Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Introductions

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 05-26-2004, 10:22 AM   #1
TexV2
Dojo: Aikido Of Petaluma
United_States
Searching For Balance.

Hello all. My name is Marc Terrell and I hail from Northern California. I'd like to give a brief summary of my background. I began training in traditional Kenpo when I was a wee lad. I switched to American Kenpo in my early teens. I was privileged enough to train with some of the most distinguished Kenpoists in the world. During this time I was encouraged to explore other martial arts in an effort to broaden my understanding of Kenpo. I immediately contacted a friend of mine who trained with George Leonard and set up a loose schedule of practices. I found that Aikido techniques blended so well with Kenpo that it was frightening. We did this, off and on, for three years (give or take). I watched my friend grow in the art. As I became more aggressive and cocky, he became more centered and humble. Yet his abilities bordered on mystical to me. Though the two arts complement each other like bread and butter they are, in many ways, on opposite ends of the spectrum. There goes that whole "yin yang" thing I keep hearing so much about again! But Aikido has never ceased to be a source of inspiration and awe.

Long story short....My kenpo training came to an abrupt halt. My priorities shifted to drugs, alcohol and bar fights. Relationships were ruined, doors were shut. I became a stereotype and a royal @$$hole. Four years ago I made a decision to sober up and straighten out. (Jail will do that to ya) Since then I have remained true to my promise. I am 27 years old, a husband and a father. I have my priorities in check. Though I have tried to regain lost principles, the best I could on my own, there was something missing.

I was dwelling on this emptiness I was feeling and spotted a book on my shelf: "The Secrets of Aikido" by John Stevens. As I sat there flipping through pages a bell went off. The next day, for the first time in the better part of a decade, I walked into a Dojo. I observed the class for the full hour and a half. I think I have found what I'm looking for.

If the Aikido world will accept me with a clean slate I come humble, eager and hungry. Looking forward to the journey.

Love and Respect to all Aikidoka

Marc "TEX" Terrell
Old 06-07-2004, 10:45 PM   #2
xuzen

Dojo: None at the moment - on hiatus
Malaysia
Re: Searching For Balance.

Dear marc,

I have read your journal and I would like to extend a warm welcome to you to the wonderful world of Aikido. Personally I have done Aikido for 9 years now, and am still lovin it. Aikido somehow create very humble people, it must be some of its beneficial side-effects, other than its health and self defence benefits. Anyway, welcome. I am new to this forum myself and still trying to navigate around.

Best wishes,
Boon
Old 06-07-2004, 11:36 PM   #3
Benjie Lu
Dojo: Don Galo, Parañaque

Quote:
Marc Terrell wrote:
Hello all. My name is Marc Terrell and I hail from Northern California. I'd like to give a brief summary of my background. I began training in traditional Kenpo when I was a wee lad. I switched to American Kenpo in my early teens. I was privileged enough to train with some of the most distinguished Kenpoists in the world. During this time I was encouraged to explore other martial arts in an effort to broaden my understanding of Kenpo. I immediately contacted a friend of mine who trained with George Leonard and set up a loose schedule of practices. I found that Aikido techniques blended so well with Kenpo that it was frightening. We did this, off and on, for three years (give or take). I watched my friend grow in the art. As I became more aggressive and cocky, he became more centered and humble. Yet his abilities bordered on mystical to me. Though the two arts complement each other like bread and butter they are, in many ways, on opposite ends of the spectrum. There goes that whole "yin yang" thing I keep hearing so much about again! But Aikido has never ceased to be a source of inspiration and awe.

Long story short....My kenpo training came to an abrupt halt. My priorities shifted to drugs, alcohol and bar fights. Relationships were ruined, doors were shut. I became a stereotype and a royal @$$hole. Four years ago I made a decision to sober up and straighten out. (Jail will do that to ya) Since then I have remained true to my promise. I am 27 years old, a husband and a father. I have my priorities in check. Though I have tried to regain lost principles, the best I could on my own, there was something missing.

I was dwelling on this emptiness I was feeling and spotted a book on my shelf: "The Secrets of Aikido" by John Stevens. As I sat there flipping through pages a bell went off. The next day, for the first time in the better part of a decade, I walked into a Dojo. I observed the class for the full hour and a half. I think I have found what I'm looking for.

If the Aikido world will accept me with a clean slate I come humble, eager and hungry. Looking forward to the journey.

Love and Respect to all Aikidoka

Marc "TEX" Terrell

Wow! Welcome Tex,

It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong and I hope that this is the beginning of your wonderful journey in the art of harmony, aikido.

Kindest regards,

Benjie Lu
Manila, Philippines
Old 06-08-2004, 08:17 AM   #4
kocakb
Dojo: Burhan Felek Sport Center-Istanbul
Turkey

you gave a perfect decision ...welcome
Old 06-08-2004, 12:59 PM   #5
TexV2
United_States

You guys are the best!
Respects and many thanks.

Marc

A flute with no holes is not a flute. A doughnut with no holes is a danish.
Old 06-08-2004, 01:55 PM   #6
Qatana

Dojo: Aikido of Petaluma, Petaluma,CA

Wow. That was my dojo.
Welcome to aikido Marc, and to a really great group of people, and a really great bunch here on aikiweb,too!
I just feel so deeply honored that I might have had something to do with you coming & training after watching the Beginner's class! And speaking of that, ahem, Monday night class? You gonna come? I adore Bill and worship Bob, he's a great sensei & a great guy.
See ya on the mat.

Q
http://www.aikidopetaluma.com/
www.knot-working.com

"It is not wise to be incautious when confronting a little smiling bald man"'- Rule #1
Old 06-08-2004, 03:17 PM   #7
TexV2
United_States

I missed Monday's class. I'll be there tonight, Thurs, and Sat. I will try my damndest to make next Mon. I get a kick outta Bill.

Respects,
Marc

A flute with no holes is not a flute. A doughnut with no holes is a danish.
Old 06-08-2004, 03:36 PM   #8
tony cameron

Dear Marc,
the Force is with you. welcome to your new Life

tony1
Old 06-08-2004, 03:37 PM   #9
DanD
Thumbs down Re: Searching For Balance.

Marc,

a LOT of good luck in with your new path.... IMHO you've done a great choice!
Old 06-08-2004, 04:52 PM   #10
Janet Rosen

Marc, welcome to aikido and to aikiweb, from a neighbor just slightly to the south.

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield
Old 06-08-2004, 09:01 PM   #11
Lan Powers
Dojo: Aikido of Midland, Midland TX

Welcome "Tex" ..... regards from aikidokas in west Texas...
Lan

Play nice, practice hard, but remember, this is a MARTIAL art!