Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > "Off-The-Mat"

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 06-19-2006, 12:14 PM   #1
Lucy Smith
Dojo: Samurai Dojo
Uruguay
Surfing

Well this is a most specific thread about using Aikido Principles in Physical Activities...

I started surfing last summer, which is from December to February, for those of you who don't know where I'm from And I started Aikido in March. I had no idea that I would be starting Aikido, during the summer. I managed not to get killed surfing (who knows how), even as I had a few accidents.
I realized too, that surfing and Aikido have a lot in common. They are both related to nature and the natural flow of the Universe. They don't try to change the universe but to adapt to it. The feeling of satisfaction when accomplishing a new step (ikkyo, standing on the board) is amazing.
I've also been thinking that the stance is pretty similar. So I imagine the balance should work pretty much in the same way. The problem is that I can't surf during winter, not because of the weather, but because in my city the largest wave is about two inches tall.
Soooo my question is... for those of you who practice both, or have a friend who practices both, or just want to write cos' they're bored: can Aikido principles, balance, projection of Ki, state of mind, be applied to surfing??? Do you surf better now that you do Aikido??? Do you practice Aikido better now that you surf???

Thank you in advance
Lucy.
Old 06-19-2006, 03:10 PM   #2
James Davis

Dojo: Ft. Myers School of Aikido
United_States
Re: Surfing

I've never seen a picture of a surfer standing straight with no bend in his knees, so I imagine that lowering your center of gravity is probably a good thing. (not that I know; the waves only get a few inches tall here, too. )

"The only difference between Congress and drunken sailors is that drunken sailors spend their own money." -Tom Feeney, representative from Florida
Old 06-19-2006, 03:51 PM   #3
Dirk Hanss

Dojo: Aikidoschule Trier
Germany

Quote:
James Davis, Jr. wrote:
I've never seen a picture of a surfer standing straight with no bend in his knees, so I imagine that lowering your center of gravity is probably a good thing. (not that I know; the waves only get a few inches tall here, too. )
I guess you haven't seen the old Hawaian surfers, standing straight - arms crossed - on a tall board

Well it is like old shihan, who often lower their center invisibly for normal human beings. You see just a hand moving and uke flying. Then they pretend on all the technique coming from hara

Dirk
Old 06-19-2006, 04:32 PM   #4
Qatana

Dojo: Aikido of Petaluma, Petaluma,CA

My 76 year old instructor goes water-skiing regularly and he says its the same thing, so so is surfing. He usually uses skiing analogies when explaining moving from center, relaxed stance and open awareness...

Q
http://www.aikidopetaluma.com/
www.knot-working.com

"It is not wise to be incautious when confronting a little smiling bald man"'- Rule #1
Old 06-19-2006, 05:27 PM   #5
Mark Freeman
Dojo: Dartington
United Kingdom

Quote:
Lucy Smith wrote:
I realized too, that surfing and Aikido have a lot in common. They are both related to nature and the natural flow of the Universe. They don't try to change the universe but to adapt to it.
Hi Lucy, you are spot on!

I often use the analogy of the natural motion of waves when trying to get some point across in aikido. Waves do not struggle, they just are, their timing is perfect
I have a couple of surfers in my class ( and me! ) and we all agree that the two activities are complementary. Balance, relaxation, timing, mental focus and extension, and the sensitivity to feel the 'energy' are applied to both. Waves can be soft and gentle or large and powerfull, just like aikido. Learning to fall with relaxation also applies to both.
I have found however that I don't have to hold my breath for so long when I'm thrown in aikido
Two of life's great pleasures are catching a good wave and riding it out, and performing an effortless aikido throw against a full on attack, one is wet and the other dry

be safe in the water!

regards,

Mark

Success is having what you want. Happiness is wanting what you have.
Old 06-20-2006, 06:43 PM   #6
emma.mason15
Dojo: Shima Arashi Dojo
United Kingdom

(forgive me .. im eating rice krispies as well as posting .. so there may be spelling mistakes .. as its 0145)
so what were saying is .. when I go to newquay in the summer and have my 1st surfing lesson .... all i gotta think is to appy some good ol aikido in to the mix and I hopefully wont suck as bad as me mates?
rock on!

Dance your cares away .... worry for another day ... let the music play .... down in fraggle rock!

when bored ... do as I do. Poke a patient!
Old 06-20-2006, 11:23 PM   #7
RossT
Dojo: Templegate Bistol
England

Unfortunately for me, the only tubes I've ever got to surf are the Northern and Bakerloo lines (subways), but I've often tried to adopt aikido stance whilst daring not to hold on to the hand rails. Ocassionally, this has meant bumping into fellow passengers, and on the last train home can neccesiatate retaining a degree of martial awareness! I imagine that, as with surfing a real wave it makes for interesting aikido practice because you can't pre-empt when the driver's going to hit the breaks/when the wave will change, therefore forcing you to rely on feeling. I have to aknowledge, however that the seaside probably makes for a nicer dojo.
Old 06-21-2006, 08:15 PM   #8
Mike Hamer

Dojo: Shinki Rengo, Mt. Pleasant MI
United_States

I would think that Aikido can be applied to anything in life in some form or another

To speak ill of anything is against the nature of Aikido