Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 07-18-2003, 05:55 AM   #1
ronmar
Hardest training Dojos

Can anyone tell me the locations of the UK dojo's that they think train using the hardest style of aikido/aikijutsu. Any details of class times and training methods would also be much appreciated. I would also be interested to hear of any progressive dojos which focus on real world application if there are any.

If you are not in the UK then tell me about any in your own country. Please note I am only really interested to hear about places that train full out with no compromises.

Thanks for your help
Ron
Old 07-18-2003, 06:12 AM   #2
PeterR

Dojo: Shodokan Honbu (Osaka)
Japan
Re: Hardest training Dojos

Quote:
Ron Marshall (ronmar) wrote:
Please note I am only really interested to hear about places that train full out with no compromises.
There are always compromises.

Peter Rehse Shodokan Aikido
Old 07-18-2003, 07:37 AM   #3
Jason Tonks
Dojo: Bracknell Ellis School of Traditonal Aikido
Alright there Ron. We train fairly hard at our dojo. Our training methods are mainly grounded upon the teachings of Kenshiro Abbe Sensei, the first Aikido master in the UK. If you are interested our website is at www.angelfire.com/al/ellisaikido.

All the best

Jason T
Old 07-18-2003, 09:52 AM   #4
ronmar
any more?

Thanks very much. Any more?
Old 07-18-2003, 09:59 AM   #5
C. Emerson
Dojo: Emerson's Martial Arts
For ten years my school was on the 4th floor of the ymca. It was all windows. In the summer it was terribly hot, no air conditioning. We would actually ring out our gi, before puting it in our bag.

The winters were tough too. There was next to no heat, all of the windows leaked and just didn't hold any heat in. The problem was, not getting warmed up enough, pulled or straining muscles. Toes that were numb, generally uncomfortable.

-Chad
Old 07-18-2003, 10:05 AM   #6
ronmar
Sorry I meant hard style, not general hardship. I mean dojos who don't go softly, pull punches, let you out of the technique etc. I'm interested in any good teachers who teach a more aikijutsu style and also realistic sparring and aplications.
Old 07-18-2003, 10:12 AM   #7
C. Emerson
Dojo: Emerson's Martial Arts
I know, it just came to my mind so I thought I would share, sorry for getting off of the subject
Old 07-18-2003, 10:25 AM   #8
ronmar
I appologise for being terse, I'm in a bit of a rush and was hoping I'd see some answers before I have to go. Any contribution is interesting and I certainly appreciate what you went through in that place. I used to go to a club in the basement of to a heated swimmingpool with no windows. It was so humid people fainted sometimes.
Old 07-18-2003, 10:42 AM   #9
rachmass
Dojo: Aikido of Cincinnati/Huron Valley Aikikai
Ron, I have never trained in the UK, but I know some very good aikidoka, one of whom trains with Tony Cassells Sensei, and I think they have a very intense and realistic training style. Don't know where in Englad they are, but you can try a search on AikiWeb.

best,

Rachel
Old 07-18-2003, 11:29 AM   #10
happysod
Dojo: Kiburn, London, UK
United Kingdom
Hi Ron, I'm assuming you actually practice aikido as most dojos I know will not allow beginners (even if good martial artists) practice in their more advanced classes (sometimes this extends to non-members). With that caveat, some possibilities (which I've been to) are:

1. As I mentioned, there's one of Chiba's dojos in Maida Vale, London - everything you'd expect including the "pain is part of what we do" and support bandages go well with hakomas.

2. There's a yoshinkan dojo in West-Hampstead, London - solid aikido with good instructors and enthusiastic students, but as I only attended a begginers taster, couldn't say what their advanced stuff is like.

3. There used to be a nice aiki-jitsu dojo in Hull (ok, 10 years ago) - fast, fluid and happy to take it one step further.

4. You may want to ask "create_of_the_id" for where his lot are in the North-East. One of my old instructors from W/Bay joined this lot and was impressed and I have to say he had some aggression issues which meant survival became my main aim some nights.

5. I'd also suggest the Leeds BAF group, they're quite formal so I'd suggest contacting them first.

Sorry I can't come up with more, most of my old clubs seem to have passed away with their senseis (I've normally joined the looser independant groups). If possible, I would contact the sensei ahead of time to see if they're receptive to your aims.

(Wondering why I'm not suggesting our dojo? We're Ki so you'd be driven nuts by the swirls in our begginers/intermediate and our advanced class is for members only - sorry)
Old 07-18-2003, 11:40 PM   #11
bob_stra
Australia
Quote:
Chad Emerson (C. Emerson) wrote:
For ten years my school was on the 4th floor of the ymca. It was all windows. In the summer it was terribly hot, no air conditioning. We would actually ring out our gi, before puting it in our bag.

