Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Techniques

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 01-19-2007, 12:43 AM   #1
MorpheusNSC

Dojo: UAF
United_States
Question Routine Name?

I apologize for the astounging ignorance which will be in evidence from this question, but... nevertheless...

I took a semester of Aikido last spring and have not been able to return to formal class because of inconsistent health, but I have maintained a regular home pracitce of the ki exercises, at least.

I'm feeling better more often now and wanted to introduce a practice routine we learned at the very end of class into my home practice, but the problem is...

I don't remember any of the terminology, so trying to find a book to walk me through the steps to make sure I'm still doing it right.

It was called something like the eight basic skills or something like that and it involved sets of movements done to the right side from moving through the progression and then backwards through the progression on the left side. You start and end in a ready stance.

Does Kihan Douza sound right????

Sorry to be such a blithering idiot about this, but we only spent the last couple weeks with this, and it's been ten months since I heard the terms.

Thanks for any help you might have for me. If I think of the names of any of the individual movement sets, I'll add that to the post.
Old 01-19-2007, 07:46 AM   #2
Ron Tisdale
Dojo: Doshinkan dojo in Roxborough, Pa
United_States
Re: Routine Name?

No need to appologize, this is a very good question. If it was a yoshinkan dojo, the term is Kihon Dosa, and the exercise is united basic movements. It should be detailed in any of Gozo Shioda's books, in Inoue Sensei's books, and probably on the web somewhere as well. It is an excellent solo training regimen.

If I might make a suggestion...even if you can't train full out right now, contact your nearest yoshinkan dojo, explain your health issues, and ask if the instructor can take some time to coach you through the set. I think with that kind of guidence, you should be able to work up a routine that can be very effective in maintaining your health, posture and movement. Then if you are ready to train again in the future, you'll have a good head start.

If I find a good description on the web, I'll post it. My Japanese is horrible, so I'll stick to English for most the names now...

Kamae - basic stance
cross-step in body change
95 degree pivot
Hiriki no yosei ich - elbow power number one
Hiriki no yosei ni - elbow power number two
After class exercise number one
After class exercise number two (these are also sometimes referred to as Finishing Exercise in some of Shioda Sensei's books)

As you said, start in right basic stance, go through them, come back down in left basic stance. You can also do these with a partner...
Best,
Ron

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
"The higher a monkey climbs, the more you see of his behind."
St. Bonaventure (ca. 1221-1274)
Old 01-19-2007, 11:16 AM   #3
Ron Tisdale
United_States

Ah, found a link to a youtube clip of the kihon dosa renzoku.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bAWW85LcKps

Best,
Ron

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
Old 01-25-2007, 10:28 PM   #4
MorpheusNSC

Dojo: UAF
United_States

Thanks fo both replies, Ron. That's defiitely the routine and the you-tube video is a tremendous help. There's an aikido club which meets on Saturdays here, and I hope to get over there very soon to get some more interactive practice and ease my way back into action.

I actually have Dynamic Aikido, but the presentation of the the kihon dosa routine is pretty different-looking in there so I didn't really recognize it. That was part of my confusion. Your step-by-step reminder of the basic terms helps me sort through what's going on in the book, though. Combined with the video, it's enough to get me starting on it again for now.

(And, yes, all, I know there's no substitute for a sensei and that you can't really learn aikido without a partner to practice... but, nevertheless... what I can do now is better than not at all...)
Old 01-26-2007, 09:08 AM   #5
Ron Tisdale
United_States

You are very welcome, enjoy your training, and hope to see you on the mat sometime.

Best,
Ron

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
Old 01-26-2007, 12:37 PM   #6
Charlie

Hi Ron...

Did you get a chance to go back and look at the Terada sensei translations? I think they kinda got lost in the back and forth of the Baseline Skill set thread.

That being said, I think that there is a lot of information to be found in them for all to use. However, those that are already versed in the Yoshinkan methodology should find it even more useful since they should already have the basic framework in place.

I know that for myself, the new imagery sure provided me with a lot to work on.

Here is the link if you need them again...

http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showpo...&postcount=165

Regards,

Charlie

Charles Burmeister
Aikido Yoshinkan Yoseikai

"Calmness is trust in action"
Old 01-29-2007, 07:16 AM   #7
Ron Tisdale
United_States

Thanks Charlie...I did go there briefly, but need to find time to look more closely. I'll use this link...easier to find!

Best,
Ron

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------