Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 07-21-2002, 08:35 AM   #26
ChristianBoddum

Dojo: Aarhus AiKiKai
Hi Alex and ev'rybody !

I believe that it's natural to wonder like Alex,I also believe that this kind of thinking

blocks your wellearned skills by maybe 75 %,

it's the little brain (right word ?)that initiate physical moves,the bigger brain has to OK them,and from there on thing happen very quickly,so,to have things filling up your

head when you need to move is ultimately deadly.

Don't think so much - with your head,

think actively with your body, isn't that how you train also ?

Yours - Chr.B.
Old 07-21-2002, 12:32 PM   #27
L. Camejo

Dojo: Ontario Martial Arts
Canada
Quote:
Christian Boddum (ChristianBoddum) wrote:
.....this kind of thinking

blocks your wellearned skills by maybe 75 %,

.......to have things filling up your

head when you need to move is ultimately deadly.

Don't think so much - with your head,

think actively with your body, isn't that how you train also ?

Yours - Chr.B.
This is so true.

BTW, the story about my prison guard student was- 2 prison guards were moving an inmate who had previously been beating up anyone put in his cell with him. He did the same to a very small new inmate who had to be taken to the infirmary.

While moving him to another cell, who would they come across but the same new guy coming back from the sick bay. There was a guard with him also.

Without warning, the big guy broke free of the grip of his 2 guards (one of which was my student) and made a tackle for the new guy and his guard. As he rained blows at random on the other inmate, it appeared that he had a small jabbing device in his hand, made from a broken belt buckle or something. This weapon gouged a cut on the temple of the other guard who went down bleeding. The attacking inmate was about 6'2- near 300 lbs from what I heard.

One of his own guards came in behind the guy and hit him across the back with his baton. Apparently it didn't do much cuz the guy backed into him real hard and the impact with the wall winded the guard for a few seconds.

With that the guy began to run towards the third guard, the aikido student. He tried to tackle him with his arms extended, but the guard stepped back with his oncoming force, pulled downward and applied what we call hiki taoshi (may be an ikkyo variant in aikikai, not sure). There was no room to turn and blend so the guard took him down flat on his face and pinned him to the floor with ude gaeshi and put his knee into the shoulder blade to get leverage. Of course at this point the rain of baton blows came down as the other guard caught up with him and they took him away. The guard who got cut and the new inmate both needed to be taken to the hospital.

Hope this feeds the desire of those story jukies Funny thing was that the guard is one of our students who is constantly complaining about knee and ankle injuries and tends to be reluctant to do techs that involve deep knee movement. I guess being threatened he had no time to think about what would hurt afterward This adds to Christian's post above I think.

He also found that the inmate's attack was similar to what we do in tanto randori every other night. The extended arm I guess

My $9.99

L.C.

--Mushin Mugamae - No Mind No Posture. He who is possessed by nothing possesses everything.--
http://www.tntaikido.org
http://www.mushinkan.ca
Old 07-23-2002, 06:24 PM   #28
sanskara

United_States
Re: right is might

Quote:
Mike Lee (mike lee) wrote:
I never failed in a confrontation in which I was in the right and not behaving self-rightously. Maybe the aikido gods were looking out for me or maybe I was just lucky.

Regardless, I believe that having faith in yourself, plus training hard and having faith in that training, is important and can make a difference at crunch time.
If you get into enough fights you will lose sometimes; it doesn't matter if you're in the right or not behaving self-righteously. The only direct relationship between you and the outcome of the fight is your choice of opponent (assuming you have one.)

Faith, while often deemed a positive quality, can easily become a detriment if it's in yourself. Commonly called over-confidence, this has sent many people to an early grave.

So ability notwithstanding, if you've never experienced defeat, consider yourself lucky--nothing more. Everytime I've ever faced single opponents who were unarmed, they were always bigger and stronger than me (which is why they chose me to fight, and not someone else.)

Under those conditions, sometimes you win, sometimes you lose--no matter how good you are. I've never been seriously injured, but I've also never been in a prison fight. All the rules change when someone who is experienced in using violence as a tool to get their way aims to kill you--training, goodwill, personal confidence, and anything else will not guarantee victory, nor will you be guaranteed defeat either.

Regards,
James Bostwick
Old 07-24-2002, 02:00 PM   #29
wanderingwriath
Hello all,

Perhaps I am just a foolish boy, but it seems to me that the problem at hand isn't a problem if you train right. You see, in my ever so humble opinion, to get the fullest of spiritual harmony from our training it must be the fullest training. To my way of thinking we must train to ourselves NOT to ignore dangers such as those in question.

Consider this, how many stories of the training with O-sensei do we hear of that aren't very rigorous. One of my biggest gripes with modern American Aikido is the tendency for the training to be lack luster. What of O-sensei's training in the mountains with a live sword and his high ranking uchi-deshi. There are times when one should be terrified while training. This is not my ego talking (at least I don't think so).

If we learn to deal with terror, adrenaline, and can still function in an Aiki manner under those circumstances, I'd say that sounds like the perfect way to live in prison. Don't get me wrong crew: I'm not condoning foolhardy training, just realistic training. Done well I daresay there is no better way to learn the true depths of Aikido's love.