Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 06-02-2005, 02:29 PM   #1
Nick P.

Dojo: Sukagawa Aikido Club of Montreal
Embroidery & BuJin jackets.

Hi,

I have 2 BuJin jackets, and love the CoolMax lining.

Anyone here have their shoulder/sleeves embroidered with their names? How well did it turn out? Did you have it done by BuJin or by someone else?

I am no fabrics guru, but I worry that the two layers would pucker if embroidery were applied.

Thanks!

Old 06-03-2005, 09:50 AM   #2
James Davis

Dojo: Ft. Myers School of Aikido
United_States
Smile Re: Embroidery & BuJin jackets.

It's not embroidered, but I have a Bujin hakama. I LOVE my hakama. I previously had two hakama from Century, and I think Bujin is MUCH better. Not even a stitch has come loose after months of training with people who grab and pull my hakama all the time! I really wasn't interested in having any embroidery done, but I would definitely trust Bujin with doing it.
Old 06-03-2005, 11:25 AM   #3
arjandevries
Dojo: Ima Juku
Netherlands
Re: Embroidery & BuJin jackets.

I have all the faith in Bujin.
Perhaps it is wise to check out if you want katakana or kanji. If it is kanji make sure you give them a jpeg of what you want to be sure you get it. For katakana: the people at the embroideryshop dicide what caracters it is going to be. In my case it did not turn out so well. They made of arjan (my real name) asjan. Better was a ri an.
For the rest: Bujin has my blessing (I ordered a jacket a month ago and they send me the wrong size, now they will send me a new one and I can keep the other to give away as a present, how about that for service!)

As for the jacket: maybe the make the embroidery first befor the put in the cool layer. Why don't you ask them!
Old 06-03-2005, 12:15 PM   #4
Nick P.

Dojo: Sukagawa Aikido Club of Montreal

Thanks for the replies.

Frankly, there are 2 issues; the cost for them to do the embroidery ( a long time back I asked them by email for an estimate: the cost was a little steep ($30/name, and involved Ikeda Sensei verifying the kanji/katakana), and second was I wanted to get an opinion from those who have it it done to their jackets.

Don't misunderstand me; I, like most who own BuJin stuff, swear by them. I have just never seen embroidery on their jackets, and that gives me pause.

Asjan (sorry, could not resist! ) good suggestion to ask them.
Old 06-03-2005, 05:43 PM   #5
Qatana

Dojo: Aikido of Petaluma, Petaluma,CA

IAs a professional, I would reccommend you have the patch made and then stitched on to the jacket. Then when the gi has worn out (in 20 years or so if its like my Bujin Gi) the patch can be removed and put on something else.And I would put it on the chest, not the arm, it will take less abuse.
$30 is not steep considering that somebody has to program the computer to run the sewing machine for a one-off job. I could do you a nice handmade one, but I charge by the hour!

Q
http://www.aikidopetaluma.com/
www.knot-working.com

"It is not wise to be incautious when confronting a little smiling bald man"'- Rule #1
Old 06-03-2005, 10:12 PM   #6
Janet Rosen

Quote:
Jo Adell wrote:
I
$30 is not steep considering that somebody has to program the computer to run the sewing machine for a one-off job. I could do you a nice handmade one, but I charge by the hour!
Another stitching professional checking in to say I can't see that $30 is steep for a custom job of any kind.
I see it on other lists sometimes--there are folks who seem to think people plying needles, whether by hand or by machine, should be little gnomes toiling away in garrets and happy to make $6 an hour for their evening gruel (smile)

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield
Old 06-04-2005, 06:20 AM   #7
arjandevries
Dojo: Ima Juku
Netherlands

One more: (I just remembered) I have a new jacket and they put bujin kanji on the schoulder. I checked it and the kanji is only on the cotton not on the inner layer. It looks kinda cool.

Greetings,

Asjan (arjan)