Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Non-Aikido Martial Traditions

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 02-22-2008, 07:22 PM   #1
gdandscompserv

United_States
"Internal" Style Videos

I would like this thread to be a place for people to post and discuss videos of "internal" style training methods/movements. I'll start off with this one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qrwG599Sc3s
Old 02-22-2008, 08:40 PM   #3
gdandscompserv

United_States
Re: "Internal" Style Videos

Quote:
Mark Murray wrote: View Post
Definitely one of my favorite Osensei demonstrations.
Old 02-22-2008, 09:42 PM   #4
Josh Lerner

United_States

Zhaobao Taijiquan pushhands by, I think, Wang Qingsheng (someone correct me if I'm wrong):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3Qex7QFLss&search=taiji

One particularly nice version of the Yijinjing ("Tendon Changing Classic", more basic body conditioning than truly internal training, but good nonetheless):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y72-29g7Tes

Josh
Old 02-23-2008, 06:39 AM   #5
Timothy WK
United_States

Quote:
Ricky Wood wrote: View Post
I'll start off with this one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qrwG599Sc3s
This guy... kinda... says the right thing, but doesn't show it in his body.

Tucking the butt and slumping the chest are misunderstanding (as I recently discovered).(*) There is a *feeling* of tucking the tailbone, but in actuality it should remain fairly straight. The chest thing is difficult to explain, and I can only pull it off occasionally. You want to "drop" the chest while keeping the back/spine straight... Think about it... yeah, it's a paradox.

(*) There might be times when tucking the butt and/or slumping the chest are appropriate, I'm not sure. But I don't believe he was demonstrating one of those times (unless someone wants to correct).

--Timothy Kleinert
Old 02-23-2008, 08:03 AM   #6
Upyu
Dojo: Aunkai, Tokyo

Quote:
Timothy Walters Kleinert wrote: View Post

Tucking the butt and slumping the chest are misunderstanding (as I recently discovered).(*) There is a *feeling* of tucking the tailbone, but in actuality it should remain fairly straight. The chest thing is difficult to explain, and I can only pull it off occasionally. You want to "drop" the chest while keeping the back/spine straight... Think about it... yeah, it's a paradox.

(*) There might be times when tucking the butt and/or slumping the chest are appropriate, I'm not sure. But I don't believe he was demonstrating one of those times (unless someone wants to correct).
Monty huh.... nuff said
Old 02-23-2008, 09:20 AM   #7
gdandscompserv

United_States

Quote:
Timothy Walters Kleinert wrote: View Post

Thanks Timothy. That's the kind of feedback I was looking for.
Old 02-23-2008, 12:01 PM   #8
Timothy WK
United_States

Here's an interesting one. It gives some "basic rules" for Tai Chi. The rules don't say a whole lot by themselves, but it's just teaser/ promotional video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhUiSi9v99k

(You can compare how straight his back & hips are compared with the guy in first video.)

--Timothy Kleinert
Old 02-23-2008, 12:43 PM   #9
Chris Parkerson
Dojo: Academy of the Martial Arts
United_States

Hey Ron John and crew...

That last video on tai Chi was a wonderful display of training points.

I took this film for fun at the Mojo today.

My take on the excellent throws that accompany the Tai Chi Push hands displays shown in the threads above is that allot more has to be put into than just Pong training. In fact, as you know, my pong don't ping so good anymore because of my Tight psoas. I guess in Ebonics, you just might call it a "tight so(re) ass".

I began to focus on the area of dynamics that studies "bodies in motion". It is called kinematics. How can my movement set up the other guy so that he is ready to be bounced.... Then I let my freight train (kinetic energy) do its work. Much less stress on my old torn up body.

I have loaded up a video stream of simple Tai Chi Press to show an example of how much energy I can get out of "setting up" the opponent. My "set up" is done using a very small circle and both floats and destabilizes uke. I will be using larger circles in some more videos with better lighting as we took some other films with a better camera. But for now, here is the in vitro idea.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVEFbwimXRE

later I will upload the display of the principle using large and small circle Aikido techniques.

Regards
Just a quick post.