Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Non-Aikido Martial Traditions

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 02-17-2017, 11:38 PM   #1
john2054

United Kingdom
Thumbs up Taking on Brazilian Jiujitsu

Seeing as i think i have reached as far as i am going to get with Aikido, I have ordered a bjj dvd pack called the Gracie combatives, and me and my pal had our first session rolling around on the park about a week or two ago, trying out the first lesson's moves.

If anything i find it a refreshing change to use my body to actually fight, rather than put it up there on a pedestal and worship it.

BTW the first lesson consists of escapes from the mount, from a headlock, punches and neck grab. I know for a fact that this isn't taught in mainstream Aikido, so as i said i found this very refreshing to experience.

Plus the actual process of doing free form fighting/Randori, which is another thing that isn't taught in Aikido, was like another breath of fresh air running through my body.

Actually to my knowledge, O Sensei, much as Kano and Helio Gracie, learned from his forefathers, to combine different styles, and then make something original from it. That is what i am doing.
Old 02-18-2017, 02:06 AM   #2
grondahl
Dojo: Stockholms Aikidoklubb
Sweden
Re: Taking on Brazilian Jiujitsu

Go find a real bjj academy instead. It will probably be both a fun and humbling experience.

Last edited by grondahl : 02-18-2017 at 02:10 AM.
Old 02-18-2017, 02:09 AM   #3
Demetrio Cereijo
Spain

Gracie Combatives is a good intro to basic jiu jitsu, but there is nothing like training in a club under a legit instructor.
Old 02-18-2017, 09:27 AM   #4
john2054

United Kingdom

Quote:
Demetrio Cereijo wrote: View Post
Gracie Combatives is a good intro to basic jiu jitsu, but there is nothing like training in a club under a legit instructor.
Hi thanks, i did find a local club, but i want to learn from the 'book' to begin with at least. I will see if i can get my blue belt, from these videos, which will probably take me a long time.

Plus i have already been accepted in to the bjj family, online, on their website, so that is an encouraging new start, right?
Old 02-19-2017, 05:54 PM   #5
GovernorSilver

If it's just you and your pal learning BJJ from videos, what will probably happen is you will soon learn how to submit your pal despite resistance - or the other way around - because you know each other's body habits quite well. However, you will later have trouble learning how to submit others.

A friend of mine and I did "home training" like that before we both joined class. He was the only person I could submit, and it was always the same way, because he always gave up the same vulnerable area - that comes from knowing him well. Everybody else submitted me easily and I couldn't do anything to anybody.
Old 02-20-2017, 02:51 AM   #6
grondahl
Dojo: Stockholms Aikidoklubb
Sweden

Quote:
John Robinson wrote: View Post
Hi thanks, i did find a local club, but i want to learn from the 'book' to begin with at least. I will see if i can get my blue belt, from these videos, which will probably take me a long time.

Plus i have already been accepted in to the bjj family, online, on their website, so that is an encouraging new start, right?
In order to get a blue belt in bjj, you will need to be able roll on a similar level as other blue belts. Without training with experienced partners you will never get a legit blue belt.

Think of blue belt as equivalent to shodan in aikido, but not as easy to get.
Old 02-20-2017, 04:31 AM   #7
Demetrio Cereijo
Spain

Quote:

It would be better for you to join the club and use the dvd/online training as a supplement.
Old 02-24-2017, 06:39 AM   #8
MrIggy
Dojo: Aikido Klub Tisa - Novi Sad
Serbia

Quote:
If anything i find it a refreshing change to use my body to actually fight, rather than put it up there on a pedestal and worship it.
A?

Quote:
BTW the first lesson consists of escapes from the mount, from a headlock, punches and neck grab. I know for a fact that this isn't taught in mainstream Aikido, so as i said i found this very refreshing to experience.
Mount yes but headlock, punches and neck grab (collar grab or wrestler grab) i was taught in "mainstream" Aikido.

Quote:
Plus the actual process of doing free form fighting/Randori, which is another thing that isn't taught in Aikido, was like another breath of fresh air running through my body.
Hasn't it ever occurred to you to actually go out a do a friendly spar with somebody who trains in another martial art, while you where training in Aikido?
Old 02-24-2017, 06:40 AM   #9
MrIggy
Dojo: Aikido Klub Tisa - Novi Sad
Serbia

Quote:
Demetrio Cereijo wrote: View Post
It would be better for you to join the club and use the dvd/online training as a supplement.
This^^.
Old 02-24-2017, 08:01 AM   #10
Demetrio Cereijo
Spain

OTOH, Gracie Combatives techniques and drills, for the most part, are devised to deal with opponents who suck.
Old 02-24-2017, 12:16 PM   #11
GovernorSilver

Quote:

Helio Gracie, learned from his forefathers, to combine different styles, and then make something original from it. That is what i am doing.
At the dojo I go to, we don't worship our bodies. As a matter of fact, every time I go to class, I learn how much I suck at using my body.

In my first month of Aikido I was already training against punches, collar grab, and shoulder grab. That diagonal hand chop (yokomen uchi) is pretty much the same angle as a haymaker/hook punch, and the reach is practically the same.

From what I understand, Helio Gracie mostly studied just Judo, albeit a very early version of it. He and his brother did make enough changes to what they learned to create a distinct martial art. There is a local BJJ instructor in my area who had previous experience in Kosen Judo (a Judo school specializing in ground fighting) but still got submitted quickly - thus making him a BJJ convert.
Old 02-24-2017, 12:53 PM   #12
lbb
United_States

There is history here.