Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Supplies

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 04-19-2011, 06:38 PM   #1
Mark Mueller
Dojo First Aid Kit

Any recommendations on a first aid kit for the dojo? Anyone have a good list of stuff they keep around or a pre-assembled kit that works for them?
Old 04-19-2011, 07:41 PM   #2
lbb
United_States
Re: Dojo First Aid Kit

1" athletic tape
Instant ice packs (not necessary if you have a freezer, just make sure you keep ice on hand)
1" bandaids
Soap is more important than antibacterial ointment
Ibuprofin
Acetaminophen
nitrile gloves
A couple of sanitary napkins (for direct pressure in case of heavy bleeding)

That pretty much covers situations where you need first aid. More important still, though, is having people who are trained in first aid and know when and how to use the stuff.
Old 04-19-2011, 09:40 PM   #3
Janet Rosen

This dojo nurse adds to Mary's list:
eye wash for emergency flushing of eyes
gauze pads (3x3 is a good basic size)
an Ace wrap
salt tablets
sugar tablets or glucose in a tube for a diabetic who may have forgotten his

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield
Old 04-20-2011, 03:08 AM   #4
Tony Wagstaffe
United Kingdom

Buy 'em in Sainsbury's, Screwfix, B&Q quite a few places really....
Old 04-20-2011, 06:34 AM   #5
Mark Mueller

Thanks! Great suggestions!
Old 04-21-2011, 07:34 AM   #6
Marc Abrams
Dojo: Aikido Arts of Shin Budo Kai/ Bedford Hills, New York
United_States

I would add at least one item:

1) Liquid band aid. Most of the abrasions and cuts that occur take place in areas that don't do well with band-aids. This "glue" works great!

If you have live blades on hand, some serious blood clotting agent on hand.

Marc Abrams
Old 04-21-2011, 08:08 AM   #7
lbb
United_States

Quote:
Marc Abrams wrote: View Post
I would add at least one item:

1) Liquid band aid. Most of the abrasions and cuts that occur take place in areas that don't do well with band-aids. This "glue" works great!
The problem with this is that most liquid band aids have applicators that are really, really not meant to be shared.
Old 04-21-2011, 08:21 AM   #8
Michael Hackett
Dojo: Kenshinkan Dojo (Aikido of North County) Vista, CA

Mary's suggestion about sanitary pads is excellent. We used to carry them in our patrol cars to use as pressure bandages and they were outstanding for that purpose. With the clotting agents available now, they would be even more effective for a live blade event.

Michael
"Leave the gun. Bring the cannoli."
Old 04-21-2011, 11:32 AM   #9
dbotari
Canada

Michael,

Can you name a few brands of clotting agent? I assume they are available "over the counter".

Thanks,
Old 04-21-2011, 08:24 PM   #10
Basia Halliop
Canada

Quote:
The problem with this is that most liquid band aids have applicators that are really, really not meant to be shared.
I don't think they're even meant to be reused, are they? Aren't they for one-time use? If each used applicator is thrown out then sharing wouldn't be an issue.
Old 04-21-2011, 10:13 PM   #11
ninjaqutie

Dojo: Searching for a new home
United_States

As mentioned above, I'm a fan of liquid bandaids like nuskin. It works great when you are too sweaty to have a band-aid stick to your skin or its in an awkward area. They have some individual packs that are single uses, but most commonly, it is a small jar/vial that is meant for multiple uses. I'm not sure if there is anything in the formula itself to kill bacteria or not, so sharing may not be the best thing without further research.

Of course, they have disposable mini brushes you can use that aren't so expensive......

Last edited by ninjaqutie : 04-21-2011 at 10:16 PM.

~Look into the eyes of your opponent & steal his spirit.
~To be a good martial artist is to be good thief; if you want my knowledge, you must take it from me.
Old 04-22-2011, 12:20 AM   #12
Michael Hackett

Dan,
I don't know the brand names of any of the clotting agents that are now available as I have no personal experience with them. I've read articles about the products and the Marines here at Camp Pendleton have them readily available in the field. Sorry.

