Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Introductions

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 09-24-2007, 12:49 PM   #1
ewhip
United_States
Hello from Atlanta! Any advice on Aikido schools here?

Hi all! This is a great community that I'm happy to be a part of. I'm 36 and have a 9 month-old-baby, and I'm looking to get back into martial arts after a long layoff. I did some Shotokan and TKD in college, but I keep coming back to a basic fascination with Aikido.

I was wondering if anyone has any thoughts on schools here? I'm actually in Marietta if that makes a difference. I've seen a few listed on the Atlanta Martial Arts directory, but it's hard to know who's for real. I'm looking for a school that offers serious, top-notch instruction but that is also welcoming. I have a real pet peeve about "belt factories" and "Rex Kwon Do" schools, though I really see MUCH less of that in Aikido for some reason.

Anyway, sorry for the long post. Thanks!
Eric
Old 09-24-2007, 12:56 PM   #2
gdandscompserv

United_States
Re: Hello from Atlanta! Any advice on Aikido schools here?

http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showth...hlight=atlanta
Old 09-24-2007, 01:29 PM   #3
SeiserL

United_States

Roswell Budokan.
I'll watch for you.

Lynn Seiser PhD
Yondan Aikido & FMA/JKD
We do not rise to the level of our expectations, but fall to the level of our training. Train well. KWATZ!
Old 09-24-2007, 01:47 PM   #4
akiy

Hi Eric,

Welcome to AikiWeb.

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!
Old 09-24-2007, 02:05 PM   #5
gdandscompserv

United_States

Quote:
Lynn Seiser wrote: View Post
Roswell Budokan.
I'll watch for you.
How will you know it's him?
Old 09-24-2007, 02:49 PM   #6
SeiserL

United_States

Quote:
Ricky Wood wrote: View Post
How will you know it's him?
LOL
He'll be the one asking where the old man is.
LOL

Lynn Seiser PhD
Yondan Aikido & FMA/JKD
We do not rise to the level of our expectations, but fall to the level of our training. Train well. KWATZ!
Old 09-24-2007, 03:02 PM   #7
ewhip
United_States

Quote:
Lynn Seiser wrote: View Post
LOL
He'll be the one asking where the old man is.
LOL
Haha - that old saying about people in glass houses not throwing stones may apply here, so I'll refrain from asking for the old man!! LOL

Thanks for the response though - I've seen their website. Can you tell me what the significance of "Yushinkan" is in their name? Yes.... I'm an Aikido newbie..
Old 09-24-2007, 06:32 PM   #8
ewhip
United_States

...sorry, make that "Kyushinkan"....
Old 09-24-2007, 07:32 PM   #9
SeiserL

United_States

Roswell Budokan is the over all name of the school.
Kyushinkan represents the Aikido Dojo.
AWA affiliation Sensei Andy Santo. Aikikai connected.
Paul is Aikikai, Dave is Ki-Society, and weapons follows the Iwama-ryu curriculum.
There is also an Iaido class.
Classes everyday, even some 6:30 AM on Tuesday and Thursday.
Students are respectful, welcoming, and train hard.
They accepted me in January.
I have nothing but respect and fondness for these people.
Show up and train.
Decide for yourself.
Hope to see you there.

Lynn Seiser PhD
Yondan Aikido & FMA/JKD
Old 09-24-2007, 09:15 PM   #10
ewhip
United_States

Thank you sir!
Old 09-25-2007, 07:45 AM   #11
Erick Mead

Dojo: Big Green Drum (W. Florida Aikikai)
United_States

Quote:
Eric Whipple wrote: View Post
Hi all! This is a great community that I'm happy to be a part of. I'm 36 and have a 9 month-old-baby, and I'm looking to get back into martial arts after a long layoff.
I know the feeling.
Quote:
I was wondering if anyone has any thoughts on schools here? I'm actually in Marietta if that makes a difference.
I have no experience with the other schools listed, but I would add the Emory ASU group to the list,; they practice at the Woodruff athletic center on the campus. Jon Reading and Mike Magno teach there. A very good and welcoming group.

Schedule here: http://www.emoryaikikai.com/sched.html

Cordially,

Erick Mead
一隻狗可久里馬房但他也不是馬的.
Old 09-25-2007, 02:37 PM   #12
Larry Feldman
Dojo: Atlanta School of Aikido
United_States

I believe there is a school in Marietta, check the Dojo Search engine on this site. If it is the one I am thinking of the instructor's last name is Kelly he is affiliated with Suenaka. I believe he teaches at the "Y".

If you are willing to drive you can check out the classes at www.atlantaaikido.com in the Perimeter area (I-285 and I-400).
Old 09-25-2007, 08:24 PM   #13
ewhip
United_States

Quote:
Larry Feldman wrote: View Post
I believe there is a school in Marietta, check the Dojo Search engine on this site. If it is the one I am thinking of the instructor's last name is Kelly he is affiliated with Suenaka. I believe he teaches at the "Y".

If you are willing to drive you can check out the classes at www.atlantaaikido.com in the Perimeter area (I-285 and I-400).
Thanks! I actually used to be a member of the Concourse gym but let it lapse... So I already know where it is! LOL.
Old 10-09-2007, 07:54 PM   #14
John Bernhard
Dojo: Aikido of East Alabama
United_States

Quote:
Erick Mead wrote: View Post
I know the feeling. I have no experience with the other schools listed, but I would add the Emory ASU group to the list,; they practice at the Woodruff athletic center on the campus. Jon Reading and Mike Magno teach there. A very good and welcoming group.

