Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 11-14-2010, 03:43 AM   #1
niall
  AikiWeb Forums Contributing Member

Japan
Question aikido is...

I talked about the English naming of aikido in a blog post http://www.aikiweb.com/blogs/moon-in...f-aikido-4049/. Finally I went with aikido is the way of truth. Maybe that's too heavy or too far from the physical martial art - so what is it for you?

Recently a Japanese budo teacher gave me his English copy of Budo - Techniques of the Founder, translated by John Stevens and published by Kodansha. I already have it so I will send my copy to the person who gives the best answer. It can be short or long, serious or not, definition or impression or memory or story - anything. If you don't actually do aikido 'Budo is...' is OK too.

we can make our minds so like still water, and so live for a moment with a clearer, perhaps even with a fiercer life
w b yeats

aikiweb blog|wordpress blog
Old 11-14-2010, 04:15 AM   #2
Abasan
Dojo: Aiki Shoshinkan, Aiki Kenkyukai
Malaysia
Re: aikido is...

Aikido I believe is one of many paths to the 'truth'. In fact anything worth learning is a path to the truth, be it mathematics, sciences, martial arts or even poetry.

Personally for me, Aikido is way to train my mind, heart and body. Especially the heart because, whilst the body can make the techniques work in certain conditions, the mind makes it even better and easier to perform, it is the heart that ultimately elevates the practice of Aikido beyond the physical wrestling of control and power.

In the end, out of the thousands of reasons to train, the heart of Aiki decides whether we will ultimately achieve the result.

Draw strength from stillness. Learn to act without acting. And never underestimate a samurai cat.
Old 11-14-2010, 04:42 AM   #3
Mark Uttech
Dojo: Yoshin-ji Aikido of Marshall

Onegaishimasu, Aikido is ageless harmony.

In gassho,

Mark

- Right combination works wonders -
Old 11-14-2010, 04:49 AM   #4
Mark Freeman
Dojo: Dartington
United Kingdom

For me, Aikido is 'effortless struggle'

regards

Mark

Success is having what you want. Happiness is wanting what you have.
Old 11-14-2010, 05:33 AM   #5
SeiserL

United_States

A tool and opportunity.
Nothing more.
What I make of it is up to me.

Lynn Seiser PhD
Yondan Aikido & FMA/JKD
We do not rise to the level of our expectations, but fall to the level of our training. Train well. KWATZ!
Old 11-14-2010, 06:19 AM   #6
dps

Aikido is bujutsu, ( physical practice of an art or science of war), for self defense. It can be used as one tool in a toolbox of other martial arts.

It can be used in a larger context of budo ( culturally, a Japanese way of life for warriors).

It can be part of a way of living that helps to understand the relationship between ethics, religion, and philosophy.

Batteries not included.

dps

Last edited by dps : 11-14-2010 at 06:23 AM.
Old 11-14-2010, 06:46 AM   #7
guest1234567
Spain

I already put kind of an answer to this in "Real aikido is not just for the dojo" Maybe I can add something.
With aikido I'm not just training my body, but also my mind: I must concentrate, and my heart connecting with uke. I always thought you must treat uke as your best friend he lends you his body to train, if there is no uke you cannot train, if you treat him bad he likely will hide from you when you are looking for someone to train.
Aikido changed my whole life. At work, before aikido I got stressed when I saw how it accumulates and I could not finish because of so much phone calls that prevent my concentration, now I go calm step by step knowing that I always will have enough time to finish everything. In my house beeing relaxed delegating on my children more responsibility, it is also good for them, nobody will do their work when they'll have their own home. I became stronger not only in the physically aspect but in my character, more confident in myself to deal with everything.
In my naiveté I thought all aikidokas got the same of Aikido, but meanwhile I unfortunately knew many aikidokas who were lets say not that good as a human beeing, their aikido does not come from their heart, if they progress adequately? only they will know.
Finally I like to share this, Niall I know you like to compare with music, http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...040401721.html
one of the greatest violinist in the world playing incognito outside a metro station and only a few people stopped to enjoy the beautiful sound. Like Aikido you must also listen to the music with your heart, if people in their hurry would have done it, they would have enjoy one great moment. So listen and do Aikido with your heart, searching the truth and beeing sincere and honest.
Old 11-14-2010, 10:26 AM   #8
Demetrio Cereijo
Spain

Aikido is... whatever you want it to be.
Old 11-14-2010, 11:30 AM   #9
Gorgeous George
United Kingdom

...the way to join the individual will with the universal will.

In other words: the way of the universe.
Old 11-14-2010, 11:45 AM   #10
Aikibu
Dojo: West Wind Dojo Santa Monica California
United_States

FUN!!!

William Hazen
Old 11-14-2010, 11:54 AM   #11
Demetrio Cereijo
Spain

Quote:
Graham Jenkins wrote: View Post
...the way to join the individual will with the universal will.

In other words: the way of the universe.
Does this (individual will joined to universal will) implies a form of determinism?
Old 11-14-2010, 12:20 PM   #12
Flintstone
Dojo: Wherever I happen to be
Spain

Quote:
Demetrio Cereijo wrote: View Post
Does this (individual will joined to universal will) implies a form of determinism?
Nihilism, I would say.
Old 11-14-2010, 12:41 PM   #13
Keith Larman
Dojo: AIA, Los Angeles, CA
United_States

Aikido is an art so nebulously defined that it has become the equivalent of a Rorschach test for the belief system of the person studying the art.

