Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 02-27-2012, 09:05 PM   #1
Yianie
United_States
Flip Me Silly

Ok, so I'm 3/4 convinced Aikido will be the chosen one. Just curious, is their any kind of prep, like space shuttle training, for all the tossing, turning and flipping the training seems to consist of? No disrespect, but is loosing your stomach common the first few weeks? Any advice other than bring a bag will be appreciated.
Old 02-27-2012, 09:14 PM   #2
robin_jet_alt
Australia
Re: Flip Me Silly

Quote:
John Vasos wrote: View Post
Ok, so I'm 3/4 convinced Aikido will be the chosen one. Just curious, is their any kind of prep, like space shuttle training, for all the tossing, turning and flipping the training seems to consist of? No disrespect, but is loosing your stomach common the first few weeks? Any advice other than bring a bag will be appreciated.
Don't eat just before training. It's a rule I have followed since I started. Otherwise, just pace yourself. You might not be able to keep up at first, but that's alright. You will get there.
Old 02-27-2012, 09:44 PM   #3
Mario Tobias
Philippines

Quote:
It is natural. Even advanced students once they stop for a significant time will get easily tired once they start practicing again and go about huffing and puffing at the end of the session. The key is to continue practicing and not stop, your endurance will improve with regular training.
Old 02-28-2012, 12:03 AM   #4
LinTal
Dojo: Aikido Terrey Hills
Australia

Quote:
Mario Tobias wrote: View Post
The key is to continue practicing and not stop, your endurance will improve with regular training.
Within reason! Within reason!!

'Know thyself', or you're a liability on the people at your dojo, and a nuisance for the paramedics carting you to hospital.

The world changes when you do.
Old 02-28-2012, 02:35 AM   #5
JJF

Dojo: Vestfyn Aikikai Denmark
Denmark

Don't wait unpatiently for progress - just enjoy it when it arrives.. Of course there is nothing wrong with a little bit of basic workout (stretches, building leg and upper body strength, maybe run a few miles), but don't let it keep you away from the mat. Go there - get started - and enjoy the ride.

One more thing: read as much as you like on this lovely forum - and other archives such as Aikidofaq - watch youtube aikido clips to your hearts desire, but don't bring anything you get from these channels on the mat as facts. Empty your cup and let your teacher help you fill it again.

(of course my wise words are the only exception from this rule )

Have fun

- Jørgen Jakob Friis

Inspiration - Aspiration - Perspiration
Old 02-28-2012, 04:09 AM   #6
Alic
Dojo: Sokushinkan Dojo, Vancouver
Canada

My sensei, a Yoshinkan senshusei graduate, told me the secret to enduring ukemi: spirit!

When you have to do 500 koho ukemi for after class exercise, well over 300 zempo hiyaku ukemi's within an hour and a half, and always attemping to break the record of 1000 koho ukemi in 90 minutes, you get really... really... really good at ukemi. You also develop some very interesting looking scars on your body.

In all seriousness, do one on the left and one on the right. If you keep flipping on one side, not only will your ukemi be better on one side than the other (like me) but you also get dizzy really fast.

As for barfing, I haven't seen people do that in regular training, but apparently if you were foolish enough to eat a full meal before training on the senshusei course, you will barf it up. Those who need to barf didn't need to be excused: they just run right off the mat and into the male washroom directly opposite to the dojo door.

Sensei told me this: for the 30 minute break he gets in-between classes, he intakes a bottle of water, a banana, and a granola bar. They keep him full, energized, eletrolyte replenished, and barf-free. You can replace bottle water with coconut water or sports drinks, but drink it cold to cool you down. If you need more, add a yogurt to it should suffice.

He also said that after he was done, he had enough time to do one of these two things: either elevate his legs to drain the blood that's been pooling in his knees back to the torso (totally swollen knees), or patch up the injuries on his body. If you bleed (and you will), you tape absorbent pads to the wound to soak up the blood. If you bleed into your dogi, you need to change, and if you bleed on the mats, you need to wipe it off first, then patch yourself up.

Take it easy bro, no need to kill yourself on the first day of class, people aren't waiting to be impressed anyhow, so no pressure.

Last edited by Alic : 02-28-2012 at 04:11 AM.
Old 02-28-2012, 04:43 AM   #7
nickregnier1
Dojo: Aspire Aikido London
United Kingdom

Quote:
Robin Boyd wrote: View Post
Don't eat just before training. It's a rule I have followed since I started. Otherwise, just pace yourself. You might not be able to keep up at first, but that's alright. You will get there.
I agree with Robin here!! I too made a mistake one day having beans and sausage before practicing (long time ago when I was a teenager) and the food came back after a few forward break falls. Since this, I never eat before the training...
Regards,

Nick

http://www.aspireaikidolondon.co.uk
Follow us on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/pages/Aspire...79305248800728
and Twitter https://twitter.com/AspireAikidoLon
Old 02-28-2012, 07:07 AM   #8
lbb
United_States

I remember once reading an interview of a taekwondo teacher who had very impressive spinning kicks. The interviewer asked the same kind of questions you're asking: what do you do to stop being dizzy, when does it stop, etc. This teacher, who had been doing this for decades, said, "You don't ever stop being dizzy. You just stop minding it."

