Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Supplies

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 08-31-2007, 02:19 PM   #1
rdbateman
i need your opinion on my aikido wear choices

Id thought Id treat myself to this. However I wanted to know before I slpurged that this was the best choice. Would you guys get anything different. Take a look.

AIkido Gi

Hakama

Haori
Old 08-31-2007, 05:23 PM   #2
rdbateman
Re: i need your opinion on my aikido wear choices

I really like the Gi. However that Japan shipping cost will kill me. So what are your guy's thoughts on these items?
Old 08-31-2007, 05:45 PM   #3
Walker

Dojo: 鷹松道場|Takamatsu Dojo ATL
United_States

Why would you want a gi with the name "Mark" on it?

It looks similar to the Tozando one which I like, but I prefer not to have side vents which bug me with hakama. Something to think about.

-Doug Walker
新道楊心流の鷹松道場
Old 08-31-2007, 05:49 PM   #4
rdbateman

http://www.e-bogu.com/product_p/tak-...-white-all.htm

What about this product. Looks similar to the original gi I was looking at. Can anyone compare the two for pros and cons.

I think I know what you mean about "side vents". Where can I get a hakama without them? Or is that an option for that bushin design to get rid of them?
Old 08-31-2007, 06:10 PM   #5
Walker

Dojo: 鷹松道場|Takamatsu Dojo ATL
United_States

I meant the slits on the side of the gi jacket as opposed to those that have that slit in the back. I am probably idiosyncratic in this regard. Judo jackets really bug me with hakama as do pants under. (Now, long johns are a different story, that's just dressin like the old man. )

-Doug Walker
新道楊心流の鷹松道場
Old 08-31-2007, 06:30 PM   #6
rdbateman

Im confused. I you saying the Jackets I posted the links for are Judo Jackets? I dont think so.
Old 09-03-2007, 12:39 PM   #7
jennifer paige smith

Dojo: Confluence Aiki-Dojo / Santa Cruz Sword Club
United_States

Underwear only! Onegaishimasu.

ya-hooooooooo....:-)

Jennifer Paige Smith
Confluence Aikido Systems
Old 09-03-2007, 05:40 PM   #8
rdbateman

Can anyone give me some serious insight? Im a college student and this is a lot of money that Im dealing with.
Old 09-03-2007, 06:34 PM   #9
Qatana

Dojo: Aikido of Petaluma, Petaluma,CA

Robert , do you need a hakama right now? Correct me if I'm wrong, it sounds like you are just starting training. Does your dojo require hakama, and for some reason, a haori?
Because in my experience, a $45 karate gi is the best way to go. In fact, my dojo gets our gis and belts from the karate dojo down the street! You may be able to do the same.
Wait to make major investments when you know you have made a commitment to training.

Q
http://www.aikidopetaluma.com/
www.knot-working.com

"It is not wise to be incautious when confronting a little smiling bald man"'- Rule #1
Old 09-03-2007, 08:27 PM   #10
Bronson

Dojo: Seiwa Dojo and Southside Dojo

Quote:
Robert Bateman wrote: View Post
Im confused. I you saying the Jackets I posted the links for are Judo Jackets? I dont think so.
Ummm, yes it was. The link to E-bogu was titled "Aikido" gi but it is the exact same thing as the judo gi they also sell. I deal with E-bogu for a lot of my stuff but I really don't like their judo gi. I find them too ...blocky, for lack of a better word. They also have a seam that goes right down the spine which can be uncomfortable. I have started using E-bogu's white kendo hakama as I find it more comfortable with a hakama (since they are designed for wearing with them while the judo/aikido gi is not) and I like the tie positioned at chest height.

Bronson

p.s. If you're on a budget I'd ditch the Haori, unless you specifically need one. I'd also agree with Jo to wait on the hakama if you don't really need it right now, especially if you're on a tight budget.

"A pacifist is not really a pacifist if he is unable to make a choice between violence and non-violence. A true pacifist is able to kill or maim in the blink of an eye, but at the moment of impending destruction of the enemy he chooses non-violence."
Old 09-03-2007, 08:31 PM   #11
Karen Wolek
Dojo: Kingston Aikido
United_States

I'm with Jo, except I'd get a lower-priced judo gi. (We don't usually use karate gi because they'd get torn apart; I think it depends on your dojo style or whatever you want to call it. Our uniforms take a lot of abuse.)

But yeah, if you are just starting out and you don't need the hakama or the haori, just get a nice-quality, inexpensive gi. We sell nice ones at my dojo for $50.

But you said you want to treat yourself, on a college student budget (huh?)....so my advice is to ask your sensei or a sempai what s/he recommends!

My opinion is the gi looks fine, but way out of my budget, personally. (A college student with three kids, ha) And my teachers like cotton hakama, so I'm sure that is what I will be getting when I am shodan. And the haori? We don't wear those, so I have no clue!