Old 11-14-2010, 01:37 PM   #14
Flintstone
Spain

Wow, Keith. Just wow. I mean, I agree 100%, but yet there's people insisting in that Aikido is their own interpretation of their Rorschach test.
Old 11-14-2010, 02:47 PM   #15
Ketsan
Dojo: Zanshin Kai
United Kingdom

*draws a large circle* Whatever that is to you.

OR

What the guys at Aikikai hombu say it is. Which probably means most of us aren't studying Aikido and so the question becomes pointless.

Last edited by Ketsan : 11-14-2010 at 02:49 PM.
Old 11-14-2010, 02:48 PM   #16
Ketsan
Dojo: Zanshin Kai
United Kingdom

Quote:
Keith Larman wrote: View Post
Aikido is an art so nebulously defined that it has become the equivalent of a Rorschach test for the belief system of the person studying the art.
Old 11-14-2010, 04:42 PM   #17
lbb
United_States

Aikido is the elephant that the blind people are trying to describe.
Old 11-14-2010, 06:16 PM   #18
graham christian
Dojo: golden center aikido-highgate
England
Smile Re: aikido is...

Quote:
Niall Matthews wrote: View Post
I talked about the English naming of aikido in a blog post http://www.aikiweb.com/blogs/moon-in...f-aikido-4049/. Finally I went with aikido is the way of truth. Maybe that's too heavy or too far from the physical martial art - so what is it for you?

Recently a Japanese budo teacher gave me his English copy of Budo - Techniques of the Founder, translated by John Stevens and published by Kodansha. I already have it so I will send my copy to the person who gives the best answer. It can be short or long, serious or not, definition or impression or memory or story - anything. If you don't actually do aikido 'Budo is...' is OK too.
For me Aikido is the way to true self. We are all spirit with a mind and a body and it is only due to our lack of awareness that we sink into believing we are a body with a mind and a spirit.

Harmony is of the spirit. Ki is of the spirit. The way is to practice these principles of the true self in order to realign and rehabillitate and restore your true self.

Believe only in physical and you become just a body.

Believe only in mind and you become a robot, a database, a clever but not intelligent identity.

Take responsibility for spirit and you at last are beginning to take responsibility for yourself and how to get yourself your mind and your body co-ordinated.

Aikido helps in this journey.

Such is my faith. G.
Old 11-14-2010, 06:23 PM   #19
Gorgeous George
United Kingdom

Quote:
Possibly...you'll have to explain your question a little, though, before I can know exactly what you mean, and answer accordingly.
Old 11-15-2010, 01:09 AM   #20
Flintstone
Spain

Quote:
Alex Lawrence wrote: View Post
What the guys at Aikikai hombu say it is.
Why so?
Old 11-15-2010, 07:33 AM   #21
Demetrio Cereijo
Spain

Quote:
Graham Jenkins wrote: View Post
Possibly...you'll have to explain your question a little, though, before I can know exactly what you mean, and answer accordingly.
If the individidual will has joined the universal will, then the individual has lost his own free will.

Is losing your free will what is aikido about in your definition?
Old 11-15-2010, 07:54 AM   #22
Andrew Macdonald

aikido is
Old 11-15-2010, 09:58 AM   #23
mathewjgano

Dojo: Tsubaki Kannagara Jinja Aikidojo; Himeji Shodokan Dojo
United_States

Quote:
If the individidual will has joined the universal will, then the individual has lost his own free will.

Is losing your free will what is aikido about in your definition?
I don't think joining with universal will means completely losing individual free will...at least not a whole lot more so than joining anything else that has an effect on behavior. Do cops lose free will when they join the will of law? Did Yoda lose free will in becoming one with the force? If I do something for/with you, have I lost free will?
My will might be affected/changed, but not lost. Perhaps Aikido is learning how to be a part of something bigger than you without losing yourself to it: in joining with Great Nature (universal will?) we consciously move with it instead of unconciously being moved by it. In this sense I see it as increasing the freedom of my will.

Last edited by mathewjgano : 11-15-2010 at 10:07 AM.

Gambarimashyo!
Old 11-15-2010, 11:07 AM   #24
Flintstone
Spain

Quote:
Matthew Gano wrote: View Post
I don't think joining with universal will means completely losing individual free will...at least not a whole lot more so than joining anything else that has an effect on behavior. Do cops lose free will when they join the will of law? Did Yoda lose free will in becoming one with the force? If I do something for/with you, have I lost free will?
My will might be affected/changed, but not lost. Perhaps Aikido is learning how to be a part of something bigger than you without losing yourself to it: in joining with Great Nature (universal will?) we consciously move with it instead of unconciously being moved by it. In this sense I see it as increasing the freedom of my will.
Can you obtain that through painting, dancing or playing music? If the answer is yes, does it still keep defining what Aikido is?
Old 11-15-2010, 11:24 AM   #25
Demetrio Cereijo
Spain

Matthew,

Then you consider things like the Law, the Force, the Great Nature or the Universe (human mind constructs) having will.

Is the will of these constructs free? If is not and we join our individual free will (of course assumming we have it) to their's, how that can be seen as an increase or our free will?