Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Non-Aikido Martial Traditions

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 04-03-2010, 12:26 AM   #1
DDATFUS
Dojo: n/a
United_States
Seeking internal power information (preferably) in VA/DC/MD area

Back in the summer of '08 I attended an Aunkai seminar in the DC area. I was very impressed by Akuzawa's abilities and felt some intriguing parallels between the training methods of the Aunkai and training methods used in the koryu that I study. I am interested in exploring the world of internal power in greater depth and I'd like to get a better idea for what my options for instruction might be.

I am currently living in the central Virginia area, a couple of hours south of DC. I am willing to travel to train (and do so on at least a somewhat regular basis), but work, my normal training schedule, and my budget all impose certain restrictions on how much traveling I am able to do (twice-a-year month-long visits to Chen village, for instance, would be a bit tricky to manage right now).

I'd love to find a skilled instructor or study group with whom I could train on a regular basis, but given the (apparent) rarity of quality internal power instruction in the states I'm not optimistic about finding anyone in my area. Still, I thought I'd check and see if anyone on the forum has suggestions.

Private messages are welcome.

best,
David Sims
Old 04-03-2010, 07:45 AM   #2
Budd

Dojo: Taikyoku Budo & Kiko - NY, PA, MD
United_States
Re: Seeking internal power information (preferably) in VA/DC/MD area

There's people in the DC area working on Aunkai stuff. There's also a Mike Sigman seminar in the beginning of May that would offer another perspective. The Chen taiji big dogs roll through DC every year it seems as well - might be worth getting hands on with them to get an idea of how different this stuff can be.
Old 04-03-2010, 09:17 AM   #3
DDATFUS
United_States

I hadn't heard about the seminar with Mr. Sigman yet; do you have a link with more information? Also, any idea who hosts the Chen taiji gentlemen?
Old 04-03-2010, 08:50 PM   #4
Rayleen Dehmke
Canada

I never heard of Aunkai before, can't help you there. I am intrigued by internal power now however. I will have to find out more. Hope you get the information you seek.
Old 04-03-2010, 09:44 PM   #5
Kevin Leavitt

Dojo: Team Combat USA
United_States

There are a number of guys in the DC area that work on this in various ways. The issue you will run into is that most of them are busy, most of them would say that their skills are not worthy of a visit focus on simply internal skills. They are not going to hang themselves out as IT/IS experts and would probably tell you to visit one of the big dawgs when they roll through the area

The real big issue is also that most of us are struggling with our own practices and training to keep it straight and man...only so man hours in the day!

There were a few guys in the area that were getting together occassionally to practice things...they read aikiweb so if they are interested, I am sure they will get in touch.

Old 04-04-2010, 07:06 PM   #6
Budd

Dojo: Taikyoku Budo & Kiko - NY, PA, MD
United_States

Here's the link to the Mike Sigman seminar - no idea if there's any space left, but here you go:

http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17478
Old 04-05-2010, 05:36 PM   #7
DDATFUS
United_States

Thanks to everyone for the helpful responses. I'm still seeking more information, but I'm well ahead of where I was when I first posted.
Old 04-05-2010, 09:26 PM   #8
Kevin Leavitt

Dojo: Team Combat USA
United_States

David, just noticed you are from Charlottesville. Just drove through a few hours ago. Cool. I will be moving back down there in a few years. Maybe we will meet up someday!

Old 04-06-2010, 08:59 PM   #9
DDATFUS
United_States

Hi Kevin,

It would be great to meet up, though I suspect that in a few year's time I'll be looking to move up to the DC area. I love Charlottesville and I love my work here, but making the drive to train is getting a bit old.
Old 04-07-2010, 03:57 AM   #10
statisticool
United_States

Quote:
David Sims wrote: View Post
I'd love to find a skilled instructor or study group with whom I could train on a regular basis, but given the (apparent) rarity of quality internal power instruction in the states I'm not optimistic about finding anyone in my area.
Hi David,

I know a few excellent aikido, taijiquan, and karate teachers in the DC Metro area. I'm not exactly sure what you mean by "internal power" though. Feel free to PM, and I can PM you some training sites that I know about.

Justin

A secret of internal strength?:
"Let your weight from the crotch area BE in his hands."
Old 04-11-2010, 10:31 PM   #11
asiawide

There is a guy Alex Lee. Probably he's in Maryland now.

You can see his posting here... and there's his email address too.

http://www.aunkai.net/community/modu...art=8&bbs_id=1
Old 04-30-2010, 12:53 PM   #12
Alex Lee

Thanks folks. David and I got to meet.

If anyone else is interested, I am trying to get together something little more regular of a study session. Its more Aunkai focus but I'm open other formats.

It really helps to work with different body and skill types to gauge progression so more the merrier.