Karen
"Try not. Do...or do not. There is no try." - Master Yoda
Old 09-04-2007, 04:39 PM   #12
rdbateman

Yes, its actually encouraged that we get a hakama. Neither I nor anyone else at our dojo understands this shodan requirement crap. Just seems like a ego feed to me. As for the Haori, obviously I dont need it. I just want myself to look nice. The links I posted and the sum of the price they amount to, is fine with me. I want to get something rather nice. I just want to make sure Im not purchasing expensive crap I wont like.

So that is a JudoGi huh? Couldn't they be sued for false advertising? What is the difference between a Judo and AikidoGi anyway? They both have shorter sleeves for gripping right?
Old 09-04-2007, 05:17 PM   #13
Ryan Sanford
Dojo: Northwest Aikido
United_States

Quote:
Neither I nor anyone else at our dojo understands this shodan requirement crap. Just seems like a ego feed to me.
Excuse me, but Hombu Dojo (the Aikikai branch headquarters) waits until shodan for males, and 3rd Kyu for females.
http://www.aikikai.or.jp/eng/hombu/visitor.htm
An ego feed? I disagree.
Quote:
As for the Haori, obviously I dont need it. I just want myself to look nice. The links I posted and the sum of the price they amount to, is fine with me. I want to get something rather nice. I just want to make sure Im not purchasing expensive crap I wont like.
May I ask what style your dojo is affiliated with? I've never heard of a Haori before, not to mention one being worn during Aikido practice.
Quote:
So that is a JudoGi huh? Couldn't they be sued for false advertising? What is the difference between a Judo and AikidoGi anyway? They both have shorter sleeves for gripping right?
Nah, an Aikido Gi and a Judo Gi are essentially the same (if not exactly the same). My dojo uses Judo Gi. Some people prefer Judo Gi over Karate Gi because Judo Gi are often more durable and sometimes more suited for Aikido practice.

"There's only one corner of the universe you can be certain of improving, and that's your own self." - Aldous Huxley
Old 09-04-2007, 06:39 PM   #14
Qatana

Dojo: Aikido of Petaluma, Petaluma,CA

Generally a thick, heavy,quilted gi is known as a judo gi, and a lighter weight one is known as a karate gi. I'm pretty sure nobody has copyrighted these descriptors so you can pretty much call one whatever you like, if you happen to manufacture them. If you make them to sell to aikido students, they're aikido gis.

Q
http://www.aikidopetaluma.com/
www.knot-working.com

"It is not wise to be incautious when confronting a little smiling bald man"'- Rule #1
Old 09-04-2007, 10:02 PM   #15
rdbateman

The Haori is not for my aikido practice. Its for warmth outside lol. It gets icy during winter so I want to look nice.

As for the rest of the posting, I believe this thread has gotten off topic. This thread was supposed to be an intelligent response to the specific articles of clothing I provided links to.
Old 09-05-2007, 03:16 AM   #16
Josh Reyer

Japan

Quote:
The Haori is not for my aikido practice. Its for warmth outside lol. It gets icy during winter so I want to look nice.
Well, hopefully I'm time to prevent needless expense.

You will not look nice wearing a haori over your aikido-gi; rather you'll look faintly ridiculous. Haori are generally not worn over keiko-gi. It's roughly equivalent to wearing a suit jacket over a track suit. Bujin supplies haori for use in giving iaido demonstrations in full kimono.

Secondly, haori are primarily a fashion item - they don't do much to prevent cold. In fact, they are worn with a regular kimono (but not yukata) even in the summer. In the old days, when a Japanese man wanted to fend off the cold, he wore multiple layers under his kimono.

It's your money, and your right to dress any way you like. Just be forewarned that you'll be spending $75 plus S&H for a fashion faux pas that won't keep you very warm during those winter months.

Josh Reyer

The lyf so short, the crafte so longe to lerne,
Th'assay so harde, so sharpe the conquerynge...
- Chaucer
Old 09-05-2007, 12:47 PM   #17
monkeyhanga
Dojo: Kazoku Ryu Hartlepool
United Kingdom

You say that waiting until Shodan to wear a hakama is an ego trip, then you seem to imply that the biggest driver for you choice of gi/hakama etc. is to 'look nice'. Why does it matter if you look nice?
Will you be upset when your new expensive gi gets sweaty and crumpled?
My advice would be to get a comfortable, reasonably priced 'judo' gi and not worry about how you look.
Concentrate on training, not on your image!
Old 09-05-2007, 11:47 PM   #18
dragonteeth
Dojo: Elkton Ki-Aikido
United_States

To address the original question of the thread: Eight people in my dojo have Bujin hakama of varying styles and ages, and we are all pleased with them. Some of the hakama, but not all, stained the underlying gi, belt, and other underclothing. We have also had one himo come slightly detached at one corner that was easily repaired. In general, however, they all have stood up very well, showing minimal wear even after several years of use.