The winters were tough too. There was next to no heat, all of the windows leaked and just didn't hold any heat in. The problem was, not getting warmed up enough, pulled or straining muscles. Toes that were numb, generally uncomfortable.

-Chad
That's funny - I think you just described *my* dojo.

It's freezing when you get in. By the time everyone is set to go home, all the mirrors are fogged up and covered in steam ;-) Often times, you can see steam coming off of ppl. Which is kinda freaky.
Old 07-19-2003, 04:14 AM   #12
creinig
Dojo: Yoshinkan Würzburg
United Nations
Quote:
Ron Marshall (ronmar) wrote:
Sorry I meant hard style, not general hardship. I mean dojos who don't go softly, pull punches, let you out of the technique etc. I'm interested in any good teachers who teach a more aikijutsu style and also realistic sparring and aplications.
Well, I'm not sure about the "realistic sparring and applications" part, but you might want to have a look at any of the yoshinkan dojos in your area (see http://www.europeanaikido.com/ for a list).
Old 07-19-2003, 04:15 AM   #13
mj
There is a pretty hard one in Edinburgh.

here

Old 07-19-2003, 10:37 AM   #14
antdigoh
Hi there there Ron! I'm from Philippines and I've trained from the pioneers of Aikijutsu here in the Phils.; I mean not directly from the pioneers but from the direct student of those pioneers of Aikijutsu practitioners here in our country...I broke my elbow and left shoulder during my promotion to a next/higher or colored belt from white belt, don't know your standards of promotions. But here as what I've experienced from white to purple belt I've been injured so early in my training.

But now, I don't want my students to experience what I've suffered. I tried to explain to them the principle and the very essence of Aikido and it's actual application during a fight or street fighting. Not that I dare/pushed them to apply it actually outside the dojo or in the street. I tried to convince and let them understand the discipline they are into...about love and harmony.

I'ts just so frustrating that my seniors saw/(understand?) and practiced the arts differently. Though am not complaining, it led to a more broaden aspect of Aikido...

anton
Old 07-21-2003, 03:49 AM   #15
justinm
United Kingdom
We are quite soft. We try never to do hard things, other than hit the floor hard.

Does that count?

Justin McCarthy
Old 07-21-2003, 06:56 AM   #16
villrg0a

Dojo: Shuryukan Yoshinkai Aikido
Saudi Arabia
Try makoto dojo in the US. I've heard that their randori is quite hard, no holding out of punches, etc. regardless of sex and age. I think Larry Reynoso is the head there black belts are still tested by Seagal. here's a link

http://www.makotodojo.com/
Old 07-21-2003, 07:41 AM   #17
justinm
United Kingdom
Ron, out of interest, why the question? Are you looking for somewhere to train, or doing some research?

I think all dojo compromise to some degree - usually based on the experience of the people involved, to ensure training lasts more than one session.

I find most yoshinkan dojo consider all their practice to be based on real world application, and would not be suprised to find the same is true in most aikido dojo, whatever their style or association. Although their definition of real world application might differ from yours and mine.

cheers

Justin

Justin McCarthy
Old 07-21-2003, 08:57 AM   #18
ronmar
Thanks all for your responses. Some good suggestions there.
Quote:
why the question? Are you looking for somewhere to train, or doing some research?
A bit of both really. Its mostly just out of interest to see if there are any uk dojos practicing a very hard/realistic style of aikido because it would be interesting to try it. I'm also interested to try and use it in a mixed situation. I don't have much aikido experience at present but would be keen to try a different style of aikido. I came from judo and didn't really enjoy the aikido approach to begin with.
Old 07-21-2003, 09:57 AM   #19
justinm
United Kingdom
I've no judo experience, but came from a shotokan karate bckground. I've also had bad aikido experiences, including a couple of clubs I would not train at even if they were the only ones available.

Aikido is in some ways more diverse than most martial arts I've seen or experienced. Which is particularly interesting when you consider how recently the founder died.

Bear in mind that it may not be a different style but a different instructor that you should seek out.

Good luck in your search!

Justin

Justin McCarthy
Old 07-21-2003, 11:11 AM   #20
dion
Dojo: san diego aikikai
If you make it to the US and are on the west coast stop by our Dojo, San Diego Aikikai, we train hard.

San Diego Aikikai
Old 07-21-2003, 12:37 PM   #21
rachmass
Dojo: Aikido of Cincinnati/Huron Valley Aikikai
Hi Dion,

Thats why I recommended Tony Cassells Sensei; he's your teachers student too, and definately trains hard! Yes, and San Diego Aikikai will have the most awesome training.

best,

Rachel
Old 07-21-2003, 12:40 PM   #22
dion
Dojo: san diego aikikai
Hey Rachel,

I've never trainedthere myself but I've heard good things about it.

We always have one or two guys staying at our Dojo from there.

later

San Diego Aikikai