Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Humor

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 10-28-2002, 01:00 AM   #1
MaylandL
'Cos it wasnt any of us...

After training one night one of the students related a story of one of his brother's friend's rather painful and unfortunate accident with a nail gun and his scrotum.

It seems this poor soul accidently nailed his scrotum to his thigh with a nail gun (OWIE!) while nailing wooden planks to a fence posts. How he can actually do that is a complete mystery.

Feeling too embarrashed to go to emergency for professional treatment and being somewhat of a handyman, he decided to go to the bathroom to remove the offending nail with a pair of pliers .

It seems that the religious affirmations to God were clearly heard about a couple of houses away given this person want not known for his piety.

Feeling somewhat relived and confident after removing the nail and still remaining conscious, he was concerned about infection. So he decided to disinfect the wound with a small bottle of hydrogen peroxide. I mean how much more could it hurt now the nail was out....right?

It seems he did a very admirable imitation of the John Wayne bow legged swagger for a few days.

There wasnt a dry eye or uncrossed leg amongst us all after class when the story was related to us...me included.

Happy training all...let's be careful out there

Last edited by MaylandL : 10-28-2002 at 01:11 AM.

Mayland
Old 10-28-2002, 04:21 AM   #2
Ta Kung
So you're saying this story is true?! I kept waiting for the punshline... and there was none. My God!

/Patrik
Old 10-28-2002, 04:25 AM   #3
ChristianBoddum

Dojo: Aarhus AiKiKai
Hi !

Maybe the mystery is not so big,

the safety device (name?) at the tip of the

gun is often removed to make it work faster.

I once worked as a carpenter and coworked with a man who had done a lot of work i USA

and he rarely considered safety issues,as a result he shot a 4" nail throgh his thumb,

pulled it out and just continued with blood

squirting all over the place until I suggested

to do some first aid.

Never be a fool with a tool !!

yours - Chr.B.
Old 10-28-2002, 09:22 AM   #4
Genex

Dojo: Warrington Seishin Kai
Talking

Quote:
Christian Boddum (ChristianBoddum) wrote:
Never be a fool with a tool !!
ROFLMAO!

Sorry but i really had to laugh about this because for me i'm afraid its too late....wife's already pregnant!

anyhoo i have seen some interesting wounds from power tools, one of the best was a friend using a Dremmel (mini drill grinder etc..) he was cutting a model in half to do some conversions and promptly took his nail off his thumb naturaly he dropped everything and screamed he's actualy cut a nice thin strip of his nail out right upto the nuckle(sp?) he was not a happy man although he was dancing alot... what was left went black and fell off so he doesnt have a nail there anymore, although his model did get to the semi final of games day he reckoned he should have got a bronze because of the sheer blood that went into it. seriously it looked like he'd cut up an artery or sommat cause it was dripping out quite fast although it healed well.

I saw one guy in hospital once whilst we were waiting in A+E (accident and emergency for you yanks) and he comes running in with a bag of peas in one hand and his other hand held up wrapped up and caked in blood. i beleive his few bumbled words were "fingers...Bandsaw..." needless to say they saw him pretty quickly.

ahhh power toolz rock...

that reminds me i still havent tried that stillsaw i have at home.

pete

like having your brains smashed out by a slice of lemon wrapped round a large gold brick. - The hitchhikers guide to the galaxy on the Pan-galactic Gargleblaster!
Old 10-28-2002, 12:37 PM   #5
Crunch44
Dojo: Aiki Budo Centre
Not a nail to the scrotum story, but reminded me of a story my mother once told me. Mom is a nurse and on occasion, has had to treat people who've been injured in some strange accidents.

The story that comes to mind is of a man who came into emergency with the tips of his fingers missing on both hands. When the doctor inquired about the nature of the injury, the man explained that while he was mowing his lawn he decided his hedges needed a trim. He figured the best way to get a nice level hedge, was to run the mower across it. So, he reached down and proceeded to pick the lawnmower up by its sides. This method was working for him, until he decided to run the mower along the sides of the hedges, as well. Somehow, as he turned the mower on its side, his fingers came in contact with the moving blades. He was very lucky, as the doctors were able to repair the damage to his fingers.