You can't change the physiology of the inner ear, and you can't change the dizziness. You also can't change the fact that you, like everyone, feel discomfort in a new and strange situation where you are starting from zero and don't have competency. The response that many people have is to try to fast-track their development of competency in an effort to get to a comfortable place. That, I'm convinced, is behind the common beginner requests for extra exercises that they can do outside class (so that the next class won't be so uncomfortable, d'ya think? Yeah, me too).

Getting to a comfortable place isn't always a good goal. Nobody sane loves misery for its own sake, but dizziness, both physical and psychological, will be with you always. The ground will always feel shaky under your feet. A comfortable place is a good thing if it means that you've become comfortable in uncertainty. A comfortable place that's merely complacency...less so.
Old 02-28-2012, 08:48 AM   #9
GMaroda
Dojo: Allegheny Aikido
United_States

Man, I've had the "I shouldn't have eaten that before class" moment too!

I try to make sure I haven't eaten a substantial meal within an hour of a normal class. Other than that, practice, practice, practice but don't be so macho you end up pushing yourself towards injury and sickness. When I came back to aikido after a long time, I had to take a lot of short breaks (then again, I'm not as young as I was when I started!) but after time those shortened and then stopped.
Old 02-28-2012, 10:23 AM   #10
morph4me

United_States

Be sure to breath. If you get nauseous, stop until it passes, If you get dizzy, stop until it passes. Your instructor or seniors will guide you.

"Logical consequences are the scarecrows of fools and the beacons of wise men" - Thomas Henry Huxley
Old 02-28-2012, 11:30 AM   #11
philippe willaume

United Kingdom

Hello

I usually eat before practice.
No side effect for the last 10 years
Being chucked about help the digestion
Phil

One Ringeck to bring them all and in darkness bind them,
In the Land of Windsor where phlip phlop live.
Old 02-28-2012, 03:00 PM   #12
Shadowfax

Dojo: Allegheny Aikido, Pitsburgh PA
United_States

Quote:
Greg Maroda wrote: View Post
Man, I've had the "I shouldn't have eaten that before class" moment too!

I try to make sure I haven't eaten a substantial meal within an hour of a normal class. Other than that, practice, practice, practice but don't be so macho you end up pushing yourself towards injury and sickness. When I came back to aikido after a long time, I had to take a lot of short breaks (then again, I'm not as young as I was when I started!) but after time those shortened and then stopped.
And then of course there is the old "I'm hungry" right in the middle of class.

So you have to learn how to fuel yourself properly for training without overloading your digestive system right before class....

Only time Ive gotten an upset stomach it was because I at too close to training time. Like most said nothing heavy within an hour of training. I try to eat dinner a couple of hours before I go to class. If I have to eat closer to class time I make it light but high protein. I'ts just a part of the process. You will get dizzy. Eventually you won't notice anymore.

Just get on the mat and train.
Old 02-28-2012, 03:15 PM   #13
kewms

What Cherie said: just get on the mat and train. You'll figure it out.

Rolling with an impaired inner ear -- like a bad cold -- is not a good idea. Eating heavy food -- Mexican is infamous - right before class is not a good idea. But other than that, you'll be fine.

Have you watched a class at the dojo you're planning to join yet?

Katherine
Old 02-28-2012, 03:17 PM   #14
kewms

Quote:
Cherie Cornmesser wrote: View Post
Only time Ive gotten an upset stomach it was because I at too close to training time. Like most said nothing heavy within an hour of training.
I think this is the real reason why Japanese food is so popular among aikidoka. It's not just that we're Japanophiles, it is that sushi is one of the most ukemi-friendly things you can eat for lunch at seminars.

Katherine
Old 02-28-2012, 03:32 PM   #15
Linda Eskin

Dojo: Aikido of San Diego, San Diego, California
United_States

I have vertigo (BPPV) - the kind of thing where you hurl if you turn your head, and feel like you're going to fall over if you see traffic moving past you. Fun, fun, fun. I have done several rounds of physical therapy for it (which really helped). I've had less trouble since starting Aikido 3 years ago, because it's very similar to the PT, in helping me learn to coordinate my eyes/ears/brain. But when I went for my first class I arranged to be able to call for a ride home, in case I wasn't able to drive (or stand up, for that matter, which has happened in the past). I find that staying well hydrated helps a lot. I do get dizzy still, but Aikido has helped it happen less, and helps me deal with it better. Give me a shout if you find you have serious dizziness troubles. Maybe I can point you to some resources or things to try.

