Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Language

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 11-30-2008, 10:03 AM   #1
Demetrio Cereijo
Spain
Kokyu

Yesterday a training partner pointed me to Nelson's "The Original Modern Reader's Japanese-English Character Dictionary: Classic Edition" (Tuttle Publishing, 2004 ISBN 0804819653, 9780804819657) entry about "kokyu".

In said entry kokyu is translated as: breath, respiration; knack, secret; tone, time; kokyu suru breathe.

(bold mine)

So he left me more confused as I usually am. If someone asks what i.e. kokyu nage means can I say it means "knack throw" or "secret throw" instead the usual "breath throw"?

Last edited by Demetrio Cereijo : 11-30-2008 at 10:06 AM.
Old 11-30-2008, 05:45 PM   #2
Bob Blackburn
United_States
Re: Kokyu

Welcome to Japanese. Breath and respiration are the primary meanings. There are usually infrequently used meanings for many words.
Old 11-30-2008, 06:07 PM   #3
Demetrio Cereijo
Spain

But are those infrequently used meanings more or less appropiate than the usual one, in this case "breath"?. Was "breath throw" the chosen translation because breath is the more usual meaning of kokyu?

Anyway, I think I have to read this other thread more carefully (note to self: use search function next time).
Old 11-30-2008, 07:27 PM   #4
GeneC
United_States

According to the produers of Keijutsukai Aikido, Kokyu has been incorrectly translated to mean breath.They say the more correct meaning of the Kanji symbols for Kokyu is to be in harmony with the powers of the Universe. So, a kokyu throw would be a power throw.

Only between a single breath is Yin/Yang in harmony
Emotion is pure energy flowing feely thru the body-Dan Millman
Old 11-30-2008, 08:43 PM   #5
Chris Li

Dojo: Aikido Sangenkai
United_States

Quote:
Clarence Couch wrote: View Post
According to the produers of Keijutsukai Aikido, Kokyu has been incorrectly translated to mean breath.They say the more correct meaning of the Kanji symbols for Kokyu is to be in harmony with the powers of the Universe. So, a kokyu throw would be a power throw.
Here's a copy of my post to the other Kokyu thread:
Sort of - "kokyu" means "breathing" (as in "respiration"), and saying that people's "breathing" "matches" is another way of saying that they get along well together (ie, they are "in harmony"). I wouldn't read too much into it, anymore than I would to the phrase "get along like a house on fire" .
Best,

Chris

Old 12-03-2008, 11:11 AM   #6
GeneC
United_States

So it says breath and matching ( being in harmony with) their breathing? Hmmm, not harmonious life force?

Old 12-03-2008, 05:36 PM   #7
ChrisHein

Dojo: Aikido of Fresno
United_States

All of those things point to rhythm in my opinion, which is also what I would define Aiki to be all about.

It's often said when something is "knacky" that it takes a certain rhythm. Breathing is super rhythmic, time and tone are at the core of rhythm. I don't know about secret.... Maybe added by someone who doesn't understand rhythm (Ha).

In an interview by Meik Skoss of Sawada Hanae, in Koryu Bujutsu, Classical Warrior Traditions of Japan. He asked her about aikido technique, she said: "When you speak of matching, if your kokyu, or breathing, does not match then you do not match. You are thinking merely of form, aren't you? But in order to do aiki, both your spirit and that of your partner must enter into play and then come together. When you study aiki, this is what you are studying."

Kokyu seems to be an integral part of Aiki(do) from this.

Old 12-10-2008, 08:31 AM   #8
Stefan Stenudd

Dojo: Enighet Malmo Sweden
Sweden

Quote:
So it says breath and matching ( being in harmony with) their breathing? Hmmm, not harmonious life force?
Well, the Japanese and Chinese ideas of the life force are so similar to breath that this might be kind of implied.

