Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 09-18-2003, 05:36 PM   #1
Ari Bolden

Dojo: Victoria Jujitsu Academy
Canada
Is it humility or cockiness?

Is it humility or cockiness to go into a dojo and not tell the instructor your background?

Is this a way not to be treated any differently from other "beginners"? Do people do this in order to gauge the class?

This question is for those who have a lot of grappling in their classes (anyone can answer though ;-)

I had a new student come to my class. He told me he had some karate background.

I had him spar at the end of class with another beginner. He didn't look all that "seasoned" but he did manage to get my student into a rear choke.

Then (as I like to do), we sparred. I like to gauge different people as a part of my learning. We started and then I feel him throw on a triangle choke. I actually commented " there's more than meets the eye here."

I underestimated my uke (oppentent). My idleness got me into a nice armbar by him.

It was a lesson in humility for me.

He was playing possum and I found out a couple days later that he teaches grappling in another dojo.

Any ideas or comments?

Lesson learned...
Ari

Old 09-18-2003, 05:46 PM   #2
BKimpel
It isn't cockiness, or he would have openly challenged you and then whooped your butt.

They are simply testing themselves and their abilities WITHOUT causing you any unnecessary embarrassment (or themselves for that matter if they got whooped). He wanted to put his money where his mouth was without making some spectacle event out of it (which always ends making people feel threatened, and people get nasty too quickly when threatened).

What's the harm? You learned a little (not to underestimate uke), and he learned a little.

Now if it went any further than that (i.e. he suddenly proclaims that your dojo is wimpy cause he bested you guys…that's another issue

Bruce

Bruce Kimpel
Old 09-18-2003, 08:05 PM   #3
sanosuke
Dojo: Seigi Dojo
Indonesia
"They are simply testing themselves and their abilities WITHOUT causing you any unnecessary embarrassment (or themselves for that matter if they got whooped). He wanted to put his money where his mouth was without making some spectacle event out of it (which always ends making people feel threatened, and people get nasty too quickly when threatened)."

that's the positive one, but some peole do this because they want to prove that their school is best among others, that he had beaten sensei 'A' of this art, arm-barred sensei 'B' of this art and so on. I'm not really against this because if you do with honest intention this will create stronger friendship among each martial art.
Quote:
Now if it went any further than that (i.e. he suddenly proclaims that your dojo is wimpy cause he bested you guys…that's another issue
that's the problem with these so called 'dojo buster', they are nice at the beginning but turned to be an asshole in the end. If it happen then it's not humility anymore but more to cockiness i guess, this 'testing' attitude is a double edged sword to me.
Old 09-19-2003, 03:16 PM   #4
Uke4life
I have switched to a couple of different dojos yet, I always tell them a little of what I have done, yet always request to be started from the beginning like a beginner. I have the mentality that everyone teaches different and for me to walk and act like I know what I am doing I think is cockiness. I hope it doesn't sound like I am trying to be arrogant, b/c in all truth I do it with all best intentions in mind. Train Safe!!!

It is not the destination, but the journey.
Old 09-19-2003, 04:35 PM   #5
Clayton Drescher

Dojo: Beach Cities Aikido
United_States
I've been shopping dojos lately and I've always been *asked* by sensei or senior students if I've had any martial arts experience. So not telling really hasn't been an issue I've come across. And I mean *every* dojo, where I'm from and have I done aikido or anything else before.

Best,

Clayton
Old 09-19-2003, 04:38 PM   #6
Ari Bolden

Dojo: Victoria Jujitsu Academy
Canada
Cheers! Great feedback....

respectfully,

Ari B.