Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 03-12-2008, 09:49 PM   #1
Tijani1150

Has anyone attempted training with a weighted vest?

Hi

The thought of wearing a weighted vest during Aikido practise keeps crossing my mind, has any one tryed it?

The reason (i think) it might be good is that if I can get my body used to executing Aikido techniques while wearing that weighted vest then surely my aikido speed will be immense with out it.

so what do you think?
Old 03-13-2008, 01:10 AM   #2
ficklampa
Sweden
Re: Has anyone attempted training with a weighted vest?

you've been watching too much dragonball
Old 03-13-2008, 02:18 AM   #3
roman naly
Talking Re: Has anyone attempted training with a weighted vest?

What about trying the vest and a blind fold?

Seriously I think that a weighted vest would be more of a hindrance. It could pose a risk to your training partners, however it might help your endurance.
Old 03-13-2008, 04:35 AM   #4
batemanb

Dojo: Seibukan Aikido UK

Quote:
Ahmed Altalib wrote: View Post
The reason (i think) it might be good is that if I can get my body used to executing Aikido techniques while wearing that weighted vest then surely my aikido speed will be immense with out it.
It's not really about speed per se, it's about timing your interaction with your uke.

Don't think you need a weighted vest, a good heavyweight keiko gi soaked in sweat should more than suffice .

A difficult problem is easily solved by asking yourself the question, "Just how would the Lone Ranger handle this?"
Old 03-13-2008, 07:20 AM   #5
paw

I haven't worn a weight vest for aikido, but I have worn one for Brazilian Jiu Jitsu. I've worked from 2 pounds to 22 pounds in my weight vest. I have a smartvest, and wear it under my gi. My partners don't know I'm wearing it (unless they see me put it on or take it off), so I know it's very comfortable --- and equally important, not injurious to them.

I honestly don't know how much of a difference the vest has made, as I only wear it once a month or so for bjj (I got it primarily for other uses). It certainly leaves me drained when I do use it.

If you really want to give it a try, my first suggestion is care needs to be taken as to which brand of vest you choose. You would need a vest that is form fitting and snug (a vest you could run, jump and roll in).

My second suggestion is to start very light --- 2 to 4 pounds. You'd be amazed how much difference it makes.

My final concern is ukemi. I'm not sure how comfortable it would be to fall with a vest on. Some vests I've seen would potentially be injurious when falling, particularly break falls. So that would be my main concern.

Regards,

Paul
Old 03-13-2008, 07:53 AM   #6
senshincenter

Dojo: Senshin Center
United_States

I've worn one. It makes for a nice workout.

David M. Valadez
Visit our web site for articles and videos. Senshin Center - A Place for Traditional Martial Arts in Santa Barbara.
Old 03-13-2008, 09:22 AM   #7
akiy

It looks like Bujin Design is currently (3/13/2008) having a clearance on their weight vest:

http://www.bujindesign.com/clearance_weight_vests.php

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!
Old 03-15-2008, 03:05 AM   #8
Guilty Spark

United_States

If you're planning on using Aikido "at work" as a soldier or law enforcement officer I strongly suggest you train with a weighted vest. Or at the least a weight belt.

It makes a huge difference. Even if you plan on backpacking across europe and believe you may be required to use aikido to protect yourself, practice a little with a backpack on.

If you're hungry, keep moving.
If you're tired, keep moving.
If you value you're life, keep moving.

You don't own what you can't defend
Old 03-15-2008, 08:59 AM   #9
Chuck Clark

Dojo: Jiyushinkan
United_States

When I was chasing the titles in judo shiai from 1960 -1975 I would often wear a weighted vest and on my ankles and wrists for two or three weeks and then take them off about a week before the shiai. I liked the feeling of being faster and stronger when not wearing the weights. I've never used them for aikido training. I'm looking for precise subtle movement and timing more than strength. Moving the whole body as one at the right time in the right place.

Chuck Clark
Jiyushinkai Aikibudo
www.jiyushinkai.org
Old 03-15-2008, 02:58 PM   #10
Cephallus
Dojo: judo only at the moment
United_States

This is a lot like the feeling I have when I skate without any hockey gear on. Pickup/pond shinny is so much fun with sticks and gloves only...you feel so fast, agile, and strong without 20lbs of hockey gear weighing you down. I haven't used a weighted vest for martial arts before, but I could certainly see how it would help your speed/agility/strength to train with one. It's a good idea, I think I'll try wearing one while doing body-weight strength/agility exercises.