Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 08-31-2009, 04:49 PM   #1
mazhar dardari
Dojo: Aikido Dardari Ryu Academy (Bushido)
Syria
YouTube: Aikido in War

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3odfmaUQIM
Old 08-31-2009, 07:25 PM   #2
Shadowfax

Dojo: Allegheny Aikido, Pitsburgh PA
United_States
Re: Aikido in War

Pretty neat video. The horsemanship was kinda getting to me but the aikido was entertaining.
Old 08-31-2009, 07:45 PM   #3
lbb
United_States

That was almost as good as Gymkata.
Old 08-31-2009, 07:58 PM   #4
C. David Henderson
United_States

If I'm not mistaken, and I very well may be, the camel fell over in astonishment.
Old 08-31-2009, 08:31 PM   #5
phitruong
Dojo: Charlotte Aikikai Agatsu Dojo
United_States

whoa! are those Romans? Roman legionnaires without shields? long swords?

entertaining
Old 08-31-2009, 11:02 PM   #6
Abasan
Dojo: Aiki Shoshinkan, Aiki Kenkyukai
Malaysia
Re: YouTube: Aikido in War

For a second there I thought the other thread's aikido short film was done!

Hmm interesting video. For fun or is it for a real show on tv/movie?

Draw strength from stillness. Learn to act without acting. And never underestimate a samurai cat.
Old 09-22-2009, 11:18 PM   #7
Hebrew Hammer

Dojo: Lava Fitness (The Boxing Club)
United_States

I actually think this was a better production than 'Alexander'. At least I didn't have to suffer through one of Angelina Jolie's horrible accents.

Stay Cut,

The Hebrew Hammer
Old 09-23-2009, 04:52 AM   #8
mazhar dardari
Dojo: Aikido Dardari Ryu Academy (Bushido)
Syria

Quote:
Kevin Hagens wrote: View Post
I actually think this was a better production than 'Alexander'. At least I didn't have to suffer through one of Angelina Jolie's horrible accents.
Thanks Man , you know I'm looking forward to go to Hollywood for Industry fighting in the movies, Then I will be meeting Angelina Jolie and I will explain to her your think for horrible accents.
Old 09-23-2009, 09:20 AM   #9
sorokod
United Kingdom

Quote:
Phi Truong wrote: View Post
whoa! are those Romans? Roman legionnaires without shields? long swords?
With Allah hu akbar? Crusaders more likely.

Old 09-23-2009, 11:39 AM   #10
mjhacker

Dojo: Renshinkan
United_States

Quote:
Mary Malmros wrote: View Post
That was almost as good as Gymkata.
Hold your tongue. Gymkata was the Supreme Ultimate!!

Michael Hacker
Jiyūshin-ryū AikiBudō - Renshinkan
http://renshindojo.com/
自由心流合気武道 - 鍛心館

The Language of Aikido
http://thelanguageofaikido.com/
Old 09-23-2009, 12:45 PM   #11
lbb
United_States

I did say "almost", Michael. I'd say it aspires to a Gymkata-esque level of...of...of...

...words fail me.
Old 09-23-2009, 12:59 PM   #12
dps

You do not think much of the martial art Gymkata? Is it because there is never a pommel horse around when you need one and carry one with you isn't easy?

David

Go ahead, tread on me.
Old 09-24-2009, 08:35 AM   #13
Abasan
Dojo: Aiki Shoshinkan, Aiki Kenkyukai
Malaysia

Quote:
Watch your mouth buddy , she does a better job at her accent than Ewan McGregor in Angels and Demons... who first started out as an Italian and ended up as an Irish...

Draw strength from stillness. Learn to act without acting. And never underestimate a samurai cat.
Old 09-26-2009, 03:21 AM   #14
Arashi Kumomura
Dojo: Tsuki Kage
United_States

That was pretty awesome. I enjoyed that a lot. : )

(my comment on youtube: Contrary to what a lot of people seem to think, I found that this offered a side of the martial art that is seldom displayed and it was really neat to see it portrayed like this.

People should keep in mind that they're are different styles of Aikido, some more combat-oriented than others.

I've never seen a large-scale "Aikido display" like this and I thought it was very interesting and for the most part, pretty well done. It actually showed how Aikido concepts can apply in such a situation.)
Old 09-27-2009, 01:54 AM   #15
Maarten De Queecker
Dojo: Aikikai Gent, Brugse Aikido Vereniging
Belgium

Quote:
Storm Rhode wrote: View Post
That was pretty awesome. I enjoyed that a lot. : )

(my comment on youtube: Contrary to what a lot of people seem to think, I found that this offered a side of the martial art that is seldom displayed and it was really neat to see it portrayed like this.

People should keep in mind that they're are different styles of Aikido, some more combat-oriented than others.

