Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > AikiWeb System

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 08-03-2003, 12:09 AM   #1
AikiWeb System
AikiWeb Poll for the week of August 3, 2003:

How dangerous do you believe everyday aikido training is?
  • I don't do aikido
  • Extremely dangerous
  • Very dangerous
  • Somewhat dangerous
  • Not very dangerous
  • Not at all dangerous
Here are the current results.
Old 08-04-2003, 01:11 AM   #2
Nacho
Until this very moment there are 3 votes for "extremely dangerous". It must be difficult for those people families..he lefts at night with his aikido bag, and they wonder if he will make it and return home.

The next poll should be "how sincere are you when voting?"

PS: I think you may add the option "As dangerous as Michael Jackson holding his baby"

Last edited by Nacho : 08-04-2003 at 01:17 AM.
Old 08-04-2003, 01:33 AM   #3
YEME
Dojo: South West Aiki
I normally wouldn't consider it any more dangerous than crossing the street but i had to vote: somewhat dangerous

on account of a pair of broken ribs and torn ligament in right shoulder.

but i'm curious too as to where the people who voted in the extreme train...

do you go out everyday and pick fights with Mike Tyson????

Life is pleasant. Death is peaceful. It's the transition that's troublesome.
--Isaac Asimov

Old 08-04-2003, 01:52 AM   #4
sanosuke
Dojo: Seigi Dojo
Indonesia
Quote:
on account of a pair of broken ribs and torn ligament in right shoulder.
my god Anna, do you train in MMA Aikido or what?

Anyway, as long as you sincere enough in training and don't resist when you are already controlled by your nage, you'll find aikido training is very safe.
Old 08-04-2003, 07:56 AM   #5
Nacho_mx
Dojo: Federación Mexicana de Aikido
MMA Aikido?

Seriously, the drive to school and back is way more dangerous.
Old 08-05-2003, 07:28 AM   #6
Dave Miller

Dojo: UCO Budo Society
I chose, "Not very dangerous" because so long as both uke and nage have a basic level of competency, it is extremely safe. The most dangerous situations I have been in involve folks who either didn't know what they were doing (tweeked my shoulder on a simple kuzushi) or someone who thought they knew what they were doing but were so absorbed in the technique that he didn't support me properly in the fall for tenshi nage.

DAVE

If you're working too hard, you're doing it wrong.
Old 08-08-2003, 06:53 AM   #7
Budd

Dojo: Taikyoku Budo & Kiko - NY, PA, MD
United_States
Re: How dangerous . . .

I voted in the 'somewhat dangerous' category because I think if uke is giving you a strong attack, then there always exists the 'possibility' of some injury. If uke doesn't have good ukemi skills and nage is not 'taking care' of uke, then there exists a possibility that uke could be injured in the fall/pin. If uke is giving a strong attack with intention to do damage and nage is having an off night or not blending correctly, there might be a good WHACK forthcoming. I think I would rather get somewhat bopped with an honest attack on the mat then take a hit for real and be completely surprised.

While I think a certain amount of soreness, bruises, etc. is going to result from serious martial training, that doesn't mean that you can't create an mutual environment of safety. For the practice to have integrity, however, I believe it's important to go out to the edge from time to time, which, in my mind, does lend itself to the 'somewhat dangerous' category. This is not to say that I approve of folks that just beat on each other, but the nice place about the dojo is that, hopefully, you've built up a level of trust with your training partners so that you can really 'bring it' from time to time and walk that edge.

Best/Budd

Taikyoku Mind & Body
http://taikyokumindandbody.com