And at our dojo we have a rule: If you're going to hurl, for heaven's sake, get off the mat. ;-)

Linda Eskin - Facebook | My Aikido blog: Grab My Wrist

"Heaven is right where you are standing, and that is the place to train." - Morihei Ueshiba
Old 02-28-2012, 05:06 PM   #16
Conrad Gus

Dojo: Eclipse Budo
Canada

Quote:
Alic Xie wrote: View Post
My sensei, a Yoshinkan senshusei graduate, told me the secret to enduring ukemi: spirit!

When you have to do 500 koho ukemi for after class exercise, well over 300 zempo hiyaku ukemi's within an hour and a half, and always attemping to break the record of 1000 koho ukemi in 90 minutes, you get really... really... really good at ukemi. You also develop some very interesting looking scars on your body.
I'm not yoshinkan. What is "Koho Ukemi"? I totally want to go for the record! (joking)
Old 02-28-2012, 06:19 PM   #17
robin_jet_alt
Australia

Quote:
Conrad Gustafson wrote: View Post
I'm not yoshinkan. What is "Koho Ukemi"? I totally want to go for the record! (joking)
Koho means backwards and zenpo means forwards
Old 02-28-2012, 07:52 PM   #18
phitruong
Dojo: Charlotte Aikikai Agatsu Dojo
United_States

Quote:
Ok, so I'm 3/4 convinced Aikido will be the chosen one. .
the question is whether you are "the chosen one" or not?

"budo is putting on cold, wet, sweat stained gi with a smile and a snarl" - your truly
http://charlotteaikikai.org
Old 02-29-2012, 09:58 AM   #19
Conrad Gus

Dojo: Eclipse Budo
Canada

Quote:
Phi Truong wrote: View Post
the question is whether you are "the chosen one" or not?
You know you are "the chosen one" if you can bust out 1500 koho ukemi in 45 minutes.
Old 02-29-2012, 10:46 AM   #20
Alic
Dojo: Sokushinkan Dojo, Vancouver
Canada

Quote:
Conrad Gustafson wrote: View Post
You know you are "the chosen one" if you can bust out 1500 koho ukemi in 45 minutes.
That would be way too epic. Next coming of Ueshiba Morihei?!?

Not everyone can be a genius, but not all geniuses become masters. Most important trait for success is the 3 D's: drive, determination, dream.

Never assume you have to be talented to be successful, you just have to work twice as hard as they do. Time is the only thing that makes a master.
Old 02-29-2012, 11:24 AM   #21
GMaroda
Dojo: Allegheny Aikido
United_States

Quote:
Cherie Cornmesser wrote: View Post
And then of course there is the old "I'm hungry" right in the middle of class.
Hey now, "I'm hungry" only happens when I'm working overnight! I wake up and only have one or two hours to eat and get there before class starts. My stomach can't take a lot that "early" but I still need to fuel up. So I start to run down.

And let's face it, in-jokes are fun and build team spirit!
Old 02-29-2012, 11:25 AM   #22
amoeba
Dojo: Aikido Netzwerk
Germany

Well, the ukemi training normally starts very slowly. I've never seen anyone having stomach problems from it, don't worry. You'll be introduced gradually...
Old 02-29-2012, 02:19 PM   #23
Shadowfax

Dojo: Allegheny Aikido, Pitsburgh PA
United_States

Quote:
Greg Maroda wrote: View Post

And let's face it, in-jokes are fun and build team spirit!
lol and hence my comment about my powerful ki.. erm I mean key last night when discussing an upcoming open mat night.

Mexican food before class can also make for some powerful ki or ushiro kokyu technique.

Personally my favorite before class snack is some Greek yogurt with fruit (dried of fresh) and almonds. Easy to digest and plenty of protein.
Old 02-29-2012, 05:08 PM   #24
Yianie
United_States

Thank you everyone. You're all very kind and caring.
Old 03-01-2012, 08:44 PM   #25
matty_mojo911

Well I've had plenty of dry retch moments (after training), stinking headaches and the like. The secret to not having this is don't eat too much before hand, strong legs, lose weight and good cardio. Also don't rush in at a 100 miles per hour, and pause for a moment before returning for another throw.

But big picture, I really think the 100's of throw "game" at the end of training is an old, old fashioned way of training. I've seen lots of injuries when this goes on, including too myself, people get tired and you keep pushing them that bit more.....then....oh dear, he didn't fall that well did he?

Primitive. Yes do some throws, yes get them tired, but judge it so that the person is just tired enough to get a work out, but still fully in control of their fall, then stop, and give them a good rest.

A lot of bad injuries in sport come about when people are tired, there is a reason why people drown when they are in the water a long time, they get tired and they can't swim any more. Same basic idea.