Michael
Old 04-22-2011, 06:26 AM   #13
lbb
United_States

Quote:
Basia Halliop wrote: View Post
I don't think they're even meant to be reused, are they? Aren't they for one-time use? If each used applicator is thrown out then sharing wouldn't be an issue.
Around here it is a liquid, sold in a small bottle with a brush, like nail polish. Each bottle holds quite a few applications.
Old 04-23-2011, 07:21 AM   #14
Michael Hackett

Dan,

The clotting agent is called QuikClot and is available on line from various suppliers. Hope you never need it.

Michael
Old 04-26-2011, 01:13 PM   #15
dbotari
Canada

Quote:
Michael Hackett wrote: View Post
Dan,

The clotting agent is called QuikClot and is available on line from various suppliers. Hope you never need it.
Thanks Michael!
Old 04-26-2011, 01:45 PM   #16
Keith Larman
Dojo: AIA, Los Angeles, CA
United_States

Since others have posted, a couple random observations.

QuikClot, Bloodstop, etc. are all what are called hemostatic agents. Search on hemostatic on google for more sources. I would suggest it if you work with live blades. Yeah, it is a "hope to God you never need it", but it is also a thing you will thank God the rest of your life if you ever do.

Also, if you can afford the price, an AED (Automated External Defibrillator) would be a great thing to have.

And yeah, liquid skin stuff really isn't intended to be shared.

Kinesiology tape if you have someone who knows how to use it. Nice to be able to wrap up a sprained ankle or knee for minor injuries.

Finally, something like Microcyn for cuts and abrasions. It is a non-prescription stuff that is great in killing even some of the nastiest bugs without antibiotics. Lord knows I get cut a lot and I swear by the stuff. And actually, I use the veterinarian version of the stuff, Vetericyn, since I can get it at my local pet store (same stuff). Good to put on dressings when covering a cut.

Old 04-26-2011, 08:14 PM   #17
Rob Watson
United_States

Quote:
Keith Larman wrote: View Post
QuikClot, Bloodstop, etc. are all what are called hemostatic agents. Search on hemostatic on google for more sources. I would suggest it if you work with live blades. Yeah, it is a "hope to God you never need it", but it is also a thing you will thank God the rest of your life if you ever do.
I once got a remarkably nasty cut on my palm that was severe enough to cause me to reach for the QuikClot ... that time it really didn't work for me so I remain unconvinved of the utility beyond a pressure bandage. Also, quite tricky to apply one handed so be sure to have some friends around when getting cut.

PS
If you can get it an epipen it comes in handy when needed and nothing else will replace it when you need it.

"In my opinion, the time of spreading aikido to the world is finished; now we have to focus on quality." Yamada Yoshimitsu

Ultracrepidarianism ... don't.
Old 04-26-2011, 09:17 PM   #18
Michael Hackett

Keith,
I stopped using veternary quality products after I ended up in the hospital once. I used some DMSO on a bruise and got hit by a car while sitting in the street scratching myself.

Sorry, just couldn't resist.

Michael
Old 08-22-2011, 07:55 PM   #19
BKK
Dojo: Elkton Ki Aikido, Elkton Va.
United_States

We do tameshigiri at our dojo so I just bought some trauma kits that have a blood clotting agent called Celox, along with a nifty thing called an "Israeli Battle Dressing".

If you research Quick Clot you'll find that one of the reasons that you hope to never use it is because it contains a substance that causes burns. It cauterizes the wound, and to add insult to injury it also needs to be removed from the wound because the body won't absorb it. The stuff that the military gets now uses a different ingredient that doesn't get as hot, so doesn't cause burns, but that is not the version that is available to the general public. Nice huh?

The Celox doesn't get hot, it works through an entirely different process, and the body will absorb any that is left in the wound.

