Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Introductions

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 04-24-2008, 12:44 PM   #26
Kevin Leavitt

Dojo: Team Combat USA
United_States
Re: Mixed up in MMA

You tend to get real religious when your opponent has you in the mount with 4lb gloves on. "Oh God!"...comes to mind.

pre-destination and free will is always a fascinating discussion. I really grew a distain for Calvinism and have trouble with it....but, the more you think about it, free will has many issues as well.

Free will can imply that we are separate from the whole and freely make our own choices in isolation or without regard for anything else.

It can ignore the fact that we are products of our environment, we face delusion through our own perception of the world, and that we in no way depend on others, the air we breath, the food we eat, or the force that created us and to that which we will return.

interesting...not sure what it has to do with the original topic here, but a good discussion for sure.

Old 04-24-2008, 01:14 PM   #27
David Paul
United_States

Quote:
Kevin Leavitt wrote: View Post
You tend to get real religious when your opponent has you in the mount with 4lb gloves on. "Oh God!"...comes to mind.
Very good point. AMEN!
Old 04-24-2008, 02:01 PM   #28
Erick Mead

Dojo: Big Green Drum (W. Florida Aikikai)
United_States

Quote:
Ah .. It is is a Hungarian church, I think -- The Chapel of Our Lady of Uurhed-handedtuya.

Quote:
pre-destination and free will is always a fascinating discussion. I really grew a distain for Calvinism and have trouble with it....but, the more you think about it, free will has many issues as well.

Free will can imply that we are separate from the whole and freely make our own choices in isolation or without regard for anything else.
If nothing else, training in budo teaches at a deep level and in very immediate terms, that free will is exercised only in the context of many, many things that are already predetermined at the time of engagement or were never ours to determine at all.

Cordially,

Erick Mead
一隻狗可久里馬房但他也不是馬的.
Old 04-24-2008, 02:03 PM   #29
phitruong
Dojo: Charlotte Aikikai Agatsu Dojo
United_States

Quote:
I don't get religious in those sort of situations. It's more like "Oh S****t! black and blue aren't my colors"

all these religious discussions went right over my head. I feel so ignorance, maybe because I am a barbarian farm boy. I think I'll just go back to aikido and get my head pound into the mat more so things can sip into the crack (head crack, not the other crack).

To the OP, sounded like your cup is full.
Old 04-24-2008, 03:41 PM   #30
Kevin Leavitt

United_States

Funny you should mention Hungary...I am all over Eastern Europe this week...right now in Bulgaria!

Old 04-24-2008, 08:02 PM   #31
Chris Parkerson
Dojo: Academy of the Martial Arts
United_States

Quote:
You tend to get real religious when your opponent has you in the mount with 4lb gloves on. "Oh God!"...comes to mind. pre-destination and free will is always a fascinating discussion.
I love to go to movies. They are a great study in cultural symbols and metaphors. In "The Last Samurai" right before the final suicide charge, Dai Saigo asks his fictional partner (Tom Cruise), "Can a man change his destiny?" Cruise says, "A man must do what he can."

I guess we all think about it, no matter what culture or religious preference, right before you may have your head handedtoya.
Old 04-25-2008, 05:14 AM   #32
Michael Douglas
United Kingdom

Quote:
You tend to get real religious when your opponent has you in the mount with 4lb gloves on. "Oh God!"...comes to mind..
Shrek comes to mind ... 4lb?
I'm sure you meant 4oz.
Old 04-28-2008, 12:14 PM   #33
frankdraper
United_States

WOW, I would have never thought to get so much response. I could learn a ton of information here. Thanks to all who responded,and I am glad that there are others who have and are traveling down this road, questioning things,and addressing the questions properly. While I missed temple worship yesterday with fellow devotees, I did get to see an Aikido demo in Oak Harbor, Wa. I attended the Holland Happenings on Sunday. Great demo. There was also a tent set up(street fair) with a TKD school. When I mentioned to them that there was a demo at the main stage, I got no response, just a hum from a kid. The adults seemed very uninterested, one saying to the other that they paid good money to have there TKD tent at this venue, at they were under the impression that other Martial Arts could not be there. I knew I should have but on my tilak Dhoties and brought my drum to chant Hare Krishna near the Catholic booth. Cant we all just learn and love. Ending here I will Quote, We can no longer rely on the external teachings of the Buddha,Confucius or Christ. The ere of organized religion controlling every aspecgt of life is over. No singely religion has all the answers. Construction of shrine and temple buildings is not enough. Establish yourself as a living buddha image. We all should be transformed into goddesses of compassio or victorious buddhas.

