Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 07-22-2003, 06:14 PM   #1
Phillip Armel
Dojo: Almost Heaven
What music do you listen to during aikido?

What type of music do you listen to before, during, and after aikido practice? I always listen to music which is rock or something along those lines. In practice my sensi plays some japanese instrumental music(? I think ?). When I get home normally I listen to some rock music or put on some Opeth or Symphony X. What does everyone elese listen to?
Old 07-22-2003, 08:38 PM   #2
Veers

Dojo: Shinkikan Aikikai Aikido of Corpus Christi
None during, unless our neighboring Tai Ji class has classical playing...

As for after...often none...sometimes Final Fantasy music...sometimes anime soundtracks...sometimes something else...and sometimes nothing.

The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
Old 07-22-2003, 08:50 PM   #3
NagaBaba

Re: What music do you listen to during aikido?

Quote:
Phillip Armel wrote:
What does everyone elese listen to?
hip hop

Nagababa

ask for divine protection Ame no Murakumo Kuki Samuhara no Ryuo
Old 07-22-2003, 11:11 PM   #4
Sita Nanthavong

United_States
the sounds of "oooff" and "aarrrggghhhh" and the occassional "whap whap" of someone tapping.

does that count?
Old 07-23-2003, 02:03 AM   #5
Tim Griffiths
Dojo: Nes Ziona Aikikai
China
Before: Whatever my wife left playing in the car.

During: Whatever's playing in the aerobics class next door.

After: Whatever's playing in the pub.

Tim

If one makes a distinction between the dojo and the battlefield, or being in your bedroom or in public, then when the time comes there will be no opportunity to make amends. (Hagakure)
Old 07-23-2003, 05:43 AM   #6
mj
'My Heart Will Go On' by Celine Dion.

Really brings out the urge to kill someone.

Old 07-23-2003, 05:49 AM   #7
happysod
Dojo: Kiburn, London, UK
United Kingdom
Mark, thanks, I've always avoided aikido & music - but this brings in a whole new perspective
Old 07-23-2003, 05:56 AM   #8
Michael Willers
Many years ago I studied aikido in college. We practiced in the mat room, right next door to a women's self defense class, separated from us by a very thin, sound-permeable "wall."

The self defense class played Tori Amos' "Crucify Myself" over and over again. It was punctuated with the sounds of "Eyes! Knees! Groin! Move back!"

As we tried to find some silence and peace during our aikido practice, it used to drive us bonkers.

So I guess I could say that I listen to "Crucify Myself" during aikido practice, however unwillingly.
Old 07-23-2003, 06:17 AM   #9
bob_stra
Australia
Quote:
mark johnston (mj) wrote:
'My Heart Will Go On' by Celine Dion.

Really brings out the urge to kill someone.
Feeling it. ;-)
Old 07-23-2003, 06:48 AM   #10
justinm
United Kingdom
Before - sometimes Officium (Jan Garbarek plays saxaphone with an English vocal quartet singing early choral music). An amazing blend that makes the spirit soar.

Warning - it may make you cry.

During - nothing, but thought about trying it

After - nothing as too busy thinking about what worked and what didn't work during the class.

Justin

Justin McCarthy
Old 07-23-2003, 09:45 AM   #11
C. Emerson
Dojo: Emerson's Martial Arts
I'm a traditionalist at heart I guess, I train with any music. I've got lots of friends who do. I've just never got into it. I think that for me that the training hall is a sanctuary for me. Not that you could not have music in a sanctuary, but I try to escape from life and focus on myself when I'm there. Maybe I'll try some mood music to help me relax and focus on my techniques.

-Chad
Old 07-23-2003, 10:04 AM   #12
akiy

We actually had two classes here where we had one of our members with experience in African drumming play his drums during the class. Some people liked it while others didn't.

Robert Nadeau sensei often teaches randori to drumming at what used to be the San Rafael Summer Retreat (now in Menlo Park).

I think I prefer the "usual" sounds of training over music myself. I wonder if listening to music while training will make the music manipulate one's internal "rhythm" that develops within the technique itself? One thing I've been looking for these days is to connect with and then "break" my partner's internal rhythm; I would think it would be difficult to do this if we were both operating in basically the same rhythm (ie to external music)...

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!
Old 07-23-2003, 10:27 AM   #13
Jim ashby
Dojo: Phoenix Coventry
Before training I think Chumbawumba's tubthumping is very appropriate. "I get knocked down, but I get up again, y'aint never gonna keep me down".

Says it all really.

Have fun.

Vir Obesus Stola Saeptus
Old 07-23-2003, 11:21 AM   #14
Ramos
Dojo: C.A.Q. dojo
Hello! I don't it take as an obligation to listen to music after or before practice and we certainly don't listen to music while practicing at the dojo. I'm constantly listening to psy-trance (Astral Projection, Infected Mushroom, SynSUN, Blue Planet Corp., etc), symphonic metal (The Gathering, Nightwish, Within Temptation) and Ambient music (Numina). Actually i would like to recommend the last one to the yoga/meditation practicioners; very smooth, dreamy music, good carrying wave for the mind, helps you reach those higher states of mind. If you're interested, here's one of my favourite songs:

http://uk.play.mp3.com/cgi-bin/play/...ze_then_Si.m3u

More info and tracks on:

http://uk.artists.mp3s.com/artists/100/numina.html

Cheers.