You might also consider the Bujin gi. I have several gi, both judo-style and karate-style, and the Bujin is the most comfortable by far. I have the 12 oz, which is surprisingly very cool in the summer because it stands away from your skin allowing better air flow. To me, the preference of judo vs karate gi is a personal question. I find double weave judo gi to be stiflingly hot in the summer, but not quite as uncomfortable as a thinner weight karate gi that seems to cling like Saranwrap when damp with sweat. My back up gi is an older single weave Mike Swain judo gi which has held up remarkably well over for over a decade. It was my husband's before I inherited it, and still looks brand new. I did, however, cover up the tacky shoulder label with our dojo patch.

You might also consider the question of whether you plan to do any future cross training in another martial art, and if so, which one. I would feel very comfortable in my 12oz Bujin practicing karate, and have felt confident challenging it with the occasional jujitsu or judo workout.

I'd avoid wasting money on a haori. Use it instead to buy some nice practice weapons and perhaps a nice weapons bag. We put in an order for some custom weapons from SeiDoKai out of Guelph, Canada, and were very pleased with what Kim Taylor supplied. That would definitely be more useful than a haori.

As to the wearing of hakama by mudansha - our dojo does not require those below shodan to wear hakama simply because of the expense and hassle of owning, wearing, and caring for a hakama. If a student wishes to invest in a hakama and learn to wear it correctly, the wearing is seen as a demonstration of a little extra dedication on that student's part. Our dojo founder felt it was important to honor O-Sensei's preference that all who trained with him wear hakama, but understands that not everyone has the means to invest in a quality garment. Nevertheless, when visiting other dojo, we try to honor their particular dress code where hakama are concerned. The wearing of the hakama is important to us, but is not more important than showng respect for others and their customs and opinions on the matter.

Hope that helpful in some way. Good luck, and have fun shopping!
Lori
Old 09-06-2007, 02:06 AM   #19
rdbateman

wow, thanks for the insight. How did the Bujin Hakamas stain your gi's though? Yeah, Im looking for something breathable though, and it sounds like neither the bujin judo or karate gi is comfortable during the summer. Anything good from budostuff or Torzando?
Old 09-06-2007, 09:33 AM   #20
DanielR

Hey Robert,
I have Tozando's Deluxe Aikido Gi Jacket as well as their Seersucker Aikido Gi Jacket . I prefer a heavier gi, even when it's hot, so their deluxe jacket is my favorite. The quality is superb.
I recently bought a new Bujin's classic twill hakama. I wore it several times thus far, and it doesn't seem to be staining my gi.

Daniel
Old 09-07-2007, 04:23 AM   #21
rdbateman

I like the seersucker jacket as well. How does that hold up? I hear most people do not like seersucker fabric because it looks wrinkly. Is it that way with your jacket? As far as breathability, how does the deluxe compare to the seersucker. Also, comparing Budostuff to Torzando, it looks like budostuff has an advantage because of its attention to full customization. How is it with Torzando equipment?
Old 09-07-2007, 09:33 AM   #22
SmilingNage
United_States

I prefer the JK hvy weight judo gi myself. I have used them for 11 yrs and never had a problem. My original GI lasted 8 yrs of heavy use. For 45 bucks, its what you want at the price you want.
Draw backs:
1 they will shrink if you dont know how to handle your dogi with the initial washing.
2 Get very heavy and clinging when you sweat in them
3 If you train in hot, humid conditions they become like mini saunas. Though I must say I like it like that. I even wore my hvy weight GI to train in FLA..

I do own a blend karate gi that I will use in the dead heat of summer for weapons work only. I like the freedom of motion when training with weapons. I dont think they hold up well under rigorous training conditions such as dojos that use alot of throws that require grabbing the gi during the throw.

My Point, why spend a ton of money on a Gi? If you have the cash and wont miss it then go ahead,Otherwise dont. If you take care of your Dogi you will look just fine, ie wash them regularly, fold them after every use, dont let them sit your dogi bag to ferment, Iron them when necessary. Dont buy a Gi for a look thats abit silly. Trust me people wont be looking at your gi when you just been sent flying across the dojo. If you practice hard enough you shouldnt be standing still long enough for people to see your gi.

Dont make me, make you, grab my wrist.
Old 09-07-2007, 09:54 AM   #23
DanielR

The seersucker does look wrinkly and less, erm, "classic", than the deluxe jacket. I found the seersucker jacket harder to "keep together" during vigorous practice, but that might be because mine is a bit larger than what I need. It certainly feels much lighter, and I suppose it's more breathable. If you're interested in Tozando products and have special customization requests, I'd suggest contacting them directly, their customer support is prompt and friendly.

Daniel
Old 09-09-2007, 06:19 PM   #24
rdbateman

so what gi would you suggest that looks classic and is breathable?
Old 09-09-2007, 08:03 PM   #25
dragonteeth
Dojo: Elkton Ki-Aikido
United_States

The traditional indigo dye used on some hakama (not just the Bujin) can stain both gi and mats when it is new. Our Saturday morning practices tend to be a little more intense (and long - 3 hours), and the hakama tended to bleed a little where the sweat had soaked through my gi. It was mostly limited to the area above and below my belt where it was in tightest contact.