Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Internal Training in Aikido

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 03-02-2014, 06:11 PM   #1
Chris Li

Dojo: Aikido Sangenkai
United_States
Finding Aiki - and Aikido - in Hawaii

New blog post! "Finding Aiki - and Aikido - in Hawaii".

Enjoy!

Chris

Old 03-02-2014, 06:27 PM   #2
jamie yugawa

Dojo: Sapporo
Japan
Re: Finding Aiki - and Aikido - in Hawaii

My favorite quote from the article "When told that some people believe that the material covered at the workshops is unrelated to Aikido, Meyer Goo's answer was short and to the point -- "Who are these people, did they train with Ueshiba Sensei?"

One little candle can light 10,000 candles- Koichi Tohei Sensei
Old 03-03-2014, 05:03 AM   #3
Zoe
Dojo: Currently relocating
United_States

My favorite was when he got up and went to Dan and said in front of us "I never thought I would feel Osensei's power ever again. What you are doing is very important. Don't stop. No matter what they say." I suppose that coupled with your favorite quote "Who are these people, did they train with Ueshiba Sensei?" Really gets to the point doesn't it?
Your favorite quote was the exact same thing a teacher I know (who also trained with Osensei) said about Dan's work.

Last edited by Zoe : 03-03-2014 at 05:05 AM.
Old 03-03-2014, 07:08 AM   #4
Dazaifoo
Dojo: Chikushino Rental Dojo
Japan

Meyer seems like a real cool cat, can't wait to read more of what he has to say. As for me, I stand by my words and then some. I mean, I live in Japan for Pete's sake and now... what can I say? Nothing that I've experienced over here compares to this, it all seems so... empty. I'll be coming back to Hawaii for more as much as I can. I keep going over and reworking my personal goals regarding this training, the hardest thing for me right now is 'keep it simple dummy". I gotta put in my time with basics. Lots of slow basics. "DO NOT get bored with this!" keeps bouncing around in my head. Roger that.

The other thought that leapt out at me was "Good lord! Does my a$$ really look that big?"
Old 03-03-2014, 07:22 AM   #5
Mert Gambito

Nice documentation! Thanks for posting, Chris. Hopefully, more of that to come, in due time, regarding the others to whom we have access who've had first-hand experience with Ueshiba and Tohei.

Scott -- Meyer, despite being barely mobile due to his surgery and age (moreso due to the former), still packs a wallop!

Hopefully you've been able to recruit at least one or two other push-testers to help spell the wife (there is often a honeymoon effect with this type of training, both for the practitioner and those who have to live within close proximity of the quaintness of it all).

A hui hou!

Mert
Old 03-03-2014, 09:25 AM   #6
jamie yugawa

Dojo: Sapporo
Japan

Quote:
Nothing that I've experienced over here compares to this, it all seems so... empty.
Yeah I know how you feel. The funny thing is that in my training I have always been searching for this ..even though I did not know I was. Once I found "it" I knew that's it!!! That's the thing I have looking for! As for training "straight" Aikido, its now like eating bland food ...with no spice or seasonings in it...goodbye salt.....adios paprika.....

I remember one pivotal event in my training that stuck in my head. At a training session I was told I was using too much muscle and to relax. I realized I could not move how he wanted. I then asked "How do I do that?" After a blank stare for a bit he stated "Just train more." Thanks for the advice.....

How many of us got this answer?
How many of us have been banging our heads against the wall trying to achieve this 'relaxed power'? How many years in the traditional route would it have taken?
10 years?
15 years ? .
30 years?
If so how much relaxed power would you have?
a little?
a medium amount?

Nothing????

Nothing is guaranteed in training .....except hitting the mat.

The "secret" is now in the open. With hard work and dedication this relaxed power is available to us now...give or take a couple of years.....

One little candle can light 10,000 candles- Koichi Tohei Sensei
Old 03-03-2014, 11:07 AM   #7
jonreading

Dojo: Aikido South
United_States

Keep up the great posts...
We are also having this "empty feeling" as we realize how incomplete is our aikido waza (and the idea of what it could be like). In some ways, it has given us a new perspective on how great aikido was and a path back to "is". In other ways, it gives us the confidence to give back what is not ours (to claim as an art) and focus on what is. In yet other ways, it puts pressure to better teach aiki because now there is a method of verifying what is going on. I believe all of these things to be positive for aiki training.

Jon Reading
Old 04-01-2014, 08:50 PM   #8
Stephen Nichol
Dojo: Aikilife, Canberra
Australia

How many more sleeps until the July seminars?!

Only correct answer is: Too many
Old 07-02-2014, 12:20 PM   #9
Mert Gambito

Quote:
Stephen Nichol wrote: View Post
How many more sleeps until the July seminars?!

Only correct answer is: Too many
Stephen,

Save travels!

Mert