Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 08-09-2011, 04:23 PM   #1
Scott Harrington
United_States
Largest Hidden in Plain Sight Spiral Ever

One of my beliefs is that the history of Daito ryu and Aikido is dependent on its ‘birthing' and upbringing. Certainly Ueshiba's worldview (and phraseology describing Aikido) derived much from his Ōmoto-kyō beliefs.

A similar situation resolves around Takeda Sokau's life in the Aizu Wakamatsu region. The Aizu clan had strict codes of behavior and military training. This codification surely also extended into religious beliefs and customs.

While little has been found regarding Daito ryu and Aizu roots, it has been stated that Saigo Tanomo (a VERY high ranking Aizu councilor) was the conduit to teach Takeda Sokaku. After the breakup of the Aizu region he entered into Buddhist service in a shrine / temple to live out the rest of his life.

Well, with all the talk about spirals and their influence in ‘internal arts' I can only say," WHAT the H*** influence could this temple have had?"

Known as Sazaedo Hall, constructed in 1796 in the Aizu Wakamatsu region, this unique structure was designed using a double helical structure, so that one entering could ascend to the top and without breaking path, continue downward without retracing your steps. Various alcoves in the wooden structure held Buddhist icons (all lost in time) for special reverence.

I could easily see Saigo Tanomo taking Takeda Sokaku to Sazaedo Hall and as they began the circular climb, and begin to show how this structure could be incorporated into a ‘body structure' allowing one to be rooted to the heavens and the earth in a continuous, flowing pattern. Just imagine, anyone touching a rotating spiral is immediately deflected around without disturbing the center core. Using breathing techniques and exercises, one could internalize this to enhance martial techniques. Kind of like aiki, ne?

A stretch? Surely World War II veterans sent off on ships from New York City, passing the Statue of Liberty realized better what their combat service was protecting as they entered into harm's way.

The Entsu Sanso do (formal name), nickname based on the spiral shaped marine snail has been restored and there are even 3d diagrams available online to better get an eye on how this unique structure was designed and built.
Here is a you tube link of a tour thru it, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbsIFksqZus .

I do not know exactly how this may have been used as a teaching aid but certainly a different take on the spiraling issue on discussion.

Scott Harrington
Old 08-09-2011, 04:54 PM   #2
Walker

Dojo: 鷹松道場|Takamatsu Dojo ATL
United_States
Re: Largest Hidden in Plain Sight Spiral Ever

Cool building.

Saigo Tonomo/Hoshina Chikanori was a guuji - shinto priest, not buddhist...

(not that they're all that different, they were separated in 1886)

-Doug Walker
新道楊心流の鷹松道場
Old 08-09-2011, 05:11 PM   #3
Janet Rosen

Very cool building! But {wicked grin} which came first: conceptual importance of spiral or the building?

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield
Old 08-09-2011, 10:09 PM   #4
thisisnotreal

Kind of reminds me of this pic (dual spiral sculpture)
Old 08-10-2011, 12:54 AM   #5
robin_jet_alt
Australia

It's definitely a very cool building. I visited it a few years ago, and it is more impressive in person than in the photograph.

As for any connection with Takeda, it's all conjecture at this stage, but you never know.
Old 08-10-2011, 11:01 AM   #6
Allen Beebe
United_States

http://harmoniouspalette.com/poizZframeE.gif
Click image for larger version

Name:	poizZframeE.gif
Views:	83
Size:	9.3 KB
ID:	901

Imagine a circle with a single twist. Imagine taking hold and moving the circle in the manner of a conveyor belt. From a fixed view point the belt appears to be moving forward and backward in perfectly equal measure. Now twist the circle a couple more times. The spirals become more visually pronounced and the conveyor belt continues to operate in the same manner. Where is the beginning? Where is the end?

Shingon Mikkyo has a term "Nyuga Ganyu," "entering into, being entered into." The above image is a pretty good visual description of Nyuga Ganyu. From one perspective the balance is absolute. It is singular. (The circle) From another perspective it is relative "+ & -" "entering into, being entered into" "in/yo, yin/yang".

From the absolute perspective time makes little sense. From a relative perspective time makes sense (past/future) and a spiral can appear proceeding and receding in equal measure.

From here all hell breaks loose!

In Shingon, there is also a Heaven/Earth/Man conception as well. Probably the easiest place to see that is in the floral arrangements of the Sagago Ryu school of Ikebana.

All over simplified and FWIW. (How does one over simplify a singularity?)

Very cool BTW. I don't recall this from my trips to Aizu. Thanks for posting and for the YouTube link.

~ Allen Beebe
Old 08-10-2011, 11:10 AM   #7
Allen Beebe
United_States

Saga Goryu Ikebana

http://www.mayukominami.com/saga.html

Heaven/Earth/Man in brief. (btw it may be a secret so don't tell anybody! )

~ Allen Beebe
Old 08-10-2011, 01:51 PM   #8
Scott Harrington
United_States

Drifiting into some spooky waters here with the Shingon references. A friend and I had a nice visit several years ago at the Shingon Temple in L.A.

The head priestess, who treated us very nicely, was of advanced age and had a severe case of dowager's hump due to osteoporosis. I have often wanted to go up there and see the fire ceremony - pyrotechnics!!!!

Here is a visual image connected to 'interfacing' with the buddha.

"This is some really esoteric s***, man! Like far out." One can imagine Ueshiba being greatly influenced (having previous exposure) by shingon drills once he had been taught IP / Aiki.