Schedule here: http://www.emoryaikikai.com/sched.html
I am going to add my vote for Emory Aikikai with Michael Magno and Jon Reading Sensei's. I was fortunate to train with them for a little while and both got their instruction from some very incredible Sensei's. They are most certainly not a "belt" factor or a Rex Kwon Do school. They are associated with the Aikido schools of Ueshiba (ASU at www.asu.org). I lived up in Symrna when I was training at Emory. Everyone there is extremely welcoming. They do have a website and you can get to it by going to the asu.org site and looking up dojo Index. Hope that helps
Old 10-09-2007, 08:29 PM   #15
ewhip
United_States

Quote:
John Bernhard wrote: View Post
I am going to add my vote for Emory Aikikai with Michael Magno and Jon Reading Sensei's. I was fortunate to train with them for a little while and both got their instruction from some very incredible Sensei's. They are most certainly not a "belt" factor or a Rex Kwon Do school. They are associated with the Aikido schools of Ueshiba (ASU at www.asu.org). I lived up in Symrna when I was training at Emory. Everyone there is extremely welcoming. They do have a website and you can get to it by going to the asu.org site and looking up dojo Index. Hope that helps
John - thanks for that. My wife works at Emory, so it is appealing. I'm taking a bit of Kenpo soon and really want to delve deeply into Aikido - I have a couple more schools to check out and I will definitely look at Emory. Thanks for your time!
Old 10-10-2007, 08:23 AM   #16
John Bernhard
United_States

Eric good thing to shop around, when you shop I would also go and see about trying out a class or two or three before you decide. Talk with the sensei's I know Jon Reading Sensei is on these boards and writes quite a few things about Aikido that are posted on their website. Happy Hunting and welcome to the Aikido family
Old 10-10-2007, 12:50 PM   #17
Bronson

Dojo: Seiwa Dojo and Southside Dojo

Here are some good articles on selecting a dojo.

http://www.aikiweb.com/training/akiy7.html

http://www.aikiweb.com/training/witt1.html

Bronson

p.s. I can't speak for any of the schools in your area, but I'd really like to train with Lynn some day

"A pacifist is not really a pacifist if he is unable to make a choice between violence and non-violence. A true pacifist is able to kill or maim in the blink of an eye, but at the moment of impending destruction of the enemy he chooses non-violence."
Old 10-10-2007, 01:13 PM   #18
gdandscompserv

United_States

Quote:
Bronson Diffin wrote: View Post
p.s. I can't speak for any of the schools in your area, but I'd really like to train with Lynn some day
I had the pleasure of training with Lynn for an all too brief moment at an Ikeda sensei seminar. I would definitely like to train more with him.
Old 10-10-2007, 06:27 PM   #19
ewhip
United_States

Quote:
Ricky Wood wrote: View Post
I had the pleasure of training with Lynn for an all too brief moment at an Ikeda sensei seminar. I would definitely like to train more with him.
Yes, I want to get up to Roswell Budokan - it's a little far from me, but I want to see it and meet the people. Sounds like a great place that may be worth the drive.
Anyone know anything about the Dogwood Aikikai? It's not too far from me, but I haven't been down there yet. Thanks!
Old 10-10-2007, 08:41 PM   #20
giriasis
Dojo: Sand Drift Aikikai, Cocoa Florida
United_States

Quote:
Yes, I want to get up to Roswell Budokan - it's a little far from me, but I want to see it and meet the people. Sounds like a great place that may be worth the drive.
Anyone know anything about the Dogwood Aikikai? It's not too far from me, but I haven't been down there yet. Thanks!
Yes, I do. My dojo has a close connection with Dogwood Aikikai, not just because we are the same affiliation either. Their folks often come down for seminars and they are a great group of people. And our Sensei know each other pretty well.

They're aikido is great, too. Blue Spruell is one of the head instructors there and has a strong weapons background (4th dan Iaido). During this past Winter Camp, I took a weapons class he taught and I was very impressed. He gave good instruction and really understood the purpose behind the movements.

Please go there and check them out and tell them one of Sensei Peter's students from Florida Aikikai recommended them.

Anne Marie Giri
Old 10-10-2007, 09:14 PM   #21
ewhip
United_States

Quote:
Anne Marie Giri wrote: View Post
Yes, I do. My dojo has a close connection with Dogwood Aikikai, not just because we are the same affiliation either. Their folks often come down for seminars and they are a great group of people. And our Sensei know each other pretty well.

They're aikido is great, too. Blue Spruell is one of the head instructors there and has a strong weapons background (4th dan Iaido). During this past Winter Camp, I took a weapons class he taught and I was very impressed. He gave good instruction and really understood the purpose behind the movements.

Please go there and check them out and tell them one of Sensei Peter's students from Florida Aikikai recommended them.
Thanks SO much for the info! I love this place!
Old 10-11-2007, 04:47 AM   #22
Derek

Dojo: Roswell Budokan, Kyushinkan (AWA)
United_States

Eric,

We're having an open house at Roswell Budokan on Saturday if you want to check it out. Please feel welcome.

Derek Duval
Godan
Old 10-11-2007, 08:59 AM   #23
ewhip
United_States

Quote:
Derek Duval wrote: View Post
Eric,

We're having an open house at Roswell Budokan on Saturday if you want to check it out. Please feel welcome.
Oh great! I was on your website yesterday but I don't recall seeing anything about it - do you have any details on time, etc? Thanks!
Old 10-11-2007, 11:03 AM   #24
jonreading

Dojo: Aikido South
United_States

Me me! Emory Aikikai is the best. Seriously, you are welcome to stop by class.
Old 10-11-2007, 07:29 PM   #25
John Bernhard
United_States

I tried giving you all a plug Reading Sensei.....I really did. How you doing? Congrats on Nidan. I know its been a little while, but I haven't been in Atlanta for a little over a year now, back down in Auburn. Good to see you on here.

John