Stefan Stenudd
My aikido website: https://www.stenudd.com/aikido/
My YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/Aikidostenudd
Old 12-10-2008, 09:39 AM   #9
Erick Mead

Dojo: Big Green Drum (W. Florida Aikikai)
United_States

Quote:
Chris Hein wrote: View Post
In an interview by Meik Skoss of Sawada Hanae, in Koryu Bujutsu, Classical Warrior Traditions of Japan. He asked her about aikido technique, she said: "When you speak of matching, if your kokyu, or breathing, does not match then you do not match. You are thinking merely of form, aren't you? But in order to do aiki, both your spirit and that of your partner must enter into play and then come together. When you study aiki, this is what you are studying."

An excellent quote. I could not agree more. Since I just typed out where my thought is at present on ki and kokyu, interms very similar to hers, I won't belabor it, but simply cross-post:

http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showpo...3&postcount=21

Cordially,

Erick Mead
一隻狗可久里馬房但他也不是馬的.
Old 12-10-2008, 02:05 PM   #10
GeneC
United_States

Quote:
Stefan Stenudd wrote: View Post
Well, the Japanese and Chinese ideas of the life force are so similar to breath that this might be kind of implied.
Well, I prefer to understand it as more than simply breathing and the Kokyu throw more than just the "breath throw". To me it means being in harmony with life force energy. Like Lao Tsu said," All beings support Yin and embrace Yang and the interplay between these two forces fill the Universe. Yet, only at the still, between breathing in and breathing out, can one capture these two in perfect harmony."
To me, that's Kokyu and that's where the outlet to Ki is. Now, I'll (gladly) spend the rest of my life realizing it.

Old 12-10-2008, 03:46 PM   #11
Mike Sigman
United_States

Quote:

You know, I would be careful of quotes like this. I have mentioned this before a number of times, but the translations of a lot of westerners who don't really have kokyu/jin skills or understand exactly what is meant idiomatically by "ki" or words like "kokkoro" when they are used to indicate the intention-strength... those translations can be mis-leading.

In fact, pretty much the whole Chinese martial-arts world was shot in the foot for so long because of similar misunderstandings about "jin" and "energy", "qi" and "spirit", "breath", and so on. Not saying the translation is wrong, but I'd be very careful of it until I determined what the translator actually knew in terms of skills and so forth.

As we've witnessed in the last few years, there are a LOT of learned opinions by 'seniors' on simple ki/kokyu skills that have not panned out in terms of results/functional-ability. I.e., I'm saying be careful before you wander the graveyard of sayings looking for a headstone that agrees with your own perceptions.

Best.

Mike Sigman
Old 12-10-2008, 05:48 PM   #12
Aikibu
Dojo: West Wind Dojo Santa Monica California
United_States

Quote:
Well, I prefer to understand it as more than simply breathing and the Kokyu throw more than just the "breath throw". To me it means being in harmony with life force energy. Like Lao Tsu said," All beings support Yin and embrace Yang and the interplay between these two forces fill the Universe. Yet, only at the still, between breathing in and breathing out, can one capture these two in perfect harmony."
To me, that's Kokyu and that's where the outlet to Ki is. Now, I'll (gladly) spend the rest of my life realizing it.
Concur.

William Hazen
Old 12-10-2008, 06:14 PM   #13
Mike Sigman
United_States

Quote:
To me it means being in harmony with life force energy.
That sounds really good, Clarence. Could you explain to us what it means? It sounds almost Zen.

Regards,

Mike Sigman
Old 12-11-2008, 10:11 AM   #14
ChrisHein

United_States

Mike,
Maybe you should look up Meik Skoss.
www.koryu.com

Old 12-11-2008, 10:20 AM   #15
Mike Sigman
United_States

Quote:
Mike,
Maybe you should look up Meik Skoss.
www.koryu.com
I know who Meik Skoss is. I can give you a number of names of experts who have written books and who "studied overseas" and so on, but we'd be getting into an "argument by authority" tangent. If you see something the Meik Skoss wrote that you agree with and which you think is pertinent to the discussion, why not state your reasoning, etc., instead of suggesting that people go "look up" someone?

Regards,

Mike Sigman
Old 12-11-2008, 10:22 AM   #16
Aikibu
Dojo: West Wind Dojo Santa Monica California
United_States

Quote:
Mike Sigman wrote: View Post
That sounds really good, Clarence. Could you explain to us what it means? It sounds almost Zen.