Last edited by Ramos : 07-23-2003 at 11:24 AM.
Old 07-23-2003, 11:25 AM   #15
C. Emerson
Dojo: Emerson's Martial Arts
Jun, very good point.
Old 07-23-2003, 01:10 PM   #16
Dennis Hooker
Dojo: Shindai Dojo, Orlando Fl.
I play and listen to Old Time Music (Appalachian mountain music, not Bluegrass) almost every chance I get. Sometimes I can't play before class but I always play after. An unscientific observation I have made over the years is that I find more creative and artistic individuals per capita in the Aikido community than in other communities I associate with. It seems Aikido people in general have a talent for expressing themselves and chose various creative mediums through which to do it.

Dennis Hooker: (DVD) Zanshin and Ma-ai in Aikido
https://www.createspace.com/238049

www.shindai.com
Old 07-23-2003, 03:49 PM   #17
DaveO
Dojo: Great Wave Aikido
Canada
During regular class; nothing. During personal practice at home; Sarah Brightman.

Her rendition of "Nessun Dorma" is IMO one of the finest pieces of recorded music; great to breathe to - very relaxing.

Answers are only easy when they're incomplete.
Old 07-23-2003, 04:04 PM   #18
Qatana

Dojo: Aikido of Petaluma, Petaluma,CA
I don't listen to music at home. In the dojo we are subjected to ballet music from one side and tap dancing to Irish music on the other.

I would like very much to train to drums & hope to muster up the courage to get myself to CityAikido sometime before i die and take class with Nadeau Sensei...

Q
http://www.aikidopetaluma.com/
www.knot-working.com

"It is not wise to be incautious when confronting a little smiling bald man"'- Rule #1
Old 07-23-2003, 07:12 PM   #19
jk
Quote:
Jun Akiyama (akiy) wrote:
We actually had two classes here where we had one of our members with experience in African drumming play his drums during the class. Some people liked it while others didn't.
Heck, bring in a band...have four musicians like in a Muay Thai bout. What's interesting is that the music can slow down or quicken depending on what's happening on the mat or just because they (the musicians) want to mess with your head.
Quote:
I wonder if listening to music while training will make the music manipulate one's internal "rhythm" that develops within the technique itself? One thing I've been looking for these days is to connect with and then "break" my partner's internal rhythm; I would think it would be difficult to do this if we were both operating in basically the same rhythm (ie to external music)
That's a good question. All the more reason to find out.
Old 07-24-2003, 02:25 AM   #20
taras
United Kingdom
I don't listen to anything before or during practice. If I remember correctly, OSensei said "don't be drawn into the rythm of your enemy". I think this has something to do with what Jun said. If it's a bad ideai to be drawn into rythm of your opponent, then I guess it's no good being drawn into any other external rythm.

After practice, during beer waza I listen to Deep Purple, System of the Down etc. After a couple of pints or if I don't bring anyone from dojo home (very rarely) I'll put on King Crimson or Miles Davies.

Last edited by taras : 07-24-2003 at 02:33 AM.
Old 07-24-2003, 02:31 AM   #21
taras
United Kingdom
Once I was training in this place that had some kind of cafe kiosk or something. I couldn't tell, it had shutters over it. But inside there must have been some sort of coffee machine or something and it kept playing tunes like 'Cucaracha', it sounded like Jamaican drums. Someone asked sensei, what on earth is that? Her just said, it's the music of Aikido. I almost went into a roll laughing, it sounded so cheesy.

So, know ye when you hear 'Cucaracha' next time!
Old 07-24-2003, 03:14 PM   #22
Kalle Koskinen
Dojo: Shiseikan
Before training, I listen to music that is quite fast, aggressive and chaotic. The point is to get me very energetic and relaxed at the same time. As it may sound a bit funny, but I do really get in a good mood from music that most of people would hate.

For those who are curious, try to find bands like Revenge, Abominator, Bestial Warlust and Angel Corpse.

While the music I listen to is raw and brutal, it doesn't mess my Aikido. I'm very gentle and try to find the softness. It's usually just that I take a short nap before training and I need to wake up real fast. So what's better way than really ugly music...
Old 07-24-2003, 11:17 PM   #23
Phillip Armel
Dojo: Almost Heaven
I think music makes a huge difference when it comes to setting the ambience. Just gets people into a common rythm I think. I find for me personally it can help raise my energy level, which is a good thing lol. Maybe you should see if your sensi wants to put on music during class, maybe some light instrumentals or something. Something not really distracting, but you know it's there(that made no sense did it? lol). Experiment a little, I don't think it'd hurt anyone
Old 07-25-2003, 12:49 AM   #24
zachbiesanz
Dojo: New York Aikikai; Byakkokan Dojo (Toyama Ryu Battodo)
United_States
Our practice room is close enough to the weights area that we can always hear Today's Hottest Rock or whatever. The amazing thing is that I never notice it during practice, but as soon as we're done, it hits me really hard and I wonder how I could have possibly ignored it.

I just chalk that up to mushin.

Aikido is the art of hitting an assailant with the planet.
Old 07-26-2003, 02:26 PM   #25
AikiTsuru

Dojo: New York Aikikai
United_States
Well, you can can me old fashion but to be honest I was always thought that during class there should be no distraction, no interuption, no speaking, and no goofing off. One's attention, eyes and ears should be always directed and focused on your Instructor (Sensei).

However before class i always like to get the adrenaline flowing by listening to anything that fits my mood.

But after class i dont listen to anything because i like to think and reflect on what i have learned.