-highgate
England

I would call it a tenchinage variation. Rather than looking at technique but rather from motion for me it is therefor heaven and earth motion no matter what added name given to it due to it's variation.

Basically answered by this question....what is the motion of tenchinage? It is leading up and down at the same time, some call it leading mind in two directions (heaven and earth) and some call it opening the person up. Either way it's leading up and down at the same time and stepping through.

That's how I describe it.

Peace.G.
Old 03-16-2013, 07:06 PM   #13
chillzATL
United_States

Quote:
Yeah.

That's pretty much the technique I was describing, albeit with a somewhat loose execution.
Yah I wasn't looking for quality, just an example of what I thought you were describing. FWIW I don't recall ever practicing this technique as a technique apart from the randori exercise. Why that is, I can't exactly say, though my thoughts are that it's a matter of practicality or maybe the very specific attack requirements to be practical. With that said, this is one of the two techniques I've done on someone in a real situation and it was quite effective. Though maybe that says the technique as part of the exercise is more important than the technique alone. Worth noodling on I suppose.
Old 03-16-2013, 09:03 PM   #14
mathewjgano

Dojo: Tsubaki Kannagara Jinja Aikidojo; Himeji Shodokan Dojo
United_States

I would have called this ryokatadori tenchi nage (like this?), but I've seen other waza that I thought would be called by a diffferent name. What would be the difference between this and the other example, apart from the high fall style of ukemi and the katate dori?

Last edited by mathewjgano : 03-16-2013 at 09:06 PM.

Gambarimashyo!
Old 03-16-2013, 10:09 PM   #15
Janet Rosen

Quote:
Jason Casteel wrote: View Post

Yep, I also know it as basic randori technique, not otherwise named.

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield
Old 03-18-2013, 03:42 PM   #16
philipsmith
Dojo: Ren Shin Kan
United Kingdom

If memory serves techniques didn't have standard names until some point in the late 60's.
My late father had a first edition of Nidai Doshus book "Aikido".

Nikkyo was described as kote-mawashi ikkyo as ude-osae along with some other differences to modern nomenclature.

When I next visit my mother (where the book still resides) I'll look it up; but I believe the standardisation of technique names within the Aikikai was one of the many innovations introduced by nidai doshu.
Old 03-19-2013, 06:05 AM   #17
Michael Vlug
Dojo: Aikido Rotterdam Tenchigowa
Netherlands

Quote:
Philip Smith wrote: View Post
If memory serves techniques didn't have standard names until some point in the late 60's.
My late father had a first edition of Nidai Doshus book "Aikido".

Nikkyo was described as kote-mawashi ikkyo as ude-osae along with some other differences to modern nomenclature.

When I next visit my mother (where the book still resides) I'll look it up; but I believe the standardisation of technique names within the Aikikai was one of the many innovations introduced by nidai doshu.
Ikkyo - Ude Osae
Nikkyo - Kote Mawashi
Sankyo - Kote Hineri
Yonkyo - Tekubi Osae
Gokyyo - Ude Nobashi

I'm not sure about the spelling, though...

"Foster and polish the warrior spirit, while serving in the world; illuminate the path according to your inner light."