I've never seen a large-scale "Aikido display" like this and I thought it was very interesting and for the most part, pretty well done. It actually showed how Aikido concepts can apply in such a situation.)
It shows how it can work if your opponents are a) incredibly lousy and slow sword fighters/martial artists who leave themselves full of openings all the time, b) clearly don't have the slightest intention of killing you, c) honorable warriors who would never, ever backstab anyone because that's "so not cool".

All in all, good demonstration but if you want aikido on a battlefield, I think you're better off watching "the last samurai".
Old 09-27-2009, 03:06 PM   #16
Arashi Kumomura
Dojo: Tsuki Kage
United_States

Quote:
Maarten De Queecker wrote: View Post
It shows how it can work if your opponents are a) incredibly lousy and slow sword fighters/martial artists who leave themselves full of openings all the time, b) clearly don't have the slightest intention of killing you, c) honorable warriors who would never, ever backstab anyone because that's "so not cool".

All in all, good demonstration but if you want aikido on a battlefield, I think you're better off watching "the last samurai".
Haha. I tried to keep in consideration how very choreographed it was. But I do feel, though it may not have been so displayed in the video and I may just be deluded with misconceptions about aikido, that a lot of the motions and techniques we learn are applicable in a battle such as this (assuming the opponents aren't so lousy and slow). : )

The fact that no one was stabbed from behind while pulling a technique did bother me, though. I felt it took a little from the small amount of realism it already had.

Where was aikido used in "The Last Samurai"?
Old 09-27-2009, 03:47 PM   #17
Maarten De Queecker
Belgium

Quote:
Haha. I tried to keep in consideration how very choreographed it was. But I do feel, though it may not have been so displayed in the video and I may just be deluded with misconceptions about aikido, that a lot of the motions and techniques we learn are applicable in a battle such as this (assuming the opponents aren't so lousy and slow). : )

The fact that no one was stabbed from behind while pulling a technique did bother me, though. I felt it took a little from the small amount of realism it already had.

Either the moment Cruise is having his "there is indeed something spiritual about this place" monologue, or when they prepare for their final stand, I'm not really sure. It could also be Jiu Jitsu, but it looked an awful lot like aikido to me (which would be a huge anachronism).

And sure the techniques we are taught are applicable in battles such as this, no doubt about that, but keep in mind that in battle everything goes very fast, and you hardly have any place and time to do big movements, let alone think about which move you're going to pull off. Between you and certain death by an enemy stands only your reflexes.
Old 09-27-2009, 04:32 PM   #18
Ketsan
Dojo: Zanshin Kai
United Kingdom

Quote:

There was an uchi kaiten nage in the first battle. A samurai tries stabbing Algren with a spear from horse back and he takes it turns and throws the samurai from the horse with the spear.
Old 09-27-2009, 09:42 PM   #19
Kevin Leavitt

Dojo: Team Combat USA
United_States

Nah that was a judo uchi kaiten nage, not an aikido one.

Old 09-28-2009, 03:48 PM   #20
Dilip Deodhar
United_States

Aikido technique executions was pretty good but the executions were cruel Yes, I know, any war is cruel. This gives a glimpse of how different cultures could see Aikido differently!

On another point, my interpretation is that Aikido empty hand techniques are parallel to corresponding sword techniques. So, if one has a sword in his hand, he would rarely use a hand technique but instead do the same/similar technique with the sword. Hand to arm/body will usually happen only when in a clinch. In general ancient warlike situations, a sword is much preferable than a hand. But its OK if we take it as an Aikido demo. But it also seems to be a 'Allah Ho Akbar' propaganda as we don't see the opposite side yelling anything
Old 09-28-2009, 10:54 PM   #21
Hebrew Hammer

Dojo: Lava Fitness (The Boxing Club)
United_States

Quote:
Maarten De Queecker wrote: View Post

Maarten, you're comparing this local production to a major Hollywood block buster? Be nice...the man is trying to be creative, incorporate some martial arts, and to entertain...he hardly has a full production crew, a multimillion dollar budget, Tom "Super Scientologist" Cruise, and a full time stunt coordinator. I have seen worse fight scenes from Hollywood productions.

Stay Cut,

The Hebrew Hammer
Old 09-29-2009, 07:42 AM   #22
Ketsan
Dojo: Zanshin Kai
United Kingdom

Quote:
Kevin Leavitt wrote: View Post
Nah that was a judo uchi kaiten nage, not an aikido one.
Of course. If it had been an Aikido one it wouldn't have worked, I keep forgetting.
Old 09-29-2009, 08:23 AM   #23
Maarten De Queecker
Belgium

Quote:
Maarten, you're comparing this local production to a major Hollywood block buster? Be nice...the man is trying to be creative, incorporate some martial arts, and to entertain...he hardly has a full production crew, a multimillion dollar budget, Tom "Super Scientologist" Cruise, and a full time stunt coordinator. I have seen worse fight scenes from Hollywood productions.
I'm not comparing the production, I'm comparing the techniques used, the speed of attacking etc.