And no, I don't own stock in the company... :-)

Brian
Old 08-23-2011, 05:01 AM   #20
Abasan
Dojo: Aiki Shoshinkan, Aiki Kenkyukai
Malaysia

Generally for a simple and safe dojo.
Iodine for cuts
Plasters and bandages
Tape
Calamine lotion
And lots of spit...
Most dojo's don't fight with bayonets and don't require extensive first aid to spilled guts or gauged arteries...
Otherwise resort to clapping the hand, rubbing it a bit and channeling healing ki to the injury. Cue dramatic ki music.

Draw strength from stillness. Learn to act without acting. And never underestimate a samurai cat.
Old 08-23-2011, 06:54 AM   #21
lbb
United_States

Ahmad, what is the calamine lotion for? Mat burns?
Old 08-23-2011, 07:05 AM   #22
Aviv
Dojo: Aikido in Fredericksburg
United_States

The lists mentioned so far would be better with more items, including at least:

nail clippers
aspirin
benadryl
crutches

Peace, Aviv Goldsmith
Aikido in Fredericksburg
www.aikidoinfredericksburg.org
Old 08-23-2011, 07:08 AM   #23
lbb
United_States

Quote:
Aviv Goldsmith wrote: View Post
The lists mentioned so far would be better with more items, including at least:

nail clippers
Not nail clippers. There are pathogens (hep B, for example) that will survive happily on nail clippers, and transmit themselves to other people. Don't share water bottles, don't share nail clippers.
Old 08-23-2011, 07:51 AM   #24
John A Butz
Dojo: Itten Dojo, Enola PA
United_States

I recomend taking a training course with a certified instructor of first aid, preferably one who will be able to focus on the areas you are likely to encounter in a dojo environment. Ask the experts advice in assembling your kit. An AED is worth the cost, in my opinion, as are the sundry clotting agents and other things that have been mentioned for serious tramua. The normal things like bandaids, gauze, painkillers (reviewed regularly for expiration dates) anseptic of your choice, etc are good to have around, and they should also be inspected on a regular basis for freshness.

Most people put a first aid kit aside and promptly forget about it, which means when you do need it, it might not be up to the task, no matter how nice it was when you assembled it years or months ago (little things like bandiads and tape and such will be used pretty consistently, and so you can run out and not know it. Big ticket items ared more likely to be unused, but it is still worth taking inventory so that you don't have to assume, you know). Make a habit of reviewing the contents of your kit once every 6 months.

You want to be sure that the majority of your seniors and regular dojo attendees have some certifications. CPR and basic first aid training will not make you into a battlefield surgeon or anything, but if you have some training you are more likely to take effective action when you need to. Again, this training should be updated and repeated often, so that you retain skills and remain abreast of the most recent methods (I have been CPR certified for quite a few years, and they seem to keep changing and simplfying that process based on research as to what works. I would have been largely ignorant of these changes had my dojo not continued to work on staying current with our certifications).

Have an emergency management plan for the dojo. Practice and plan so that you are not surprised when something happens. I'm not saying you need to devote a lot of time to it, but if you, as a dojo, have worked out what to do and who is responsilbe for what when the fecal matter really hits the whirling blades, there will be less time wasted.

Edit - Additonally, learn what you have to watch out for. Things like having a communal pair of nail clippers leap out to me as the mark of the uneducated (and a spectacularly BAD idea). When dealing with bodily fluids and injury in this day and age, ignorance is potentially lethal and life-altering. Don't make assumptions.

Last edited by John A Butz : 08-23-2011 at 07:57 AM.
Old 08-23-2011, 09:53 AM   #25
phitruong
Dojo: Charlotte Aikikai Agatsu Dojo
United_States

Quote:
Ahmad Abas wrote: View Post
And lots of spit...
isn't that what the bottle of whiskey at the bottom (in some places would be at the top) of the kit is for, pour on top of the wound and pour into the wounded.