Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 10-11-2006, 06:06 AM   #26
SeiserL

United_States
Re: student has doubts

Quote:
Sean Britton wrote:
So is there anyway to discourage an attacker without having to use force? (i really don't want to hurt anyone)
IMHO, depends the person.
To know others is good.
To know yourself, better.
To know both, best.

Many people are "dis-couraged" for different reasons and motivation. For some a simple apology will do nicely. For others with more fragile egos, they must be able to save face. For still others with very fragile egos, it is only taking them to the ground that will "dis-courage" them.

Lynn Seiser PhD
Yondan Aikido & FMA/JKD
We do not rise to the level of our expectations, but fall to the level of our training. Train well. KWATZ!
Old 10-11-2006, 06:58 AM   #27
Steve Mullen
Dojo: White Rose (Sunderland)
England

I had a similar thing to this on my way to catch a bus after training, this guy (whom i had never met before, or since as far as i know) was walknig down the street with his friends, he actually crossed the road to "get in my face" doing that thing where they hit chests with you. I let him do it twice, hoping he would get bored, but when he came in the thrid time i pushed on the shoulder that was trailing behind the other, this spun him round allowing me to push him away.

He came straight back again. The only thing in my mind was how to stop it without having to land a punch as that would have meant his mates joining in and then its 3 on 1 and a lot messier for everyone. So in came his punch, i blocked and pushed him away (again) with what could be a sumiotoshi-ish movement, he came in with another punch with the same hand, so i deflected this and pushed at his face (trying to signal that i could hit him if i needed to) anyway, this seemed to have the intended effect as his mates dragged him away and appolgised to me.

I think even signalling that you can inflict damage can work SOMETIMES i have no doubt that had his friends been "up for it" then the outcome would have been much more vigirous. From the sounds of things you read the situation very well.

"No matter your pretence, you are what you are and nothing more." - Kenshiro Abbe Shihan
Old 10-11-2006, 07:42 PM   #28
Sean Britton
Dojo: Abundant Peace Aikido
Canada

Quote:
Paul Nowicki wrote:
Sean, how long have you been training at sensei Brad Schultz dojo?
i have been training under him since april 2005. so little over a year.

Last edited by Sean Britton : 10-11-2006 at 07:44 PM.
Old 10-13-2006, 05:49 PM   #29
Roman Kremianski
Dojo: Toronto Aikikai
Canada

Sean: You avoided 3 punches in a row with tenkan? That's badass.

I'm also a highschool student, so I can definatly say there's a good share of strange kids out there who'd hit you just for "looking at them funny".

I would totally agree with Bronson Diffin. I'd rather fight an enraged lunatic then a calm and trained fighter.

Last edited by Roman Kremianski : 10-13-2006 at 05:51 PM.
Old 10-13-2006, 10:07 PM   #30
Sean Britton
Canada

Quote:
Roman Kremianski wrote:
Sean: You avoided 3 punches in a row with tenkan? That's badass.
i wish i could take all the credit for that, but he helped me out a lot
it seems everyone wants to knock someone out with one big strong punch, and those are the easiest to avoid because you can see it coming for a mile away
Old 10-14-2006, 02:06 AM   #31
Aran Bright
Dojo: Griffith Aikido Yuishinkai
Australia

RESPECT!!!

Nice work, but it does look like the issue hasn't been settled yet. How's it going? Have you seen the guy again?

If not he may still be pissed and particularly in high school with testosterone and imaginations he may be planning his revenge??? Probably not, but the point I wan't to make is that an honest up front show of respect to him (again in a safe neutral environment) might help. ie. "damn i'm glad you didn't hit me you would have knocked me into next week!"
ok, maybe thats a bit over the top but I feel that although the physical confrontation is over the psychological issue may not be as you did split for the bus and you may see him again soon.

I guess in Aikido we want to restore harmony and if this guy is feeling like he was made a fool of he may have a score to settle. If you can settle that (without breaking an arm) then I think, case closed.

http://brisbaneaikido.com

Brisbane Aikido Republic
Brisbane
Australia
Old 10-14-2006, 09:17 PM   #32
alex padilla
Dojo: Manila Aikido Club, Philippines
Philippines

Sean,

Nice move!
You can not dissuade him to fight.
He deserves that, and probably more.

Keep on practicing.
Old 10-15-2006, 12:18 PM   #33
jason jordan

Dojo: Dallas Aikikai/ Southlake Aikikai
United_States

Quote:
Steve Mullen wrote:
I
I think even signalling that you can inflict damage can work SOMETIMES i have no doubt that had his friends been "up for it" then the outcome would have been much more vigirous. From the sounds of things you read the situation very well.
Well first I think you handled the situation nicely!
I agree with what Steve said about signalling that you can inflict damage can work.

