Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 03-05-2012, 03:35 PM   #26
mathewjgano

Dojo: Tsubaki Kannagara Jinja Aikidojo; Himeji Shodokan Dojo
United_States
Re: What makes Aikido unique as a martial art ?

Quote:
Lars Beyer wrote: View Post
Hello everybody.
I have a question which I have been asking myself for quite some time now, but I can only answer
it from my own perspective and that doesn´t show me the whole picture offcourse.

What is it that makes Aikido unique in relation to other martial arts ?

In Aiki
Lars Beyer
My inexpert opinion is that it has a unique history and everything else is present somewhere else, though in different proportions...so my guess is:
history and emphasis.

Gambarimashyo!
Old 03-05-2012, 03:59 PM   #27
hallsbayfisherman
Dojo: Akido institute of newfoundland
Canada

What makes Aikido unique from what I have seen/experienced is that Aikido seems to be the martial art that generates the most discussion and opinionated comments on whether it is an effective form of actual self defense.I think there was a thread on this site ongoing for 11 or so years discussing this exact issue.Besides that it is an excellent martial art like all others.
Old 03-05-2012, 04:59 PM   #28
lars beyer
Dojo: Copenhagen Aikishuren Dojo
Denmark

Thank You all for sharing your interresting ideas, I have surely gotten some new food for thought.

In Aiki,
Lars
Old 03-05-2012, 05:05 PM   #29
Shadowfax

Dojo: Allegheny Aikido, Pitsburgh PA
United_States

What makes a rose unique among flowers? Does that make the other flowers lesser or better?
What makes you unique among humans? Does that make the other humans lesser or better?

Aikido is unique (to me) because it is the one martial art that I was drawn to. That does not make other martial arts lesser or better. If it were like some other martial art it would be that other martial art. And that other martial art, flower, human, is unique because it is what it is. It is not trying to be something else.

Sometimes it is good to just accept something for what it is without needing to weigh and measure it against something else.
Old 03-05-2012, 05:33 PM   #30
gregstec
Dojo: Aiki Kurabu
United_States

"u·nique - Definition.

 adjective
1. existing as the only one or as the sole example; single; solitary in type or characteristics.
2. having no like or equal; unparalleled; incomparable.
3. limited in occurrence to a given class, situation, or area.
4. limited to a single outcome or result; without alternative possibilities.
5. not typical; unusual.

noun
the embodiment of unique characteristics; the only specimen of a given ki
nd."

Personally, I don't see where Aikido actually fits any of the above definitions - people are unique - martial arts are not; different maybe, but not unique.

Greg
Old 03-05-2012, 07:16 PM   #31
Shadowfax

United_States

Quote:
Greg Steckel wrote: View Post
[i][b]

Personally, I don't see where Aikido actually fits any of the above definitions - people are unique - martial arts are not; different maybe, but not unique.

Greg
People are certainly comparable. All human being have many things in common. And yet they also have individuality. Same can be said for Martial arts, rocks, flowers, animals of a species....

Based on the above definition I doubt there is much at all in the universe that is really totally unique.
Old 03-06-2012, 02:54 AM   #32
RuteMendes
Dojo: Dramático de Cascais
Portugal

Aikido is a martial art that teaches us how avoid a to fight... ironic isn't it? ehe :P
Old 03-06-2012, 03:06 AM   #33
lars beyer
Denmark

I feel I would probably have to rephrase my question infinitely..

I also feel there are some unique undelying principles present that make Aikido Aikido and thats probably why there so many different approaches to Aikido and the reason it´s been so widely accepted.. which I like.

In aiki,
Lars
Old 03-06-2012, 03:12 AM   #34
lars beyer
Denmark

Quote:
Cherie Cornmesser wrote: View Post
What makes a rose unique among flowers? Does that make the other flowers lesser or better?
What makes you unique among humans? Does that make the other humans lesser or better?

Aikido is unique (to me) because it is the one martial art that I was drawn to. That does not make other martial arts lesser or better. If it were like some other martial art it would be that other martial art. And that other martial art, flower, human, is unique because it is what it is. It is not trying to be something else.

Sometimes it is good to just accept something for what it is without needing to weigh and measure it against something else.
True
Old 03-06-2012, 05:21 AM   #35
lars beyer
Denmark

Quote:
Mary Malmros wrote: View Post
And why do you need it to be unique?

The need for specialness is a trap of self-deception. It will lead you to many, many disappointments. Let it go.
The need springs from the thought that the future is in part created by ideas and the things we have in common expressed as ideas works as milestones in the bigger picture.
Aikido didn´t reveal itself only by chance but as a consequence of a number of people trying their best
to achieve something out of the ordinary..?
That´s the foundation of all arts, still your argument makes 100% sence.