Morihei Ueshiba THE ART OF PEACE
Old 04-28-2008, 12:21 PM   #34
Chris Parkerson
United_States

Quote:
Frank Draper wrote: View Post
WOW, I would have never thought to get so much response. I could learn a ton of information here. Thanks to all who responded,and I am glad that there are others who have and are traveling down this road, questioning things,and addressing the questions properly. While I missed temple worship yesterday with fellow devotees, I did get to see an Aikido demo in Oak Harbor, Wa. I attended the Holland Happenings on Sunday. Great demo. There was also a tent set up(street fair) with a TKD school. When I mentioned to them that there was a demo at the main stage, I got no response, just a hum from a kid. The adults seemed very uninterested, one saying to the other that they paid good money to have there TKD tent at this venue, at they were under the impression that other Martial Arts could not be there. I knew I should have but on my tilak Dhoties and brought my drum to chant Hare Krishna near the Catholic booth. Cant we all just learn and love. Ending here I will Quote, We can no longer rely on the external teachings of the Buddha,Confucius or Christ. The ere of organized religion controlling every aspecgt of life is over. No singely religion has all the answers. Construction of shrine and temple buildings is not enough. Establish yourself as a living buddha image. We all should be transformed into goddesses of compassio or victorious buddhas.

Morihei Ueshiba THE ART OF PEACE
Hare Bol Frank,

I too see the potential of an end to organized church, synagogue,mosque traditions.... especially if we go nulcear in the names of these organizations.

As saint tharesa of Avilla once said, "Oh Lord, protect me from your followers.."
Old 04-28-2008, 01:14 PM   #35
frankdraper
United_States

Hare Bol to you sir. Glad to have met you through this site. While the name Aikido forum seems to all over the place. I would like to hear more of your days as a Devotee of Krishna, and your experience of that if you don't mind. I am sending my email as another way to contact me. frank-n-style@hotmail.com. I am also a hairstylist, my wife and i work in the same shop with 15 others. Dont get to cut many Krishna Devotees, only at the big events such as Lord Krishna's appearance day and so on. Thursday I am going to check out an Aikido school in Bellingham Wa.
Old 04-28-2008, 01:55 PM   #36
Chris Parkerson
United_States

Quote:
Frank Draper wrote: View Post
Hare Bol to you sir. Glad to have met you through this site. While the name Aikido forum seems to all over the place. I would like to hear more of your days as a Devotee of Krishna, and your experience of that if you don't mind. I am sending my email as another way to contact me. frank-n-style@hotmail.com. I am also a hairstylist, my wife and i work in the same shop with 15 others. Dont get to cut many Krishna Devotees, only at the big events such as Lord Krishna's appearance day and so on. Thursday I am going to check out an Aikido school in Bellingham Wa.
happy to talk off line.

Chris
Old 06-24-2008, 02:37 PM   #37
eventus

"You tend to get real religious when your opponent has you in the mount with 4lb gloves on. "Oh God!"...comes to mind.."

I respectfully object to your sarcasm. MMA is a discipline. Its practitioners devote themselves to the practice of MMA that the discipline becomes not just an act of physical aggression exacted on another human being.... rather, it becomes a crucible through which their hearts, minds, and souls are put to the ultimate test: the test of will, the test of ..... faith.

You should read this if you doubt the place of religion in MMA:
http://www.nationalgeographic.com/ad...ight-club.html

Don't judge what you don't understand.... lest someone who doesn't understand Aikido pass bitter, sarcastic judgments about your art.
Old 06-24-2008, 04:53 PM   #38
Kevin Leavitt

United_States

John,

I am a MMA practitioner. Purple Belt in BJJ under Carlos Gracie Jr., Modern Army Combatives Instructor, as well as a Shodan in Aikido...that is just my martial arts background, does not cover my military background and experience.

I understand the whole "forging" and "crucible" thing, it is what I do for my profession.

Old 06-25-2008, 12:47 AM   #39
eventus

Kevin,

I apologize to you and everyone else whom I assumed were talking out of their asses when referring to MMA. It's hard, it's a real spirit-breaker, and I hate it when people dismiss it or adapt that superior dismissive position against it, which you weren't.

It was my bad to assume. And that reflects back on me.
Old 06-25-2008, 03:47 AM   #40
Kevin Leavitt

United_States

No problem....I understand where you are coming from. Have a nice day!

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!