Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Weapons

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 12-29-2010, 08:01 PM   #1
Shinmai
Australia
Wood finish for a Jo

I've been researching woods to make my first jo, and the more research I do the more confused I become. So many recommendations!

Many of the woods I've seen highly recommended just aren't available to me here in Australia. When it comes to hardwood dowel, the hardware/timber places around here all have Kwila/Mervan and Tasmanian Oak and that's about it.

Never seen Kwila/Mervan recommended by anyone, but I've seen recommendations for Tasmanian Oak by a couple of aikidoka in various forums.

So I've decided to ignore all the exotic stuff and take a gamble on the Tassie Oak. I'm planning to make a couple: 1x25mm and 1x30mm. I'm a big strong lad and I don't know which will suit me best, so making two isn't a big effort.

But being wood-ignorant, I have a question about finishing...

Stain, varnish or some sort of oil? Or some combination? Or something else entirely?

Obviously the Jo needs to slide easily but not be slippery.

Anyone out there expert in this sort of thing?

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Old 12-30-2010, 08:00 AM   #2
jbblack

Dojo: Aikido of Roseville
United_States
Re: Wood finish for a Jo

Brad at Kingfisher Woodworks has some thoughts: http://kingfisherwoodworks.com/warr.maint.html
I have used his oil finish on weapons for about 15 years and they work well.
Cheers, Jeff
Old 12-30-2010, 08:39 AM   #3
lbb
United_States

Quote:
Cedric Healy wrote: View Post
Stain, varnish or some sort of oil? Or some combination? Or something else entirely?
Sweat.
Old 12-30-2010, 10:01 AM   #4
shakou

Dojo: Ronin Aikido Association
England

Wood will always need to be treated with something. Varnish has a tendencey to not allow the wood to breath as it needs to. I have a friend who trains in Jodo and has stripped the varnish from his as it allows better movement of the weapon through his hands.

I prefer oiled over varnished also since making the switch to Sei Do Kai bokuto over standard cheaper shiro kashi bokuto, not as slippery in the hand. I suppose if you're making two then oil one and varnish the other, they can both be re done depending on your own preference.

I think the oil weapons makers use is tung oil, I may be wrong but can't check as the work system is a drag and has barred me from most weapons site

Last edited by shakou : 12-30-2010 at 10:04 AM.
Old 12-30-2010, 02:55 PM   #5
Larry Feldman
Dojo: Atlanta School of Aikido
United_States

Tung oil.
Old 12-30-2010, 03:36 PM   #6
Shinmai
Australia

Thanks guys.

Looks like Tung oil is the go. I've done a search for the Kingfisher oil but can't find anyone selling it here in Australia.
Old 12-31-2010, 10:01 AM   #7
shakou

Dojo: Ronin Aikido Association
England

look up bokken making on you tube and there is a guy called rei - ho i think who has a few good tutorials to watch, he pretty much explains it all on there, you can pick the oil up from most wood working store/dept etc.
Old 01-04-2011, 07:34 PM   #8
ravenest
Dojo: Way of Falling Water
Australia

Quote:
Cedric Healy wrote: View Post
I've been researching woods to make my first jo, and the more research I do the more confused I become. So many recommendations!

Many of the woods I've seen highly recommended just aren't available to me here in Australia. When it comes to hardwood dowel, the hardware/timber places around here all have Kwila/Mervan and Tasmanian Oak and that's about it.

Never seen Kwila/Mervan recommended by anyone, but I've seen recommendations for Tasmanian Oak by a couple of aikidoka in various forums.

So I've decided to ignore all the exotic stuff and take a gamble on the Tassie Oak. I'm planning to make a couple: 1x25mm and 1x30mm. I'm a big strong lad and I don't know which will suit me best, so making two isn't a big effort.

But being wood-ignorant, I have a question about finishing...

Obviously the Jo needs to slide easily but not be slippery.

Anyone out there expert in this sort of thing?

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Hi Cedric. I have been using Tassie oak for years for Jo and Bo. I've found it very sufficient (not good for bragging or posing though ) Nice range of cheap ones and thicknesses at Bunnings, select the right piece, look for a straight grain and check for flaws or knots that will split across the length and not down it. Give it a good sand and rub in pure wood oil, (no additives) like Sifa furniture oil (hardware or Bunnings), If it dries out (of oil) it will start to split, even without use. Do maintenance (which we should all do anyway) after a heavy contact session, go over it, sand it and oil again. This gives me a good grip and movement through the hand. Eventuall it may not last as long as other expensive woods, then you will be up for another $12 at Bunnings, if you can handle that . Last teacher told me Sensai Sugarno used p-nut oil. I tried it and it seems just as good and cheaper. Dont varnish it for the reasons above. Have fun!

I do not reccomend linseed oil.