Regards,

Mike Sigman
Why ask for an explaination when you already know???
Interesting...

William Hazen
Old 12-11-2008, 11:19 AM   #17
Mike Sigman
United_States

Quote:
William Hazen wrote: View Post
Why ask for an explaination when you already know???
Interesting...

William Hazen
Bye, Jun. This is the passive-aggressive stuff that just gets old.

Mike Sigman
Old 12-11-2008, 05:26 PM   #18
ChrisHein

United_States

He's the guy who wrote/translated the quote I put in above. That's why I said you should look him up, you questioned his understanding.

Old 12-11-2008, 06:45 PM   #19
Mike Sigman
United_States

Quote:
He's the guy who wrote/translated the quote I put in above. That's why I said you should look him up, you questioned his understanding.
Chris, you and Meik Skoss are more than welcome to come on QiJin and give us the lowdown on internal strength, but the question still stands (and I'm off this thread and pretty much off the passive-aggressive-controlled AikiWeb, for that matter) ... I asked you functionally how it was pertinent to the discussion. If you look at my post, I caveated about Skoss and spoke in general terms. I've read Skoss' stuff, seen his videos, and I know people (experts) who know him personally. I have a good feeling for what he knows, but that STILL has nothing to do with the idea of using argument by authority as a way to argue a discussion. It's still wrong.

Regards,

Mike Sigman
Old 12-12-2008, 05:22 AM   #20
C. David Henderson
United_States

Mike,

Thanks for sticking around, even a bit.

Regards,

DH
Old 12-12-2008, 09:11 PM   #21
Demetrio Cereijo
Spain

Quote:
David Henderson wrote: View Post
Mike,

Thanks for sticking around, even a bit.

Regards,

DH
Seconded.
Old 12-20-2008, 11:18 AM   #22
GeneC
United_States

Quote:
Mike Sigman wrote: View Post
That sounds really good, Clarence. Could you explain to us what it means? It sounds almost ZenRegards,Mike Sigman
Sure, now I'm far from realizing it, my understanding is to be aware of the energy that's around us and when the "life force"energy is negative, we're aware of that and endeavor to find it's source and maybe change it (if possible) so that we're in a flow of positive energy. If we need for the energy to flow thru us (say, in the form of an explosive action), then according the Lao Tsu, "at the still point, between breathing in and breathing out, is Yin and Yang in perfect harmony" and I believe that we can summon that "life force " energy and have it flow thru us and manifest itself into that explosive action.

Old 12-21-2008, 04:02 PM   #23
eyrie

Australia

As much as I enjoy some of this vague, airy-fairy, "new-age" stuff, I don't think it'll get people very far...

Ignatius
Old 12-22-2008, 10:28 AM   #24
Ron Tisdale
Dojo: Doshinkan dojo in Roxborough, Pa
United_States

Quote:
As much as I enjoy some of this vague, airy-fairy, "new-age" stuff, I don't think it'll get people very far...
Huh, in fact, I'm sure it won't.

But the ones who actually seem to be able to DO keep getting blasted, so one wonders how long they will keep coming back. Oh Well...

Best,
Ron

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
"The higher a monkey climbs, the more you see of his behind."
St. Bonaventure (ca. 1221-1274)
Old 12-22-2008, 03:42 PM   #25
aikilouis
France

If Mike Sigman, Dan Harden, Rob John, Toby Threadgill, George Ledyard or Ellis Amdur (and many others experienced and knowledgeable people within and outside aikido, of course) stopped sharing their findings because of the arrogance or the ignorance of some, this would be a terrible damage done to this community.

Some of us beginners follow closely what they offer, even if they are not very vocal, and are able to get past the occasional harsh judgements. After all, Morihei Ueshiba or Sokaku Takeda were not famous for being very diplomatic.

I don't want valuable exchange and information here in Aikiweb be replaced by "aikido is whatever you decide to do", "my sensei is more badass than yours" or other types of nonsense.