Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Weapons

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 08-09-2008, 07:28 AM   #51
Stefan Stenudd

Dojo: Enighet Malmo Sweden
Sweden
Bokken on Hombu

Quote:
Stefan Hultberg wrote: View Post
I have never been to the Hombu dojo (but am hoping to train there in april!!!) and it surprises me that they apparently do not do mch weapons training there. Is there a particular reason for this??
I have heard no official reason. I guess it would be something along the line that taijutsu is the core of aikido, and so that is what Hombu focuses on.

I have heard some gossip
It seems that Osensei reacted when one of the instructors was teaching weapons...

Anyway, what is taught - sometimes - is defense against weapons. There's no "taboo" on Hombu against that. But as far as I know, aikiken (sword against sword) or aikijo (jo against jo or sword) is not taught.
They do have a lot of bokken and jo hanging on the walls, though. Students often practice with them between classes. What I have seen them do is usually (but not only) Saito sensei stuff.

Stefan Stenudd
My aikido website: https://www.stenudd.com/aikido/
My YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/Aikidostenudd
Old 08-23-2008, 09:16 AM   #52
Tkoyama
Dojo: UCSC Aikido Club
United_States
Ai symbol Re: How does training with the Bokken Help to improve my Aikido?

My Personal opinion on weapons is that they are very important because most if not all Aikido movements are based on weapons techniques. In my opinion in order to understand the present one must understand the source and where it all came from. My Sensei highly recomends weapons training and actually requires them even in the kyu tests. Granted one probably won't use a sword in modern times (Although it would be awesome if we did) but it gives us a basic understanding on how a particular technique works and where it came from. I guess I just love weapons. lol
Old 08-23-2008, 09:58 AM   #53
Stefan Stenudd

Sweden
Re: How does training with the Bokken Help to improve my Aikido?

Quote:
Tadao Koyama wrote: View Post
My Personal opinion on weapons is that they are very important because most if not all Aikido movements are based on weapons techniques.
I have often heard this stated. Still, I am not sure that it is necessarily true that the aikido movements and techniques are based on weapons techniques. But traditionally the aikido movements surely were related to those of the weapons, at least so that armed attacks were also considered.

For example the sword: Some aikido movements seem based on sword movements. Even when that is not the case, it is safe to say that the aikido movements relate to sword attacks, and also to sword against sword relations.

Simply put: Even when the defender was not armed, the attacker was expected to be.

Stefan Stenudd
Old 08-24-2008, 02:48 PM   #54
Tkoyama
Dojo: UCSC Aikido Club
United_States

mmm... Well from what my Sensei have told me, and what they have demonstrated, most Aikido waza are applied back to old forms of budo where both people had a sword, staff or spear. Not saying that we use these weapons anymore but I believe that the foundation of a lot of the waza were from traditional Budo techniques that included weapons.
Old 08-25-2008, 03:44 PM   #55
Andrew S

Dojo: Kenshinkai Dojos
Japan

I found that practicing kumitachi with a 3+ kg octagonal suburito really helped me focus on my centre and taisabaki, since there was no way I could move as fast as my partner armed with a lighter weapon. (The heavier weapon also helps aid technique because you must use your shoulders correctly and not over-extend the elbows... or else!)
Weapons are less forgiving of mistakes than empty-handed techniques and this is one reason training with them aids our progress.

I want a 5 kg suburito for Christmas
Old 08-26-2008, 07:57 AM   #56
Stefan Stenudd

Sweden
Heavy bokken

Quote:
Andrew Smallacombe wrote: View Post
I want a 5 kg suburito for Christmas
The normal bokken is lighter than a katana, which is around one kilo. Going as far as 5 kg, though, introduces the risk of starting to move the bokken in ways that are not very sword-like. It can even happen unawares. The body sort of tricks the mind, in order to spare itself from the heavy burden.
So, if you use a very heavy bokken, check out that you don't change the technique unawares, in order for your body to handle that much weight.

On the other hand, Musashi did fine with an oar...

Stefan Stenudd
Old 09-10-2008, 04:29 PM   #57
Robert Cowham
Dojo: East Sheen Aikido and Kashima No Tachi

I like Diane Skoss's article on weapons:

http://www.koryu.com/library/dskoss4.html

(Plenty of other good articles on that site).

One other thing in addition to the many good points above, I used to find that I could practice on my own with a bokken much more easily than taijutsu - there was so much to work on (and it improved my taijutsu).

These days I have plenty of body work stuff to do as well - why I get strange looks sometimes while hanging around the playground watching my kids
Old 09-23-2008, 10:11 AM   #58
Alexander Lee
Dojo: Winchester Tomiki Aikido Club
United Kingdom

Aikido was drawn from sword movements, a great deal of our postures, grips and techniques come from holding swords. Weapon work improves one's co-ordination, distancing, strength and awareness. Be like water, learn all things; you never know when you might need it (and besides learning weapon work is usually very interesting).