Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Spiritual

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 12-09-2008, 03:57 PM   #1
dave9nine
Dojo: Aikido Institute - Oakland
United_States
"Gassho"

Hi,
I was first gonna post asking what it's called when one offers humility in connection with the gesture of two hands clasped together at chest or head level; i did some searching first and found that it is called Gassho. Thus combined with a bow it is Gassho Rei.
My question: I've been told that to make this gesture towards a person is inappropriate because the gesture is reserved for the deceased, or some designated spirit (O-sensei, when bowing towards the shomen of the dojo)--is this true?

I have seen others do a sort-of gassho gesture towards each other while standing---is there a difference?

Is this gesture tied to Shinto ritual?, or is it a more general gestrure--the same found in other (eastern) cultures?

Can anyone shed light on this custom?

thanks!

-dave
Old 12-09-2008, 07:19 PM   #2
Joe McParland

Dojo: Sword Mountain Aikido & Zen
United_States
Re: "Gassho"

Seen it in Zen (sometimes the one-handed variety)---between monks, between monk and lay person, and between lay people---and in Yoga. Held the door for an elderly Korean fellow at a grocery store and he gave one such quick but beautiful bow in thanks. Haven't seen it in Aikido yet though.

Old 12-09-2008, 08:14 PM   #3
Voitokas

United_States

Buddhist, I think, rather than shinto. We give a formal gassho to the shomen before and and after practise, and I have seen Indians use a lower gassho for greeting, but I've never seen that on the mat...

I am not an expert
Old 12-16-2008, 08:06 PM   #4
johnbrandt
United_States

It is not a typical Korean custom by any means.
Old 12-16-2008, 10:58 PM   #5
Janet Rosen

In my job as nurse case manager with frail low income seniors I visit a couple of elderly Chinese Buddhist nuns at a local monastery. They greet me with this bow and gesture and I return it in kind.

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield
Old 12-17-2008, 08:06 AM   #6
GeneC
United_States

Well, there is this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buddhis...and_concepts#G

Only between a single breath is Yin/Yang in harmony
Emotion is pure energy flowing feely thru the body-Dan Millman
Old 12-18-2008, 04:05 PM   #7
Ethan Weisgard
Dojo: Copenhagen Aiki Shuren Dojo
Denmark

In Japan, when receiving important things, you sometimes see the receiver put his hands together in gassho before receiving the item (usually a gift or something of this sort). I have had a Japanese student training with me (Yondan rank, from Kyoto) who had the nice custom of putting his hands together in gassho when bowing (zarei) to his partner after each technique (indicating thanks). When you say "itadakimasu" before starting to eat your meal in Japan, some people put their hands together in gassho. So basically, I see it as a means of indicating thankfulness in certain special situations.

In aiki,

Ethan Weisgard