In aiki
Lars
Old 03-06-2012, 05:46 AM   #36
lbb
United_States

Quote:
The need springs from the thought that the future is in part created by ideas and the things we have in common expressed as ideas works as milestones in the bigger picture.
Perhaps so, but I still don't see how uniqueness is necessarily the outcome of such a process -- or even, that it's a desirable outcome.

Quote:
Aikido didn´t reveal itself only by chance but as a consequence of a number of people trying their best
to achieve something out of the ordinary..?
Well. I'm no expert on Japanese culture, but I think that the implications and outcomes of "trying one's best" are quite different in Japanese culture than they are in western cultures. In Japan, one doesn't "try one's best" in order to become unique, different, "out of the ordinary", or to be better than others, but simply to do the best that one can do at what one has chosen to do. Rather than striving against others, or with reference to others ("I'm better than him, my art is better than his art"), it's a choice to do the best one can on one's chosen path -- which could be the pursuit of a very ordinary activity (for example, the brewing of tea).
Old 03-06-2012, 06:24 AM   #37
Shadowfax

United_States

Quote:
Well. I'm no expert on Japanese culture, but I think that the implications and outcomes of "trying one's best" are quite different in Japanese culture than they are in western cultures. In Japan, one doesn't "try one's best" in order to become unique, different, "out of the ordinary", or to be better than others, but simply to do the best that one can do at what one has chosen to do. Rather than striving against others, or with reference to others ("I'm better than him, my art is better than his art"), it's a choice to do the best one can on one's chosen path -- which could be the pursuit of a very ordinary activity (for example, the brewing of tea).
Posts like this make me wish aikiweb had a like button.
Old 03-06-2012, 09:13 AM   #38
lars beyer
Denmark
Smile Re: What makes Aikido unique as a martial art ?

Quote:
Perhaps so, but I still don't see how uniqueness is necessarily the outcome of such a process -- or even, that it's a desirable outcome.

Hi Mary, I´m no expert in Japanese culture either.
I believe it´s possible to discuss and compare anything respectfully without the need to judge or compete.
Old 03-06-2012, 01:22 PM   #39
Cliff Judge
Japan

My answer to the thread title is:

There is no martial art where the practitioners exhibit nearly as pronounced a sense of doubt and self-loathing over something they choose to apply a significant portion of their life energy to.
Old 03-06-2012, 01:28 PM   #40
Chris Li

Dojo: Aikido Sangenkai
United_States

Quote:
Cliff Judge wrote: View Post

There is no martial art where the practitioners exhibit nearly as pronounced a sense of doubt and self-loathing over something they choose to apply a significant portion of their life energy to.
Actually, I think that the standard Aikido student could do with a little more doubt - then maybe they'd start examining what it is that they are actually doing.

Best,

Chris

Old 03-06-2012, 01:38 PM   #41
lbb
United_States

Summing up what Cliff and Christopher said: aikido is unique because its practitioners are headcases

...or perhaps, a little overly inclined to "practice" in their heads maybe? Either to pick apart their practice, or to shore it up with imaginary buttresses? Certainly there's a ton more hand-wringing and paralysis-by-analysis and "when I'm riding the subway/changing the baby/mowing the lawn, I'm training" in aikido than in any other style I've studied. I don't think that's intrinsic to the style, but it does seem to be very widely tolerated and indulged (where it isn't actively encouraged), so maybe aikido tends to attract those who can't abide being told "shut up and train".
Old 03-06-2012, 01:55 PM   #42
Demetrio Cereijo
Spain

... perhaps they know deep inside there's something wrong and need to overanalyze until they find some kind of validation.
Old 03-06-2012, 04:08 PM   #43
Kevin Leavitt

Dojo: Team Combat USA
United_States

It does seem to attract those that want to intellectualize.

Old 03-07-2012, 05:17 AM   #44
lars beyer
Denmark

Quote:
Kevin Leavitt wrote: View Post
Hi Kevin,
I appreciate your answer.
In Aiki
lars
Old 03-07-2012, 05:25 AM   #45
lars beyer
Denmark

Quote:
Demetrio Cereijo wrote: View Post
... perhaps they know deep inside there's something wrong and need to overanalyze until they find some kind of validation.
Maybe you´re right in the sence it´s a trait of human character to dismiss ones own shortcomings and project them outwards, but that doesn´t apply to Aikido people only I guess.
In Aiki
Lars
Old 03-07-2012, 05:39 AM   #46
Demetrio Cereijo
Spain

I think yu and me are talking about two different defense mechanisms.
Old 03-07-2012, 05:51 AM   #47
lars beyer
Denmark

Quote:
Demetrio Cereijo wrote: View Post
I think yu and me are talking about two different defense mechanisms.
Ok, please explain ?
Old 03-07-2012, 07:49 PM   #48
Mario Tobias
Philippines

Quote:
Kevin Leavitt wrote: View Post
Aikido does indeed need a lot of analysis, theorizing and validation. IMHO, it is not an art based on a collection of techniques but on a collection of principles. That is probably why it takes so long to understand because the principles are hard to analyze, theorize and validate. Over the years in your career, you don't actually collect techniques but you collect principles one by one as you become "enlightened" . Aikido, imo is a principle-based art and not a form-based art. That is the big difference for me.

