Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Humor

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 01-22-2006, 05:49 PM   #1
giriasis
Dojo: Sand Drift Aikikai, Cocoa Florida
United_States
The Twelve Rules of Flaming

Found this on another board...

The Twelve Rules of Flaming

1. Make things up about your opponent: It's important to make your lies sound true. Preface your argument with the word "clearly." "Clearly, Fred Flooney is a liar, and a dirtball to boot."

2. Be an armchair psychologist: You're a smart person. You've heard of Freud. You took a psychology course in college. Clearly, you're qualified to psychoanalyze your opponent. "Polly Purebread, by using the word 'zucchini' in her posting, shows she has a bad case of penis envy."

3. Cross-post your flames: Everyone on the net is just waiting for the next literary masterpiece to leave your terminal! From the Apple II RoundTable to X-10 Powerhouse RoundTable, they're all holding their breath until your next flame. Therefore, post everywhere.

4. Conspiracies abound: If everyone's against you, the reason can't *possibly* be that you're a sh??head. There's obviously a conspiracy against you, and you will be doing the entire net a favor by exposing it.

5. Lawsuit threats: This is the reverse of Rule #4 (sort of like the Yin & Yang of Flaming). Threatening a lawsuit is always considered to be in good form. "By saying that I've posted to the wrong group, Bertha has libeled me, slandered me, and sodomized me. See you in court, Bertha."

6. Force them to document their claims: Even if Harry Hoinkus states outright that he likes tomato sauce on his pasta, you should demand documentation. If Newsweek hasn't written an article on Harry's pasta preferences, then Harry's obviously lying.

7. Use foreign phrases: French is good, but Latin is the lingua franca of flaming. You should use the words "ad hominem" at least three times per article. Other favorite Latin phrases are "ad nauseum," "veni, vidi, vici," and "fettuccini alfredo."

8. Tell 'em how smart you are: Why use intelligent arguments to convince them you're smart when all you have to do is tell them? State that you're a member of Mensa, or Mega, or Dorks of America. Tell them the scores you received on every exam since high school. "I got an 800 on my SATs, LSATs, GREs, MCATs, and I can also spell the word 'premeiotic' ."

9. Accuse your opponent of censorship. It is your right as an American citizen to post whatever the hell you want to the net (as guaranteed by the 37th Amendment, I think). Anyone who tries to limit your cross-posting or move a flame war to email is either a communist, a fascist, or both.

10. Doubt their existence: You've never actually seen your opponent, have you? And since you're the center of the universe, you should have seen them by now, shouldn't you? Therefore, THEY DON'T EXIST! This is the beauty of flamers' logic.

11. Lie, cheat, steal, leave the toilet seat up.

12. When in doubt, insult: If you forget the other 11 rules, remember this one. At some point during your wonderful career as a Flamer you will undoubtedly end up in a flame war with someone who is better than you. This person will expose your lies, tear apart your arguments, make you look generally like a bozo. At this point, there's only one thing to do: INSULT THE DIRTBAG!!! "Oh yeah? Well, your mother does strange things with vegetables."

Honorable Mention:
13. When all else fails, call into question someones grammer or spelling.

Anne Marie Giri
Old 01-22-2006, 05:58 PM   #2
Qatana

Dojo: Aikido of Petaluma, Petaluma,CA
Re: The Twelve Rules of Flaming

I Must copy and Post!

Q
http://www.aikidopetaluma.com/
www.knot-working.com

"It is not wise to be incautious when confronting a little smiling bald man"'- Rule #1
Old 01-22-2006, 07:36 PM   #3
Janet Rosen

Quote:
Anne Marie Giri wrote:
13. When all else fails, call into question someones grammer
HEY
what did my mum's ol lady ever do to YOU?!

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield
Old 01-22-2006, 08:58 PM   #4
giriasis
United_States

You forgot to capitalize the "w" in what. You know that the first letter of each sentence should be capitalized, right?

Anne Marie Giri
Old 01-23-2006, 12:24 AM   #5
Michael Hackett
Dojo: Kenshinkan Dojo (Aikido of North County) Vista, CA

Anne Marie....to quote Larry the Cable Guy....."That's funny. I don't care who you are."

Michael
"Leave the gun. Bring the cannoli."
Old 01-23-2006, 08:20 AM   #6
Qatana

Clearly Janet is trying to turn this thread into a pun war

Q
www.knot-working.com

"It is not wise to be incautious when confronting a little smiling bald man"'- Rule #1
Old 01-23-2006, 08:47 AM   #7
Dazzler
Dojo: Bristol North Aikido Dojo
England

Quote:
Jo Adell wrote:
Clearly Janet is trying to turn this thread into a pun war
Surely thats a pun-fight?

(I'll get my coat....)
Old 01-23-2006, 10:26 AM   #8
Qatana

I Happen to have been an English Major and when I say a word it means exactly as I choos it to mean.

How many have we got so far?

Q
www.knot-working.com

Old 01-23-2006, 11:22 AM   #9
Kevin Temple
Dojo: Jinbukan
Canada

these rules are clearly total skat. Noone would ever use these ridiculous rules unless they were a baby-eating sleazeball. A scientific study was done on you, and it concluded that you, in fact, are a stupid jerk. Did I mention you have big ears and stupid hair. See you in court.

Old 01-23-2006, 11:23 AM   #10
Michael Hackett

OK, so you served in the British Army - wouldn't have been my cup of tea.