What a strange mix, though Takeda Sokaku had similar run-ins. He just seemed to be more level-headed about it. Yeah, it works, look how I can throw you down whenever I want with it.

Getting away from spirals, but interesting.

Scott Harrington
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	with buddha smaller.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	902  
Old 08-10-2011, 02:12 PM   #9
Howard Popkin
Dojo: www.pbjjc.com
United_States

Hey Al,

You know anything about shingon ?
Old 08-10-2011, 03:01 PM   #10
Allen Beebe
United_States

Quote:
Howard Popkin wrote: View Post
Hey Al,

You know anything about shingon ?
Enough to know better than to take myself too seriously!

~ Allen Beebe
Old 08-10-2011, 06:07 PM   #11
Erick Mead

Dojo: Big Green Drum (W. Florida Aikikai)
United_States

Quote:
Allen Beebe wrote: View Post
http://harmoniouspalette.com/poizZframeE.gif
Attachment 901
Imagine a circle with a single twist. Imagine taking hold and moving the circle in the manner of a conveyor belt. From a fixed view point the belt appears to be moving forward and backward in perfectly equal measure. Now twist the circle a couple more times. The spirals become more visually pronounced and the conveyor belt continues to operate in the same manner. Where is the beginning? Where is the end?
.... From a relative perspective time makes sense (past/future) and a spiral can appear proceeding and receding in equal measure.
Excellent. Now. Think 3d. Think tubular balloons. Think of the kinks that form when you twist them. Think of spiral stresses (compression v. tension) rather than movement in proceeding v. receding .

The balloon is just a deformed sphere (as is the human body -- though some are more spherical than others ). Twist the balloon and a kink occurs -- and you get two deformed spheres. More twists and more kinks and you get a chain of spheres -- like balloon animals -- which can all be reunified into one spherical structure -- or that can resume chainlike behavior -- instantaneously, or progressively, either way.

"Spherical rotations," as Dosshu described things, maybe not far off..

Last edited by Erick Mead : 08-10-2011 at 06:16 PM.

Cordially,

Erick Mead
一隻狗可久里馬房但他也不是馬的.
Old 08-10-2011, 08:13 PM   #12
robin_jet_alt
Australia

Quote:
Allen Beebe wrote: View Post

Very cool BTW. I don't recall this from my trips to Aizu. Thanks for posting and for the YouTube link.
It's at Iimoriyama, near the Byakkotai memorial.
Old 08-10-2011, 10:38 PM   #13
Allen Beebe
United_States

Quote:
Robin Boyd wrote: View Post
It's at Iimoriyama, near the Byakkotai memorial.
Huh! I remember the Byakkotai memorial but not the cool spiraling pagoda. On the other hand, I shouldn't be too surprised that I can't remember. Today I ran across a journal I kept that dated from '86. I'm surprised at what I remembered and what I didn't. I don't remember being privy to the kind of information that I obviously was . . . I wrote it down! It is too bad I stopped writing! The other interesting thing is that almost everyone I wrote about is now dead!

~ Allen Beebe
Old 08-10-2011, 11:21 PM   #14
robin_jet_alt
Australia

Wow, '86 was a long time ago.

I only moved away from Fukushima last year and I'm already forgetting lots of stuff. It's scary how little I remember.
Old 08-11-2011, 11:24 AM   #15
jester

United_States

Quote:
Erick Mead wrote: View Post
Excellent. Now. Think 3d. Think tubular balloons.

The balloon is just a deformed sphere (as is the human body -- though some are more spherical than others ). Twist the balloon and a kink occurs -- and you get two deformed spheres.
Speaking of Balloons and houses!!

-It seems to be all about semantics!
Old 08-11-2011, 01:24 PM   #16
Allen Beebe
United_States

Quote:
Robin Boyd wrote: View Post
Wow, '86 was a long time ago.

I only moved away from Fukushima last year and I'm already forgetting lots of stuff. It's scary how little I remember.
I remember '86 Ike it was yesterday . . . Or I remember yesterday as well as I do '86' which is a bit sad.

Anyway, it is all like a continuous spiral: the more things change, the more they stay the same. (except for my waistline which is more like the ever expanding perimeter of the universe! )

~ Allen Beebe
Old 08-05-2019, 02:31 AM   #17
Bernd Lehnen
Germany

So?

Have a look, please..
https://www.ancient-origins.net/anci...hambord-009689

Best,
Bernd
Old 08-05-2019, 11:22 PM   #18
Rupert Atkinson

Dojo: Wherever I am.
United Kingdom

When I was a kid we had the Helter Skelter - in plain view for all to experience. Does that count on my road to Satori?

Last edited by Rupert Atkinson : 08-05-2019 at 11:25 PM.

Old 08-06-2019, 03:02 AM   #19
Bernd Lehnen
Germany

Quote:
Rupert Atkinson wrote: View Post
When I was a kid we had the Helter Skelter - in plain view for all to experience. Does that count on my road to Satori?
Hi Rupert,

May be, it could have helped to open your mind, to get an early first inkling. The gut-feeling.

For further reading I'd always recommend HIPS and Chris Lee's Sangenkai-blog.

Old Ueshiba might have said, you'd have to understand the double-helix, the balance of opposing forces from within, to get aikido-do right.

So again, one simple helix, not more than but just half a hint.

Hint, hint…

Best,
Bernd
Old 08-06-2019, 03:36 AM   #20
Bernd Lehnen
Germany

Of course, it's Chris Li's blog.
Bernd