The difficult thing is that unless you know what to analyze, you can't come up with the theories. Even if you start generating ideas for theories, the next comes the next to impossible task of validating those theories as that idea of yours needs to work on every body morphology.

An example of a principle I know (although it is a natural law) is to use/apply of the concept of work in physics terms to understand where use of energy is minimal to control uke. Our idea of what work is is totally different in the context to work as described as a physical entity. Our mental idea of work is to labor, and in doing labor you are exerting effort every time. But in physics, work = Force X distance. Work is dependent on 3 factors: Force(Ki), distance(where you displace uke or a portion of him) and the angle of the force and distance (relative position of nage and uke). You are doing maximal work if the angle of the force and direction of the distance is 0(or 180) degrees. On the other hand, you are doing minimal work if the angle between the two entities is 90(or 270) degrees. Work varies if the angle is between the 2 angles

As a very simple example, consider that you are travelling with a heavy suitcase. Although you might feel tired because of carrying it and think that you are doing a lot of work, it might not be the case. Consider these 4 cases:

1) if you are just carrying it and just walking along a road, you are actually doing minimal work. The force here is gravity which is towards the earths center, the displacement is parallel to the road. The angle between the 2 is 90 meaning you are doing minimal work.
2) If you are walking up a flight of stairs then you are doing some more work as the angle changes
3) If you are climbing through a ladder, then you are doing maximum work.
4) If you put down the heavy suitcase (no wheels) and push it along the road's surface, then you are doing a lot of work. In this case, not only will you contend with the force of gravity but of friction as well. Friction is along the road surface so the angle is 180.

The application in aikido. You can simplify a person's Ki(force) by imagining it running along the spine and the arm's length. You can observe in all techniques a particular movement by going perpendicular to a persons ki to minimize the energy needed to control uke. Sometimes it is in the form of circles (tangential) like iriminage or ikkyo ura. This "principle" can be applied in all techniques. Unless you know this, you will be just trapped in the forms.

Again this is just a theory of mine but since it is a law of nature, surely it will work all the time no matter who you work with. I have a collection now of about 30 odd "principles" over a 2 decade period. The collection started very slowly but started to accelerate these past few years. The beauty of it is no matter how much difficulty you encounter, you always learn something new every practice. The so called "enlightenment" never stops.
Old 03-08-2012, 02:29 AM   #49
Amir Krause
Dojo: Shirokan Dojo / Tel Aviv Israel
Israel
Smile Re: What makes Aikido unique as a martial art ?

Quote:
Keith Larman wrote: View Post
What makes it unique? Well, the incredibly high ignorance-based smug factor from some is one identifying feature...

Of course that would never apply to me...
Quote:
Wayne James wrote: View Post
What makes Aikido unique from what I have seen/experienced is that Aikido seems to be the martial art that generates the most discussion and opinionated comments on whether it is an effective form of actual self defense.I think there was a thread on this site ongoing for 11 or so years discussing this exact issue.Besides that it is an excellent martial art like all others.
Quote:
Summing up what Cliff and Christopher said: aikido is unique because its practitioners are headcases

...or perhaps, a little overly inclined to "practice" in their heads maybe? Either to pick apart their practice, or to shore it up with imaginary buttresses? Certainly there's a ton more hand-wringing and paralysis-by-analysis and "when I'm riding the subway/changing the baby/mowing the lawn, I'm training" in aikido than in any other style I've studied. I don't think that's intrinsic to the style, but it does seem to be very widely tolerated and indulged (where it isn't actively encouraged), so maybe aikido tends to attract those who can't abide being told "shut up and train".
Quote:
Cliff Judge wrote: View Post

Thanks, I loved reading this

Quote:
Cherie Cornmesser wrote: View Post

KUDOS for this great and very real answer (like)

Amir
Old 03-08-2012, 04:49 AM   #50
Sasha Mrkailo
Dojo: Aikido Sombor
Serbia

It tries to transcend the conflict. It offers no other incentives and rewards than self development.