I enjoy the fact that rather than hitting with a fist, you can hit uke "with the earth". (although I am not against good Atemi).

But since you had the guy in ikkyo already, had you taken him down with some "umph" and help him to make aquaitance with the tatami...(ground) and just held him there fully aware of your surroundigns of course, with a text book finish, that might have also helped.

It is a dis-couraging feeling to be held in a strong ikkyo finish and not be able to move because someone has your arm pinned to the ground and you can't do anything about it.

And I think that ultimately how you handled the situation will possibly lead him to the lightside of the force.!!!

Good show!!!
Old 10-15-2006, 07:06 PM   #34
Simbo
United_States

Sean, I know what you're saying in trying to avoid a fight, and about it seeming like you were taunting/teasing him by tenkan'ing away, but (and excuse me if I missed someone saying this previously) what would've happened if you hadn't tenkan'ed and he'd hit you? Would he have stopped with the one? Glad nobody got hurt, and despite your best efforts he still engaged and you handled yourself well, IMO. Kudos

You'd be surprised at how much aikido philosophy you can pick up on at the end of the party when there's just a couple drunk sempai and you.
Old 10-16-2006, 09:31 PM   #35
Sean Britton
Canada

a nice thing happened today. After school when the bus came i bumped into him again trying to get on the bus. i was expecting him to get angry (again), but to my suprise he just smiled and let me on the bus first....i guess choosing not to break his arm from ikkyo payed off, even if it was a good week or 2 later
Old 10-16-2006, 10:38 PM   #36
Guilty Spark

United_States

Blessed is the mine too small for doubt

Sean I think you'll find that with a lot of people. Once they know where they stand with you they stop posturing.

If you're hungry, keep moving.
If you're tired, keep moving.
If you value you're life, keep moving.

You don't own what you can't defend
Old 10-21-2006, 09:57 PM   #37
Eric_Aiki

This has to be the best thread I have read on aikiweb in a long long time.

Not only do you use your aikido to protect yourself, you followed rule number two - and protected the attacker. Ikkyo'd into submission until he calmed down. Wow.

And, youre further worried about saving him some face by looking serious while you were doing it? Thats fantastic. I only wish I had your presence of mind at that age, and that more young people had such compassion.

Everyone takes something different from thier MA studies, but to me this is the true spirit of aikido right here. Excellently done. On a board where most of the threads are concerned with who's flavor of Aikido is better, or who's sensei is better - reading this story was a real treat. Thank you for sharing. I hope never ever to have to use any martial technique I learn - thats not why I am learning them - but if I ever do I hope to have the same mental clarity.

And you never know - he may have let you on the bus first because he thinks youre superior to him - or he might respect you for never throwing a punch back when you clearly could have. A maturity most of the planet could learn from. Well done Sean! All you Aikidoka whining about whos school/sensei/style is better, take notes. I wouldt be surprised if he starts talking to you at some point and apologizes.
Old 10-23-2006, 02:03 PM   #38
Ron Tisdale
Dojo: Doshinkan dojo in Roxborough, Pa
United_States

Quote:
On a board where most of the threads are concerned with who's flavor of Aikido is better, or who's sensei is better -
Not to drag down a good thread (congrats to the original poster), but I'm surprised someone would say this. While there are always one or maybe two threads where this type of thing happens, I would not characterize that as "most" by any means. If anything, one of the reasons I come here is that it is quite possible to have an interesting discussion with people from other styles without the pissing match that would often involve elsewhere. Just my opinion...

Say Jun...is there a poll on this?

Best,
Ron

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
"The higher a monkey climbs, the more you see of his behind."
St. Bonaventure (ca. 1221-1274)
Old 10-24-2006, 12:38 PM   #39
Eric_Aiki

Ron-

Good point. Perhaps a bunch of those posts have been near the top the past week or so. I get depressed over the infighting, I just dont understand it honestly. Were all here because we enjoy training, why care whos sensei does, or did, whatever?

But I like the site. I meant no foul by the forums, I was just in a bit of a mood reading the other posts. There does seem to be the endless "my martial art is better than yours" thing going on, but thats everywhere. Its less here than most - I just dont get the mentality at all. Then again - I dont train to use the art, I train to grow.

Sorry for the negativity! Sean rocked it, and his heart was in the right place - that way way cool.

Eric
Old 10-24-2006, 12:56 PM   #40
Douglas Fajardo
Dojo: budo aiki dojo aikikai
Cuba

good job my friend , remember, Aikido is love,Aikido is the way of nature, So no one can break this balance.If they do,they should know who´s in contorl, you don´t have to hurt anyone, As you can see you contorl him wihtout hurt him , he always knew that your control was superior that why he was so angry because he couldnt break your face,dont worry experience is what you need, once you have it,you dont have to fight cause you will see the problem before it get closer

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!