Michael
Old 01-23-2006, 06:35 PM   #11
CNYMike
Dojo: Aikido of Central New York
United_States

Clearly, Ann Marie is a jealous person who doesn't realize how smart I am -- the BS I finally got at my third college more than qualifies me to sell shoes -- and she is out to get me. I know she is because I say she is. When the ninjas in my clan find out who you are, Annie, I will sue you for you ad homm ... ad hominnnn .... your attacks on my person. Because clearly you don't know how smart I am. And I am being courteous in assuming you really exsist, Ann, if that's what your name really is!

Old 01-23-2006, 06:40 PM   #12
RebeccaM
Dojo: Boulder Aikikai
United_States

I submit honorable mention 14:
Your all gay!!!!

Okay, so that probably fits in with one of the other rules, but I think it beglong to a class by itself.
Old 01-23-2006, 06:55 PM   #13
giriasis
United_States

It'S nOt fAiR, iT's A cOnSiRpIrAcY eVeRyOnE iZ oUt 2 GiT Me!!!!!!!!!

Anne Marie Giri
Old 01-23-2006, 10:26 PM   #14
crbateman

Clark's first rule of flaming is to point out that anyone without the good sense to agree with me has already proven that they are an IDIOT, thus rendering any further discussion irrelevant...
Old 01-23-2006, 11:42 PM   #15
Michael Hackett

Just because you're paranoid DOESN'T mean they aren't out to get you.

Michael
Old 01-24-2006, 12:28 AM   #16
Janet Rosen

My parrot told me you were talking about me and I want you to cut it out or I'll have my sempai beat up your sempai.

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield
Old 01-24-2006, 05:09 AM   #17
happysod
Dojo: Kiburn, London, UK
United Kingdom

Possible honourable mentions distinct to aikido

15. I'm more hard-core/traditional/spiritually in tune with the universe [delete as appropriate] so any disputant is not only obviously wrong, but should be condescended to at every opportunity as just not understanding your superior viewpoint.

16. Along the lines of "the betting tip from the man in the pub" is the sensei and the sake - personal and private viewpoints from an eminent (unnamed, yet strongly hinted at) instructor who vouchsafed the true secrets over a cup of cold stuff that tastes like pencils.
Quote:
Clark's first rule of flaming...
don't worry, we've noticed this one... which leads me to
17. the use of smileys in an insipid attempt to avoid the resulting backlash when you realise you shouldn't have typed what you just typed but just couldn't resist it
Old 01-24-2006, 06:57 AM   #18
Mark Freeman
Dojo: Dartington
United Kingdom

Quote:
Michael Hackett wrote:
Just because you're paranoid DOESN'T mean they aren't out to get you.
It doesn't?? Now I'm really starting to worry!

Success is having what you want. Happiness is wanting what you have.
Old 01-24-2006, 07:00 AM   #19
Mark Freeman
Dojo: Dartington
United Kingdom

Quote:
Ian Hurst wrote:
17. the use of smileys in an insipid attempt to avoid the resulting backlash when you realise you shouldn't have typed what you just typed but just couldn't resist it
I think rule 17 is a load of rubbish and should be resisted at all costs!!

Success is having what you want. Happiness is wanting what you have.
Old 01-24-2006, 12:47 PM   #20
CNYMike
United_States

Being more geneal, the following two rules will be seen as stageringly important to anyone as smart as me .....

18. When someone responds to a long flame with an in depth post that answers you point by point and pokes holes in all your arguments, do NOT under any circumstances deign to reply in kind for reasons stated in previous rules, ie, at best they are idiots, and at worst, out to get you. Instead, dash off two or three sentences that in one shot dismiss the reply, misquote the reply, and restate the point the other person originally replied to. This is particularly effective if the reply is REALLY long, because after typing for an hour seeing your epistle will definitely send steam out their ears. (It certainly does out of mine.)

19. This is probably the most diffiuclt: The best flamers don't even know they're flaming! They are completely unaware of what they are doing and any attempt to show them what's going on falls on deph ears .... eyeballs .... because they are following the other rules religiously. This is the mushin no shin of flaming: To flame without knowing you are flaming. Truly a feat to earn one a place in hell.

I don't know if they are the last, but they are DEFINITELY not least!
Old 01-24-2006, 02:13 PM   #21
Qatana

You stole #19 from me. Clearly you have been poking around in my personal and private subconcious and lifting my words from my very brain. I thought of it first. You will be hearing from my lawyer.

Q
www.knot-working.com

Old 01-24-2006, 05:17 PM   #22
Jerry Miller

United_States

Your mind is an open book.

Jerry Miller
Old 01-24-2006, 05:43 PM   #23
vjw
Dojo: Rochester Phoenix
United_States

20. Start a new interest (say Aikido), log on to it's forum, find the users that are the best contributors to the forum, follow their posts and flame them. You will quickly gain fame as the forum's biggest flaming nuisance.
Old 01-25-2006, 10:22 AM   #24
CNYMike
United_States

Quote:
Jo Adell wrote:
You stole #19 from me. Clearly you have been poking around in my personal and private subconcious and lifting my words from my very brain. I thought of it first. You will be hearing from my lawyer.
Clearly, you are part of the conspiracy against me, because I stole #19 from you after you stole it from me. Now that I have my new tin foil hat, that won't happen. But I dare you to try.
Old 01-25-2006, 10:41 AM   #25
Qatana

Anybody with an ounce of intellegence would know that only Aluminum foil works against your insidious conspiracy . Clearly you are conspiring to mislead us into wearing ineffective protection from the alien mind control cabal youare obviously a dupe thereof.

Q
www.knot-working.com