But wait, it gets better . . .

Not a few hours later, a second man comes into emergency with the tips of the fingers missing on one of his hands. When the doctor asked him about his injury, he explained that he had tried to trim his hedges with his lawnmower. When asked why he had done this, he explained that just a few hours earlier he had seen his neighbour doing it, and it seemed like a good idea.

I think there's a lesson here?
Old 10-28-2002, 12:46 PM   #6
Wormwood

Dojo: Fredericton Aikido Dojo
Quote:
Chris Wilson (Crunch44) wrote:
Yes ... stupidity is sometimes contagious.

Nathan
Old 10-28-2002, 01:38 PM   #7
ChristianBoddum

Dojo: Aarhus AiKiKai
To Genex !

Since it is your wife that is pregnant and not someone elses,

you can't be that much of a fool.

Rock on !

yours - Chr.b.
Old 10-28-2002, 01:55 PM   #8
Liz Baron
Dojo: Bury Aikido Club
United Kingdom
This reminded me of something I'd read a while back...

http://exn.ca/Stories/1998/08/04/51.asp

L

...ouch...

L

Windcheetah 176
"Handbuilt by Daleks..."
Old 10-28-2002, 06:01 PM   #9
Arianah
Dojo: Aikido of Norwalk
Quote:
Christian Boddum (ChristianBoddum) wrote:
I once worked as a carpenter and coworked with a man who had done a lot of work i USA

and he rarely considered safety issues,as a result he shot a 4" nail throgh his thumb,

pulled it out and just continued with blood

squirting all over the place until I suggested

to do some first aid.
I was just thinking about relating the story about my father, when I read this, and thought you had beaten me to it. My father was building a deck, using a nail gun, and the gun fired two nails at the same time, making the gun kick back and shoot a nail though the knuckle in his thumb, nailing him to the deck. Alone, and thus without anyone to help him, he nonchalantly reached for his crowbar (which was luckily within his reach) and pried his thumb off the deck, and the nail out of his thumb... and then kept working! That man... *shaking head*

Sarah

Out of clutter, find simplicity.
From discord, find harmony.
In the middle of difficulty, lies opportunity.
-Albert Einstein
Old 10-29-2002, 03:27 AM   #10
erikmenzel
  AikiWeb Forums Contributing Member

Dojo: Koshinkai Leeuwarden
Netherlands
Quote:
Chris Wilson (Crunch44) wrote:
Yup, and the lesson is:

We need more powertools to let natural selection have a positive effect on human inteligence!!!

Erik Jurrien Menzel
kokoro o makuru taisanmen ni hirake
Personal:www.kuipers-menzel.com
Old 10-29-2002, 04:07 AM   #11
Genex

Dojo: Warrington Seishin Kai
Talking

Hehehe if darwin was alive today he'd think... yes... i do beleive i've got this strongest will servive thing licked all i need is some power tools and a healthy distribution of crack...natural selection here we go.

pete
btw, me and the wife are really happy about the belly bean, i meant i was a fool because i didnt cover my assets and she's just been taken off the pill for medical reasons, hell we're like rabbits anyhoo so it had to happen some time!
otamashimini

Last edited by Genex : 10-29-2002 at 04:09 AM.

like having your brains smashed out by a slice of lemon wrapped round a large gold brick. - The hitchhikers guide to the galaxy on the Pan-galactic Gargleblaster!
Old 10-29-2002, 09:10 AM   #12
stoker
Dojo: Dallas Judo & Jiu Jitsu
I had a neighbor who was trying out an air powered tool a few years ago at a ahrdware store. The store clerk fired up an compressor and demonstrated the tool and let my neighbor try it. Neighbor asked about what happens when you yank on the air hose. "Can't come loose -- positive locking device!" the clerk said. The clerk gave a tug and it popped off. The end of the house powered by the hefty tug and the escaping compressed air scored a direct hit on the family jewels of the store clerk.

"Clean up on isle three!"

dave stokes