Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Training

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 06-06-2009, 05:54 PM   #1
trademark8806

Dojo: Akido of Rosmore
United_States
How to Stay Active When Abroad for a Month?

I am seeking advadce. I will be going to London for one month and will not be able to trin. I am wordierign what should I do to stay "active" in akido during this time so it will not be so hard to come back to it if i wish to. I am ranck bigner... I know none of the tecnecks well enoff to conpletly do them on my own... with out any help...so that is not relly much of an option.. i do not think.
any advace?
Old 06-06-2009, 06:10 PM   #2
gdandscompserv

United_States
Re: Question

Quote:
Tara Marsh wrote: View Post
I am seeking advadce. I will be going to London for one month and will not be able to trin. I am wordierign what should I do to stay "active" in akido during this time so it will not be so hard to come back to it if i wish to. I am ranck bigner... I know none of the tecnecks well enoff to conpletly do them on my own... with out any help...so that is not relly much of an option.. i do not think.
any advace?
If I were you, I'd take in this seminar;
http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showpo...35&postcount=1
Old 06-06-2009, 06:13 PM   #3
trademark8806

United_States

i should mention it would be during july
Old 06-06-2009, 06:35 PM   #4
Peter Wong

Bring your gi and visit local dojos
Old 06-06-2009, 06:39 PM   #5
Karo
United_States

There are probably several dojos in London that you could visit during your stay there. Hey, this trip might even turn out to be a good thing! You'll have the opportunity to train with other people, and experience other approaches to the art.

Karo
Old 06-06-2009, 07:02 PM   #6
trademark8806

United_States

Quote:
Karolina Owczarzak wrote: View Post
There are probably several dojos in London that you could visit during your stay there. Hey, this trip might even turn out to be a good thing! You'll have the opportunity to train with other people, and experience other approaches to the art.

Karo
i cant pay to sign up for ther dojos

Best wishes ,
Old 06-06-2009, 07:22 PM   #7
Karo
United_States

Quote:
Tara Marsh wrote: View Post
i cant pay to sign up for ther dojos
You won't have to sign up if you're only visiting for a short time. As far as I understand, visitors usually only pay a mat fee, i.e. a small fee per class. You will have to ask a specific dojo how much it is.

Karo
Old 06-07-2009, 05:10 AM   #8
Pauliina Lievonen

Dojo: Jiki Shin Kan Utrecht
Netherlands
Re: How to Stay Active When Abroad for a Month?

What everybody else said - it's usual to charge visitors only a small mat fee. I'd definitively try to do some visiting, it's a great chance to experience different styles and ways to pratice.

A few years ago I spent a month in Helsinki with a lot of free time on my hands. Visited practically every dojo in the area, ten or so. It was a lot of fun plus I got a good idea of the different styles of aikido there were around. Learned a lot, too.

It's at least worth asking about it at the local dojo.

kvaak
Pauliina
Old 06-07-2009, 07:04 AM   #9
Abasan
Dojo: Aiki Shoshinkan, Aiki Kenkyukai
Malaysia

Umm, do this.

Google or aikiweb search the dojos in london. Get their contact number and dojo-cho's name. Get your present sensei to write you an introduction letter.

Then, send those guys an email saying you're interested to pop by and train for a day and see how that goes. If you like the first 1 you can stay the entire month.

Draw strength from stillness. Learn to act without acting. And never underestimate a samurai cat.
Old 06-07-2009, 01:34 PM   #10
David Maidment
United Nations

As others have said, just pop into a dojo. We're all super nice here!

You'll likely have to pay a small per-hour/per-session fee, but you wouldn't have to sign up for anything. Some dojos may even let you train for free if they know you're a travelling visitor; one girl at our dojo is off to Germany soon and contacted some dojos there to be told she could train for free. Just ask, you never know!

The only thing I will say is that most major dojos here will be part of the BAB, who run their own insurance scheme. If any insurance you have from your current dojo doesn't apply worldwide, you may be asked to sign up. Our organisation only charge £4 a year for it, though.

If you get the chance to travel on weekends, try catching a train or coach elsewhere in the UK; there are plenty of dojos around.
Old 06-07-2009, 03:19 PM   #11
trademark8806

United_States

thanks for the infromation focks.

Best wishes ,