Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 07-16-2002, 03:46 PM   #1
Chris Li

Dojo: Aikido Sangenkai
United_States
Manten

If anybody's interested, the next NHK "asadora" ("morning drama") involves a young girl who wants to be an astronaut/meteorologist and lives in an Aikido dojo in Osaka.

The series is one of those 6 month continuous drama series shown in 15 minute segments in the morning on NHK general. They're filming now, and the series is scheduled to begin on September 30th. ("Manten" is the name of the drama )

Best,

Chris

Old 07-16-2002, 04:06 PM   #2
akiy

Hi Chris,

I'm guessing that this page (in Japanese) here is of the program?

http://www.nhk.or.jp/kagoshima/program/manten.htm

It looks like the aikido dojo will be headed by a woman (character name: Yuriko Hanayama). Interesting the series will be held in Osaka. I immediately wondered when I read your description of the TV show if the lead of this series would be played by the daughter of one prominent American instructor who was once married to a Japanese aikido instructor in Osaka.

(Not that I can get NHK here, but...)

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!
Old 07-16-2002, 04:38 PM   #3
Chris Li

United_States
Quote:
akiy wrote:
Hi Chris,

I'm guessing that this page (in Japanese) here is of the program?

http://www.nhk.or.jp/kagoshima/program/manten.htm
That's the one!

Quote:
akiy wrote:
It looks like the aikido dojo will be headed by a woman (character name: Yuriko Hanayama). Interesting the series will be held in Osaka. I immediately wondered when I read your description of the TV show if the lead of this series would be played by the daughter of one prominent American instructor who was once married to a Japanese aikido instructor in Osaka.

(Not that I can get NHK here, but...)

-- Jun
No such luck . These NHK things can get pretty sappy, but they're surprisingly addictive - my wife and daughter are both hooked on Sakura (which is on right now).

Hawaii, and some parts of the US, get Japanese TV over cable (or satellite), but it depends where you are.

Best,

Chris

Old 07-16-2002, 05:21 PM   #4
Erik
Quote:
akiy wrote:
I immediately wondered when I read your description of the TV show if the lead of this series would be played by the daughter of one prominent American instructor who was once married to a Japanese aikido instructor in Osaka.
You don't mean that one, do you?

Last edited by Erik : 07-16-2002 at 05:43 PM.
Old 07-16-2002, 06:47 PM   #5
batemanb

Dojo: Seibukan Aikido UK
Quote:
Chris Li wrote:
These NHK things can get pretty sappy, but they're surprisingly addictive - my wife and daughter are both hooked on Sakura (which is on right now).
My wife is hooked on it too, although I can`t stand that stupid grin Sakura has permanently stamped on her face, and I wish she would ditch that stupid American boyfriend and get together with the sports teacher. Oh, I only catch the odd bit here and there on Saturdays, honestly

Chura san and Homomon (sp?) were better, but I shall look forward to the next one with interest

A difficult problem is easily solved by asking yourself the question, "Just how would the Lone Ranger handle this?"
Old 07-16-2002, 07:55 PM   #6
Chris Li

United_States
Quote:
batemanb wrote:
Chura san and Homomon (sp?) were better, but I shall look forward to the next one with interest
Honmamon I didn't like all that much (she always seemed to be brooding about something), but I liked Chura-san.

Actually, I started watching stupid Japanese dramas because they were easy to understand and they use ordinary conversational Japanese (unlike the news, or rakugo). It's just a little too easy to get hooked .

Best,

Chris

Old 07-16-2002, 08:59 PM   #7
batemanb

Dojo: Seibukan Aikido UK
Quote:
Chris Li wrote:
Honmamon I didn't like all that much (she always seemed to be brooding about something),
True, but she was a cutie

A difficult problem is easily solved by asking yourself the question, "Just how would the Lone Ranger handle this?"